The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio 1073MPA

Stam Audio 1073MPA

4.95 4.95 out of 5, based on 11 Reviews

Based on the Neve 1073, Stam Audio has delivered a beautiful sounding pre-amp for a fraction of the cost. The tube mic I tested through it sounds warm and rich but also clear and natural.

18th March 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by domhowardmusic

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Stam Audio 1073MPA

I have been using my UAD Apollo for amping my microphones but with it only being a duo, and the 1073 software taking up so much processor power, I decided that I needed a good quality outboard pre-amp that would help take the load off the Apollo. Sometimes I will stereo pair things like acoustic guitar, so having a two-channel pre-amp was also important.

I ordered the 1073 from Josh (originally I had ordered an SA4000 but I was informed it would not be ready until much later in the year, and to be honest I probably will still get that as well!) and once payment was made, delivery was very fast.

If you're after quality outboard that won't break the bank I would highly recommend looking into Stam Audio.

29th March 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by CeilingSounds

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

The missing piece to my vocal chain puzzle! You will absolutely be satisfied with this pre amp. So far I've used it on vocals, electric and acoustic guitar, and bass. Sounds great with the input gain on a lower setting for a cleaner tone, and gets just as crunchy as you expect it to. Just sounds great. Got mine with the Sowter outputs. Up next for me is the SA4000!

30th March 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by Sanlky

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

I have been using this pre now for 2 weeks, with several recordings. I am really happy with the addition of the Stam 1073 to my pres Arsenal.

I havent used many 1073 style pres before, but i used several neve sounding pres and they were all so different, i cant say how close to an original 1073 it is, but it sound really great.

It has 2 selectable impedance(if i remember correctly 600 & 1200ohms) with the Hi Z switch, this really change how mics interacts with preamps, some mics i used sounded just fine without engaging the button, and others i felt like i got a bigger bottom end.

How i would describe them sounding? Crisp, Clear but no transparent, in Vocals its just amazing, but in general i got in my face sound without using any compressor. Tried it with Stams Sa2a with little compression, and i got a big, loud and clear vocal. Generally to achieve this using other pres, i have to use lots of EQ, some parallel distortion, this Pres, delivers me that sound right away.

Also you can play and dial more Gain and trim it down, you can get several tones from this Preamp. If i were to have a big studio, i would buy 3 2 channels rack to get 8 pres, but in my actual studio, 2 1073 pres are enough i may consider adding more later if i were recording drums.

Build Quality, Knobs and switch are top notch quality, it looks and sounds great.

4th April 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by martin.gorosito

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

I received my stam audio 1073 two weeks ago. Since then I have used this preamp recording guitars, drums (overheads, kick and snare) and voices geting incredible results. It's really amazing the versatility it has, achieving clear sound to a fully-character audio using different settings of gain and trim. This preamp has a very sweet hi end and a low end with a lot of depth.

The construction is really strong and great quality. My conclusion is that the stam audio1073 has more than professional audio quality, and a very well-done vintage character. And the price is really good. I'm already thinking to purchase more stam audio1073 units.

8th May 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by dogears

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

I built a small project studio setup around these preamps. They have some options at configuration, I opted for the Sowter transformers.

They have a great sound. They are fat and open, have that typical thick Neve transient. Immediate smile on my face when I use them.

I've used different clones of various "famous" preamp designs as well as originals of the same, and I will say these sound more like their namesake than any other clone I've used has ever come to it's prototype (Neve or any other).

It's hard to have a product review for a Stam Audio product without talking about Joshua. He's a great guy and pours his heart into the work -- it shows. I've bought multiple products from him, and he's always had good customer service. The products are well worth the wait. You really can't beat the quality of the product at all. When you factor in the price you pay, it's an unbeatable value.

11th May 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by sheld32

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

We've had the Stam-1073 for just over a week now, and i can say we are totally blown away, We are a project studio doing our own material previously using the Ssl Alpha VHD and TL Audio VP1 for tracking, all i can say is these two units since receiving the Stam-1073 will not see much more action, its a taste of what can be achieved with high end equipment and i think theres no going back.

12th May 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by bowzin

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

This is a home run. It has every feature people want in this space: name-brand Carnhill or Sowter transformers, high-quality parts, very authentic sound, an impedance/tone switch, and it looks beautiful and fits two channels in ONE rack space. Build quality and sound quality were both far better than expected. All that for a VERY low per-channel price point.

Bottom line: this unit and the single-channel version are the absolute bone-cheapest Neve-style preamps I'm aware of that DON'T have significant drawbacks. These look and sound absolutely high-end, and I can't tell a difference between these and my Seventh Circle Audio N72's (highly respected), to give an idea on quality.

