The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Golden Age Project comp 3a

Golden Age Project Comp-3A

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Excellent Mix Bus compressor and should serve ANY studio compression needs in a lovely way.

15th January 2017

Golden Age Project Comp-3A by Darth Preamp

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I bought the Comp-3a to use exclusively for a mix bus compressor for our new CD RaiBard, the three tunes up on our site were mixed through the Comp-3A but were subsequently mastered, so keep that in mind.

I used it on the mix bus on every tune, and in short, it is brilliant as a bus compressor. It is so good and rich sounding and can be used in many different ways with the mix bus, all of which sound really nice and have a very subtle yet pleasant color.

Can you tell I like it?

More in depth:
I previously used the Golden Age Comp 54, which I adore! But I wanted a slightly less thick approach to our cd as we have plenty of thickness already. that came out wrong!

Anyhow, the Comp-3A has two main controls, gain and peak reduction. Gain controls the gain or how much gain the signal receives, and peak reduction sets the threshold of where the compressor is set in order to, catch the peaks . . . I just said nothing . . . sorry.
But you get the idea;

Gain=Volume
Peak Reduction=How much Compression
It is perhaps more complicated than that . . . but whatever.
So Gain, Peak Reduction and . . .
HF control knob=Sidechain filter
Stereo link=Stereo link for two units
Mod=Slightly different circuit? Decreases the gain by 24db
30/50db = adds 20db more to signal
Compress/Limit=Compression or Limiting
Bypass=On or Off
Meter=Gain Reduction or Volume in +4 or +10

Phew . . . I hate that part of a review.

First off linking them is easy as pie. Really, just follow their instructions or ask the dealer whom you bought it from. Which reminds me, I decided to buy from Zen Prop Audio, and let me say they are EVEN BETTER than people say. AMAZING!!!

So I linked them up, viola. after messing with them I was able to get some really cool bus compression that brought out a lot of the richness in the recording that seemed to be hiding out inside my modest rig. I used about 1-4db of Gain Reduction as I wanted to leave the major limiting and compression for the mastering phase.

For bus compression a Comp-3A can give you beautiful and subtle compression to extreme thickening, if needed It works amazingly as a bus compressor, just wonderful. Oh, and BTW, they are built like tanks!! Very good construction.

I have a very wet dream about having a bunch of these to use during mixing. Oh man!!! To my mind they would sound great on just about anything, and could be used in just about every capacity you could think of. Bus compression is the acid test of a compressor. Period. As bus compression can really tell you the overall potential of how the compressor responds to vastly different material.

Again, In short, in case you are like me and skip from the beginning to the end of reviews, the Golden Age Project Comp-3A compressor is a totally brilliant and completely amazing piece of kit. Does it sound like the original?
WTF cares? It sounds great and is useful and comes with a warranty, and if you buy from Zen Pro, comes with an EXTRA warranty. So yes buy it if you have any desire to, you won't be disappointed.

Again, in case you missed it, you can listen to 3 mastered tunes, that were mixed through the Comp-3A here:
RaiBard

3 weeks ago

Golden Age Project Comp-3A by CPhoenix

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I purchased this, along with a 2A clone, SSL bus comp clone, and 1176 clone.

I can't say this is my favorite compressor. On vocals, I lean towards 2A and a little 76. On kick drum, I favor the 76.

However, when it does work... it's really the perfect sound I wanted. I find myself mostly using it on acoustic guitar. I use virtual acoustic guitar (MusicLab product line)... and it really brings the strumming/plucking of these to life... better than my other compressors in my tool kit (analog and software). Sounds like a live guitar.

I'm still weeding through more uses... but... again, when this is a good option, it's the best option in my studio. For that... I give 5 stars all around. The price is insane for this quality.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Golden Age Project comp 3a
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search