The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia MODO Bass

IK Multimedia MODO Bass

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

MODO Bass is a virtual instrument that models the electric bass. What makes this one special is that rather than playing multi-layered samples or more more conventional methods of waveform synthesis, it uses physical modeling.

2nd September 2020

IK Multimedia MODO Bass by Sound-Guy

IK Multimedia MODO Bass

MODO Bass and MODO Bass SE (1.5 update) from IK Multimedia

MODO Bass made its appearance over three years ago and was reviewed on Gearslutz shortly after release. It has been updated a few times and two additional bass models were added with release 1.5. And there are now two versions, the full version and a light SE version for half the price. The original review still stands for its description of what is available, and I decided to give it a try when it popped up in the new IKM Product Manager (which has caused quite a stir on forums with some people, me included, appreciating what it does, and others “upset” because they wanted something different). Since I had previously complained about the somewhat convoluted system to access and get products with the old system I found the new Product Manager a definite improvement.

I didn’t think I really needed a new bass instrument, but the idea of a physically modeled one, like MODO Drums and Pianoteq pianos, intrigued me. And there it was!

IK Multimedia MODO Bass-60-pbass-cln1.jpg

What Is It?
MODO Bass includes 14 physically modeled bass guitar models (two in the SE version). Unlike sampled instruments, MODO Bass uses no sound sample files, but creates sounds based on mathematically modeling vibrating strings, resonating bodies, and electro-magnetic interaction of strings and pickups. Being mathematical models you can modify them in many ways: change string type (flat or round wound) and number of strings – you can make any of the guitars into 4, 5, or 6 string basses which is impossible with real hardware. You can age the strings, change the pickup position and even change the pickup entirely, add two pickups where the model normally has only one, swap out pickups to any one or two of 24 individual pickup models, add a piezo pickup under the bridge and add (or remove) active electronics in the guitar itself. You can select from two generic amps (solid state and tube) and use up to four stomp-boxes, or use the DI output to send the signal to other processing gear (such as AmpliTube). You can also modify the playing style, including fingering technique, stroke direction, pick type (hard or soft), and muting. And one capability I found very effective is changing the picking position in real time. This adds subtle variation beyond that of the picking intensity (MIDI velocity).

IK Multimedia MODO Bass-rick-w-6-string-vibrate-a1.jpg
A Rick n’ Bass modified from four strings to six, playing an A# – note the vibrating string and the picking location at 6.03” from the bridge.

The two new bass guitar models are “Metal” (based on a 5 string Dingwall Combustion NG2) and “Imperial” (based on a 6 string Fodera Custom model). Other models range from a 60’s Fender Precision Bass through a Gibson EB-0, a Rickenbacker 4003, and Yamaha TRB5P to an Ibanez Soundgear and a Warwick Streamer.

IK Multimedia MODO Bass-presets-4.jpg
One of the new models, a five-string Dingwall Combustion NG2.

The SE version has only the 60’s P-Bass and 70’s P-Bass models (a Fender Precision Bass with an Alder body and Fender Precision Bass with an Ash body), but has all the controls of the full version so you can still obtain a wide range of tones and playing effects, even creating 5-string and 6-string models.

The main view includes a preset menu at the top, and six tabs to open other views for choosing basic guitar model, adjusting playing style, setting string type and condition, changing electronics and pickups, setting amp and FX choices, and setting MIDI and keyswitch controls. The large central area shows the bass guitar model and is not just a pretty picture – you can change the picking position in this view and see a summary of all specs including any you’ve changed, like number of strings, string gauge and winding type, pickups, etc. Below the face view of the guitar is a view of the neck, strings and frets which is animated as notes are played. And at the bottom a keyboard view which shows what you are playing as well as showing keyswitch areas and settings.

IK Multimedia MODO Bass-presets-1.jpg
Preset window opened to Slap category – note a preset includes everything from the basic model to strings, pickups, electronics, amp and pedals.

More Strings and Tuning
One issue some people brought up with the original MODO Bass was that they could not go as low as they wanted with Low E (41.2 Hz) being the lowest playable note on the four-string models and low B (30.87 Hz) the lowest on the five-string. Version 1.5 added a six string version and a “drop” tuning mode to shift the four-string models down to Low D and the 5/6 string versions to A0 (A below Low E at 27.5 Hz). That’s the lowest frequency I can accurately reproduce in my studio, and likely as low as anyone really needs. And if you really want a lower frequency, the included pedals have the Octaver which will produce sub-bass down one octave.

The Control tab now enables remapping keyswitches and linking controls to MIDI CC, even providing a Learn function. Although MODO Bass does not respond directly to DAW automation, you can use a keyboard controller to implement real-time control and recording of the available playing techniques such as fingering technique, muting, vibrato, harmonics, plucking position, and others. And most DAWs enable editing CC values if you need to fine tune a performance.

IK Multimedia MODO Bass-rick-cc-control-1.jpg
The control panel has been expanded with more possible keyswitches and CC controls.

One problem I found in using MODO Bass is not really a MODO problem, but the old “where is middle C” issue – is it C3, C4, or C5? In the 30-plus years I’ve used MIDI I’ve found it defined at all three “locations” by different manufacturers. So when I first tried to test a bass line from an unnamed MIDI program, I found the notes were an octave lower than IKM uses. This caused two problems – silence when a note was sent lower than the bass model supported, and occasionally triggering a keyswitch to change the fingering mode! Solved easily by putting a MIDI transposer plug-in before MODO Bass. BTW, IKM correctly use C4 as middle C which is standard for an 88 key piano.

