The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure QLX-D Digital Wirelss System

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A quality digital microphone that is easy to setup and sounds great. Lots of top end sparkle, full mids and lows with no drop out or latency issues.

2 weeks ago

Shure QLX-D Digital Wirelss System by Glenn Bucci

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Shure has a QLX-D series of digital microphones that has the same audio quality, reliability, and RF performance of their more expensive ULX-D series at a cheaper price. The main differences are network sophistication and RF flexibility.

Why go digital over analog wireless? Well for starts they sound better. As the Shure web site says "Digital wireless systems offer highly transparent audio quality. This is largely due to the lack of a “compander,” a circuit used in all analog wireless microphone systems to minimize noise and maximize dynamic range. (Compander is a contraction of the words compressor and expander.) The audio signal is compressed in the transmitter to accommodate the limited dynamic range of FM radio and then expanded in the receiver. This process, while relatively imperceptible in most good analog systems, can still lead to audible artifacts (like “pumping” and “breathing”) that make a wireless microphone sound different from its wired equivalent."

In addition the battery life last longer with digital over analog.

QLX-D transmitters have two RF power levels: 1mW and 10mW (milliWatt.) ULX-D transmitters have three RF power levels: 1mW, 10mW, and 20mW. The higher 20mW setting can prove useful in tough RF environments.

We went with the 87a capsule over the dynamic capsule. It provides a very clear sound with a great top end that has the sparkle you would expect from a higher quality microphone. Lows are controlled but full and their is a new mid fullness. I did not detect any latency and the receiver I found very easy to use and setup. My church bought 4 of them and it is simple to put them all on a different frequency and to sync them to the particular mic for each. There is a nice LED meter on each mic and receiver so you know the strength of the battery.

The manual is written well and it helps you to setup the system pretty quickly.

I am a big fan of this microphone. If you are looking at getting a good digital wireless mic, I would highly recommend this mic. It sounds great on both male and female voices. Quality does costs more however as this digital wireless system is just over $1,000.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search