The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-87

Stam Audio SA-87

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Recreation of the Neumann U87 vintage microphone.

3rd February 2017

Stam Audio SA-87 by IzzyRock

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-87

I had the chance to test the SA-87 at my studio a few weeks ago against my Neumaunn U87ai and Neumann TLM 103 with a great singer through my 1073 preamps. The SA-87 I got from Stam Audio had the Heiserman capsule and a Sowter output transformer

I can honestly say I am very impressed with how this mic performs.

The first most obvious difference was that the Stam did not have that painful energy around the 3 to 5k area that I always try to cut on my 87ai, it sounded fuller in the low end and smoother in the top end which is in line with my experiences with a vintage 87 which is what the SA-87 is based on.

We did a few takes on all 3 mics and after processing both mics with the same EQ I liked it even more, it reacted beautifully to EQ and both me and my singer preferred the SA-87 on top of a 4 times more expensive U87ai!, quite a surprise.

The story with the TLM 103 was similar but even more drastic, at least on male vocals these two mics were in a different league, the SA-87 sounded bigger, with nicer mids and overall more expensive sounding than my TLM 103 which sounded thin and harsh in comparison.

I can seriously recommend this microphone. While there are other clones most of them have chinesse made capsules, I truly believe the capsule itself justifies the price difference from other similar offerings and the output transformer makes a nice impact on the low end as well. The mic sounds like the best vintage 87 I have heard and for only 790.00, it is a no brainer

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search