The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG D40

AKG D40

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great dynamic mic, delivers clear and accurate sound.

25th September 2016

AKG D40 by Mario-C.

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
AKG D40

Impressive dynamic instrument microphone.

Delivers a clear and accurate representation of the source, it has a clarity to the sound that made me think I was using a condenser, the varimotion dual thickness diaphragm designed to eliminate high frequency resonances really works, resulting in a more realistic sound than with the usual dynamic mics.
The short body makes this microphone easy to pack and transport, fits in already tight gig bags, placement in tight spots is easier.

I'm using the D40 on guitar amps with much better results than the usual standards, on loud guitars it sounds very much like the amp in the room which is great for me, you're listening to the amp and not the mic colouring the sound, it has a very clear midrange without the honk, great highs without the fizz and clear tight lows, so far I love the D40.
I did a quick test with an SM57 (Mexican made) and a D40 and the D40 was the clear winner, it was a night and day difference on the same speaker. Multiple summed guitar tracks made an even bigger difference.

I've also used the D40 to record trumpet and trombone with great results, it delivered a great sound in both cases.

I've only used the D40 in the studio and can't wait to try it live. This mic is under the radar but it's awesome. it's also affordable at $99 bucks.
It's fantastic on guitar amps. It sounds great on toms and percussion, on snare it sounds very good but I usually prefer a super cardioid mic.

Do I like it better than the SM57 ? Yes, definitely, it's a big step up for me, my experience with 57s is that you need a great (sometimes expensive) preamp to get them to sound really good, with the D40 I've been able to get them to sound great with cheaper or expensive pres, highly recommended.

Attached Thumbnails
AKG D40-mesa-cab-d40.jpg  
Last edited by Mario-C.; 23rd March 2017 at 05:19 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... AKG D40
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search