The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode M1

Rode M1

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Live mike for those of us whose voice doesn't fit the SM58. Cheaper too, and rugged aplenty.

1st February 2017

Rode M1 by haraldthi

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Rode M1

I sing in a place where they have all SM58s, and my barytone/bass voice almost disappears with it's peak being in the upper mids so I sought for something I could have for myself, yet not too expensive.

The Røde M1 has a boost around 120 Hz, and then another in the presence range, so it suits me much better.

The mic is sold as a pop/rock microphone, able to take all kinds of abuse, and even though I've never tested it that way, it certainly looks like it.

The mike is rather heavy, the handle being carved out of massive aluminium. This handle also makes up the outer parts of the XLR plug, making the in-house made plug virtually indestructible. The plug has the ground pin longer than the others to avoid pops, and while there's a rubber ring for wobbly plugs I find that at least a Neutrik plug fits well without it.

There's a ring in the middle holding the microphone element, and where you screw the ball and the handle on and off. The handle holds a cable running into glue in the handle, the ball is a wire mesh with foam inside.
The ball is washable, just let it dry and screw on again.

The element is also all metal, except a plastic ring near the top, I guess to dampen ringing in the plate above the diagraphm.

I'd say the mike is at least as solid as the SM58, and while it doesn't have the flattest response in the world it's flatter than the SM58 and it suits me rather well.
It's a typical dynamic with all it's benefits and limitations, and for the price I'll say it's a winner. As I build my mike collection I plan to have a stash of them, maybe not for the lead singer but for choirs and for children and others who're likely to drop or otherwise mistreat their mikes.

Attached Thumbnails
Rode M1-img_1554.jpg   Rode M1-img_1556.jpg  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Rode M1
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search