The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Volko Audio QA & QB

Volko Audio QA & QB

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Great sound, easy to use, and awesome user interface.

26th January 2017

Volko Audio QA & QB by auralart

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Volko Audio QA & QB

The QA and QB EQ plugins inspired by some of my favorite American EQs are fantastic. First and most important, they sound great and give me the flavor I want and am used to from the hardware. The low end is tight, mid range is punchy and the top end doesn't suffer from nasty artifacts that many digital EQs are prone to.

I really really like the user interface, especially because they didn't go for another generic cheesy hardware-like faceplate. It's easy on the eyes. Everything is very well laid out and the meters on the top are a very nice addition.

All in all, I'm impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to use these as my go-to's on drums and guitars.

31st January 2017

Volko Audio QA & QB by PVJesper

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Volko Audio QA & QB

Comparison
I like API voiced gear. Waves API bundle gets quite of bit of use, although the 2500 have become more essential for me than the EQs, for some reason. Naturally, I went and did a proper comparison between Volkos and Waves rendition of the same gear.

After comparing, I definitely prefer Volko. Waves sounds a bit “rough” in comparison. Volko seems to add energy a bit higher up than Waves. I enjoy the colour Volko adds, and I think it makes most things sound more pleasant, and sit better in the mix. I didn’t actually think before I tried that the two EQs would differ this much in sound.

I put together and attached a small comparison, using a bit of guitar, snare and vocals from a song I’m working on. All raw tracks apart from a bit of compression on the vocals, using all bands of the EQs.
Order of the clips: Guitar - Raw, 550a, QA. Vocals - Raw, QB, 550b. Snare - Raw, 560, QG.
https://soundcloud.com/jesperbrunnst...arison/s-VuYHl

CPU Usage
I’m using a PC with a quad core Intel i7 processor, which is 5 years old. I tested the number of instances I could run. I used the QB and Waves 550B, all bands boosting/cutting a bit, 10 instances per audio track. I hit between 90-100% CPU usage at 310 instances for Volko, 700 instances for Waves. The Waves plugin seems to take about half of the processing power to use. 310 instances is still a big enough number to make the extra CPU usage not a big deal for me.

GUI and Usage

I think it looks great. I could really do without another 3D model of the actual hardware. Allowing me to change the gain by all values instead of the 2dB which is possible on the hardware makes it so much more useful for me. Separating the two dials like most EQs, gain and frequency (as compared to the hardware and waves clone) makes it much easier to use.

UPDATE: Volko fixed all my problems i had with the GUI at pretty much the first major update. It is resizeable now, and the values are easily shown. Ease of use went from 4 to 5.

Conclusion
I have never used an actual API 550. I can’t possibly tell anyone what emulation is good not. But I really think the sound of the Volko Q American series is superb, and it will get a lot of use. I think it is way more fun recording and mixing when the gear you use have a bit of character.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search