I'm loving what's coming out of Stam. Theyre SA4000 and SA2A are high on my list to try out, and I have a pre-order in for their SA87 mic as well. Very impressive so far guys! Keep it up!

15th May 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by DJamesGoody

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

Bought this a few weeks ago, after buying their SSL type comp earlier this year. There's no way around it, they build great gear, at a no-brainer price.

I have plenty of great gear. My studio is not a home studio, and though it's my private studio, The Isokon is where I have done Bob Weir's Blue Mountain, Craig Finn's last two solo records, Kaki King's last two records, and several dozens of others. Needless to say, I'm not a weekend dabbler in recording. This is what I do, and if a piece of gear doesn't do what I need it to do, I don't keep it.

The Stam 1073 is a great piece of kit. Basically sounds like a Neve. Is it exact? Who knows. Ive never heard an original 1073 that sounds exactly like another, so that's an unnecessary question. The better question to me is whether or not it does the Neve thing, and with class. Yes it does. Period.

You can spend double or triple on the usual suspects, when it comes to Neve clones, and it will be no better than the Stam. It wont be built better, because this is built like a tank. It won't sound better (maybe different, but not better), and again, it will cost double or triple what this costs.

I'm now on the hook for two excellent Stam pieces, and await their U87 clones. I have no doubt I will keep buying things they build.

19th June 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by PaulRain

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

I'm still digging this amazing preamp, I used on vocals and acoustic guitars for the moment but will put in to the test with other instruments as soon.
I have other preamps:
Warm Audio WA12, Five Fish MX5, SPL Gold Mike 9844, Joemeek TwinQ, M-Audio DMP3 and the Focusrite Octopre MKII.
The Stam Audio is the one I like the most, it makes any microphone sound better. The WA12 and the Five Fish are also very good but different taste.
I don't have a real experience with the original Neve but to be honest I don't really care if it sounds or not the same, for me what is important is if it sounds good... and the 1073 certainly does.
I was really surprised to ear how much better some modest microphones could sound though it.
Do your self a favour and buy one of these.

29th June 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by mamou

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio 1073MPA

Just got mine today, so only a few hours, but Holy Cow....Lovin it so far.
i like the step switch for the gain, and the trim can completely shut down the signal, making it easy to crank the gain, and slowly bring the magic back in with the trim, i was hitting -12Db peaks all afternoon regardless of gain knob position.
I through up a KM184 for a acoustic guitar and a NTK for vocals. Did some Neil Young tunes. Gobs of tone for singer/guitar set up. My Pacifica usually takes that gig, but the Stam is fantastic.

Hoping by Sunday to have bass DI, guitar cab and drum duties completed so i can update this. I am looking forward to a 4 mic drum set up, and switching the A-Design and Stam around. And of course how well it will stack in the mix. The Pacifica has always been my favorite pre, by sunday it maybe sharing that title.

Joshua and company are wonderful folks. They seem to have had a few growth
spurts this year. Which is wonderful, they use top of the line material, small batches and everything is by hand.

7th July 2017

Stam Audio 1073MPA by andrew caramia

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Stam Audio 1073MPA

first of all, id like to thank joshua for his help and patience with my emails. a very genuine character, josh answered all my questions as well as transferring my deposit from his sa87 to this 1073 preamp with sowter transformers as I happened to come across a Neumann u87 at the right time. he also sent this pre via DHL for a very decent price.
to compare this pre, I also own a manley TNT and API a2d. my tests were with my u87, cad e100s, and synths via a multi stereo input transformer balanced DI merger (made by yours truly), into the preamp mic inputs- then into a ua2192 adc.
it sounds completely different to the manley and api, which sound more... 'modern'? the stam isn't better or worse, it holds its own. and its a third of the price of both. the manley sounds 'sweet', the api a little 'chilly' (in a good way), and the stam is definitely more 'vintage' in character. its reminds me of my huge transformer laden Yamaha PM2000 console I once owned, and sorely miss- but with more clarity. that is VERY high praise indeed. it also sounds similar to a bae 1073 I played with once, and again its about a third of the price! in short- warm, yet bright and detailed. Easy to slam without breaking up. mics come to life, and everything sits in the mix without much work.
stam audio may come across as DIY, but a lot of effort has been put into the enclosure and build quality, it looks and feels as good as anything else in my rack. and im very happy (unlike a lot of reviewers) to have an external power supply, the unit is totally quiet, and the brick is solid and hefty.
thanks josh, I will be investigating more of your products in the very near future!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search