How Does It Sound?
In short, excellent! A beautiful range of bass tones is available, even just using the default models. Do the provided models really sound identical to the hardware? I can’t say for sure, but I expect they are close. The various playing styles provide realistic variations and if you can play like Jordan Rudess, you could get a gig as a session bass player anywhere! Even if your chops aren’t world-class, you should be able to get fine results, and using MIDI controllers you can tweak the bass performance in real time or use multiple passes to “comp” the controller data in your DAW. Check out the IKM site for some performances, and you can find more videos online with a wide range of examples.

Technical Details
MODO Bass is available as Audio Unit, AAX, VST2 and VST3 – for 64 bit OS only, Mac and Windows. In my test system (PC Audio Labs Rok Box PC running Windows 7 with 4-Core Intel i7-4770K, 3.5 GHz, and 16 GB RAM) a single instance of MODO Bass uses from about 1% to 2% CPU resource so even a couple basses in a mix is no strain. Latency was always zero samples, so real-time playing can be very responsive.

Conclusion
A fine sounding collection of virtual bass guitars with extreme flexibility and excellent response to playing technique, which, luckily for me is keyboard-controller technique rather than guitar picking technique!

Do you need a virtual bass? It depends on what you do, of course. If you use a computer just for practicing by making backing tracks, then it might be overkill. However, if you mix tracks that sometimes need fixing with instrument replacements or you create your own productions using some virtual instruments, MODO Bass will give you the most detailed control over a bass sound you could want. And if you perform live with a keyboard controller and need a realistic and responsive bass, MODO will deliver.

Pros
You don’t need to be a bass player to play MODO Bass – a keyboard controller can yield great results, and a non-guitarist can play (or program) a wide range of performance effects.

Can create an “infinite” number of variations, some possible with the real hardware (and a very competent guitar technician), and some that would be impossible.

Can easily adjust tones within a mix, as it is playing, using the physical and electrical adjustments – this can help get a bass tone that best supports the other instruments.

You can use a keyboard controller not only to play notes, but also to switch or continuously vary playing parameters – all the controllable parameters can be linked to a Keyswitch, aftertouch, pitch wheel or a CC MIDI message, and you can use the Learn mode to quickly connect a parameter to a controller.

Much, much cheaper than buying 14 “classic” bass guitars!

Cons
Not really much to complain about. A minor issue is that controls do not respond to conventional DAW automation – you need to use a keyswitch or MIDI CC message. This is because MODO Bass was developed with real-time performance in mind. You can use a hardware controller to play and record any control variations, and with most DAWs you can also program/edit MIDI CC values.

No room reverb included, unlike MODO Drums which has six beautifully modeled room environments. However, if you use AmpliTube, you’ll get both rigs and rooms. And if you use FX buses for reverbs on auxiliary sends, then you can get your room vibe there.

Since you can create an “infinite” number of variations of bass guitar, you could end up spending the rest of your life just tweaking models and never recording a real song!

Not a cheap package, but the SE version at half price provides all the controls, amps, stomp-boxes and design modifications of the full version with the two basic Fender models which still provides a lot of possible tones.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...dex.php?p=info

Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia MODO Bass-60-pbass-cln1.jpg   IK Multimedia MODO Bass-rick-w-6-string-vibrate-a1.jpg   IK Multimedia MODO Bass-presets-4.jpg   IK Multimedia MODO Bass-presets-1.jpg   IK Multimedia MODO Bass-rick-cc-control-1.jpg  

1st April 2017

IK Multimedia MODO Bass by MikeRivers

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
IK Multimedia MODO Bass

What started out to be a review of how this interesting virtual electric bass VST plug-in that’s based on physical modeling of a vibrating string could be viewed as a learning tool turned into a lengthy article. It’s about what makes different basses sound different, and how IK Multimedia presents the tools that let you customize an instrument in physical ways rather frequencies, filters, and MIDI velocities.

I rarely use virtual instruments myself, and I’m not a bass player, so there was a lot for me to learn here (which is why this project has been festering for about five months). Hopefully you’ll find something useful here, too.

Briefly, it's a VSTi plug-in that can also run as a stand-alone program. The basis for the models are 12 "iconoc" (that means you'll probably recognize some or most of them) basses from a 1960s Fender Precision to a modern Yamaha. Out of the box, they all sound completely competent as virtual basses, but the fun comes when you start playing around with both the components of the instrument and the playing style.

You can do things that you'd only do to a real bass if you had a good woodworking shop or luthier at your disposal, like change the position of the pickups or replace the pickups on the instrument you're working from with pickups from any of the other instruments in the lot. You can add active electronics, change the strings (flat or round wound, brand new, broken in, or well worn).

You can choose playing with your fingers (first or second finger or alternating), hard or soft pick, or slapping and snapping. You can choose the picking position, and with a MIDI continuous controller, can even move that around dynamically as you might do in performance.

There's a pretty generic amplifier simulator - one tube and one solid state, and a pedalboard with your choice of four out of a list of seven. There's also a direct output if you want to plug in a favorite amplifier simulator of your own choosing, send the output to a hardware amplifier for live playing or studio recording, or record a virtual DI track for re-amping later.

IK provides a library of 155 presets which are complete setups consisting of the model, pickups, style, pedals and amplifier, some of which are pretty standard, others quite far off-the-wall, and of course you can save your own setups when you come up with a combination that you like.

I went into quite a bit of depth studying the effect of many of the adjustable parameters, making recordings, and measuring spectral content as well as latency time.

Space and patience (yours and mine) precludes me from fillng this review here with technical details, spectrum plots and spectrograms. Also, Gearslutz company policy prevents me from linking to my full detailed review, but after you're finished with your gear geeking for the moment, you can follow your nose to my web site and download the 32 page PDF review from there.

Or just get a copy of the program and play with it. You'll have fun and, if sound design is your thing, you'll have a lot of tools at your disposal to create just exactly the right sound you need.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search