The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha CS-5

Yamaha CS-5

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Smooth sounding and versatile bargain in vintage synth dollars.

3 weeks ago

Yamaha CS-5 by Beatfreq

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Yamaha CS-5

I recently got this little synth in a trade, and am so impressed by not only the smoothness of is sounds, but it's versatility for such a spartan little synth.

It's 1 oscillator outputs both square and sawtooth waveforms. These are modified by a PWM, then sent to a mixer, where noise or an external signal can be added. there is one LFO, with sine, Saw, or Sample and Hold waveforms, and one ADSR. These mods can be applied to either the amplitude pitch, or filter, with knobs. The VCF is a multi mode, Low pass, Band pass, or Hi pass unit. It sounds so sweet, and really has a sound and character that is different from anything I've used. The VCA has initial level, ENV, or LFO modulations.

Whats really been great for me about this synth, is the external input. Running drum loops, other synths, even sounds from my Eurorack can benifit from a little trip through the CS filter. I've seen these going for very little money on eBay, and after a little time with this, I'm definitely going to look for the CS-15 or CS-20, bigger brothers.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search