The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Audio Crimson

SPL Audio Crimson

4.35 4.35 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

USB Audio Interface from SPL

24th November 2016

SPL Audio Crimson by Woodhouse

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
SPL Audio Crimson

I've been using the SPL Crimson for over 3 years now . Before I go into saying that it has a good sound quality , based from my experience I'd advice anyone to stay away from this garbage . In 3 years , there hasn't been a single project , nor a single day that my work wasnt crippled from the driver issues of this interface. I had mailed SPL several times regarding this issue. They came out with a new driver update this February and while the minor improvement had me feeling better for a little while , it soon became clear that this release too was no way close to 'good'
Let SPL themselves to work on a project with this interface and see how it works out.
It is one thing to release a bad driver and totally another thing to ignore the complaints and pretend as if the problems aren't there. They do not respond to emails nor do they seem to take up any responsibility for these issues.
This is no exaggeration . In day to day work the most important thing is to have a stable driver performance without freeze/BSODs/ and crackles. Can you imagine having to restart the system a dozen times a day with the client sitting there ?

I just regret not having bought something like RME .
About the sound quality , I can say that it has very nice pres and DA/AD . But its pointless if you can't get a decent workflow.
Worse is SPL's customer support. Stay away from this product if you want peace of mind.

27th September 2017

SPL Audio Crimson by Heartfeltdawn

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
SPL Audio Crimson

Contrary to the review above, I haven't had projects constantly ruined by the Crimson. It's been with me for three years.

When I first had it, the drivers were not fully developed. There were issues, no question. But these have been updated to the point where there are no issues at all for me using a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Now it handles everything. Multitasking, flipping between spreadsheets and audio projects, fine with games... the sound quality is superb, way ahead of my older soundcards (RME Babyface, Multiface, and HDSP PCI card, M-Audio Delta 66, Steinberg UR22). I had been using a TC BMC-2 as an external DAC with the Delta 66 which was a huge jump over the Delta 66 as DAC: going to the Crimson was a next level moment

Personally I love it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... SPL Audio Crimson
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search