The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-87

Stam Audio SA-87

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Recreation of the Neumann U87 vintage microphone.

3rd February 2017

Stam Audio SA-87 by IzzyRock

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-87

I had the chance to test the SA-87 at my studio a few weeks ago against my Neumaunn U87ai and Neumann TLM 103 with a great singer through my 1073 preamps. The SA-87 I got from Stam Audio had the Heiserman capsule and a Sowter output transformer

I can honestly say I am very impressed with how this mic performs.

The first most obvious difference was that the Stam did not have that painful energy around the 3 to 5k area that I always try to cut on my 87ai, it sounded fuller in the low end and smoother in the top end which is in line with my experiences with a vintage 87 which is what the SA-87 is based on.

We did a few takes on all 3 mics and after processing both mics with the same EQ I liked it even more, it reacted beautifully to EQ and both me and my singer preferred the SA-87 on top of a 4 times more expensive U87ai!, quite a surprise.

The story with the TLM 103 was similar but even more drastic, at least on male vocals these two mics were in a different league, the SA-87 sounded bigger, with nicer mids and overall more expensive sounding than my TLM 103 which sounded thin and harsh in comparison.

I can seriously recommend this microphone. While there are other clones most of them have chinesse made capsules, I truly believe the capsule itself justifies the price difference from other similar offerings and the output transformer makes a nice impact on the low end as well. The mic sounds like the best vintage 87 I have heard and for only 790.00, it is a no brainer

9th April 2017

Stam Audio SA-87 by MarkGuerraM

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-87

This mic has a nice, warm and unique sound that most of new young producer or engineer hadn't has the chance to taste. The response of this mic gave you a great deal of low and mid low without taking the clarity and quality of the voice. Also, the mid range is not painfull. It's just right. And when you boost the high range, the voice get a fully, beautiful and smooth tone.

I have to say that StamAudio take this job to the next level and their job doesn't end until you get what you pay for. A vintage super cool mic.

I recommend the SA-87 for everyone that is looking for a new sound away from what we hear constantly. And StamAudio for everyone who take their sound as a very own one.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search