6th April 2016

Clavia Nord Lead A1R by Disease Factory

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Clavia Nord Lead A1R

The Nord Lead a1r: Wow, I was thinking it would sound a lot like the nord lead 4 but more limited. It kinda is and does. But at the same time, the new FX, the delay, reverb at the same time, plus the chorus/ensemble/flanger/phaser/ringmod Totally puts this in another dimension. This synth is more in your face and varied than the nord 4, the nord 4 is a typical prophet jupiter style poly synth with a few bells and whistles. The a1's fx and new osc are what set it above the nord 4. vastly different presets as well, and i do feel like i prefer them both for different things. for fm, nord 4, for strings a1r, for bells its a tie, for soundscapes, a1r because of the fx. for heavy modulated sounds the nord 4.. Also the formants in the a1 are better and i can make choir pads with them that sound great, not the case on the nord 4 that sounds more throaty not as airy like the ones in the a1r.. I like the a1 a tad more, but for in your face pissed off snappy sounds, nord 4 all the way. The adr asr envs don't bug me at all as much as i thought it would. so many times i don't use sustain really. Its cool to have the filter descend to the half way point and stay as long as the key is held, then release when key is released, and this is all Sustain is for on the filter, on the amp i don't like loud then quieter on hold. its still ok to have, but its no deal breaker on the a1r at all. What the a1r reminds me of the most is the alpha junos with all the wave forms. But its got these prophet sounding filters and moog and roland tb. its confusing, it should be like the nord lead 4 and 3 and 2 in sound, but just isn't, its not. It sounds like someone fused a prophet and a roland together. I like this WAY more than the prophet 6, or the ob 6. So glad i went this way, i can layer four sounds. For the price of a prophet 6 module, i have a nord 4r, and a1r. and 8 sounds of poly synth. a1r only has one lfo, 2 envelopes, weird osc configurations and less modulations than the nl4 I like this more the the virus. Wow. I do love the virus too. No Aliasing on the a1r either. AMAZING.

So they both have the nord sheen to the sound, and if you hate that, you wont like either.

Nord Lead a1r: 9/10

I give a slight edge to the a1r, because i was able to pull off very similar nord 4 type sounds, and new stuff the nl4 cannot do, like lush pads and strings thanks to the ensemble fx and the new osc types in the a1r.