The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure KSM32

Shure KSM32

4.1 4.1 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Cardioid-only condenser microphone w/pad and HP filters.

19th February 2012

Shure KSM32 by edva

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure KSM32

The Shure KSM 32 is a single diaphragm, fixed pattern, cardioid condenser microphone intended primarily for studio use, although it has found its way into the live arena as well.
The mic shares the now-familiar Shure LDC body design, and appears to be well constructed. It ships in the usual, very nice, small metal case, with mounts and cloth bag. It is available in either "champagne" or "charcoal" finishes.
The mic has both pad and lo-cut switches provided.
Sonically, the KSM 32 has a clear, bright tone that is noticeably tilted toward the high frequencies. The highs are relatively smooth, but can sizzle a bit with a sibilant or crispy source. I tested the KSM 32 on vocal and other sources through a Midas H3K console, and found myself using EQ to control the highs, as they were not "silky" but instead a bit too present or forward for my personal tastes. I have also used the mic to distant-mic choirs and string sections, and it performs better in those types of situations, where its high frequency capture and reach are a good fit for the task at hand.
The KSM 32 is a quality instrument, but would not be my first call on most things, because it is too hyped in the highs and not quite smooth enough in that area for my tastes. But, for those wanting a well built, bright sounding mic, it is a decent value.

21st February 2012

Shure KSM32 by StudioChris37

Shure KSM32

This was the first microphone I purchased when I was setting up my studio, 13 years ago. Which doesn't seem like a long time ago on the timeline of Vintage Gibsons or AC30s. But it is for a reasonably priced mic that I didnt know how to use. Given how green I was.

This mic has not only LASTED 13 years of 7 different studios in two states plus regular live use. That resume alone make this mic invaluable to me. Ive used it on vocals, acoustic guitars, Snares, kick drums, room mics, violins, voice overs all which sounded good. Not amazing, not great, but I can always count on my KSM 32s to deliver. No matter what.

These days they see alot of use as drum overheads or as guitar amp distance mics. They've definitively been outshined by a few other Flashier mics but they always deliver.

Chris Short
Alpaca Ranch Recording

17th March 2012

Shure KSM32 by trustsound

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Shure KSM32

I bought one of these and decided to sell it the next day. A review on youtube of a guy who loves this mic made me curious, but the mic didn't deliver as much as some of my favorite mics. 6 out of 10 is the best I can do. Sorry shure.

18th March 2012

Shure KSM32 by bhj357

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure KSM32

I have used the KSM 32 for voice-over, male & female vocals, solo guitar, upright bass, jumbo ac guitars, dreadnought ac guitars, piccolo snare w/brushes, full rock drumset overheads, harmonica & dobro; it is excellent for a "single-mic" setup, even with a modest mic preamp.
It is accurate & relatively transparent in all of those applications.
A very sturdy cardioid LDC for most "in the field" & studio uses.
Love it, esp for the price.

17th March 2016

Shure KSM32 by playon

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure KSM32

I've been looking for the right pair of overheard drum mics for some time. I've owned pairs of Schoeps, Neumann KM84, CAD e100, various ribbon mics, and recently had been using my Beyer MC930s for overhead duties. I have a home studio room that is treated but it has 7' ceilings, and I generally like to record drums with minimal microphones, usually the setup is two mics in a Glyn Johns array, with individual mics on kick and snare, and a room mic. None of the OH mics I've tried over the years have been exactly what I was looking for, until I found the Shure KSM32s.

I recently bought a pair used for $650, put them on my drums in the Glyn Johns setup, and was immediately blown away. This was the drum sound I'd been hearing in my head but could not realize until now. The kit sounds dynamic, full and big, the cymbals are present and detailed but don't slice your ears off with sizzle, and the toms sound great, full and punchy.

These mics use a 3/4" capsule, between a LDC and SDC in size. The included shock mounts hold the mic very securely and work well. There is a switch for a -15db pad, and a three-position switch for flat, low end roll-off at 115hz, and HP filter at 80hz. On the drums I'm using them set flat, I like to use OHs to capture the entire kit. I don't know what these mics sound like on other sources yet because I don't want to take them off the drums (vintage Ludwig, 20" kick, 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom, with various snares).

I had been using my MC930s for drums and they sounded good, (they are very nice SDCs) but compared to the Shures they sounded more two-dimensional and they have a presence peak at around 12k which can get tiring on the cymbals. The KSM32s are not small mics and not quite as easy to position, but not really a problem. Build quality is what you'd expect from Shure. I'm sure these would be great on other sources as well, I'm just happy about my drum sound. I cannot recommend them enough for this purpose.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure KSM32
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search