The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphoneparts.com T-47

Microphone-Parts.com T-47 Kit

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Build a kit and get an incredible microphone for the price of a cheap-o!

14th March 2016

Microphone-Parts.com T-47 Kit by CindyB

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Microphoneparts.com T-47

I bought the T-47 as a general purpose mic, but my main wish was a mic for recording upright bass acoustically. Big thanks to Matt at MicrophoneParts.com for helping me narrow my search to the T-47. The build was very straight forward. All the parts were there and were clearly marked. The manual is amazing. If there was a Pulitzer Prize for instruction manuals, this one would win hands-down. Reading the list of recommended tools on the web site before hand is a wise idea. The long, pointy soldering iron tip was really important. Building the kit took about four hours, but I had a bad cold and too much help from cats. If you can focus on building, it should be more like two to three hours. I've built kits before and I never expect things to work right the first time I plug it in. Except for this kit. It worked perfectly. No resoldering, or pouring over the manual to figure out where I messed up. The soldering iron was still warm and I was using the mic! I couldn't hear any noise at all from the mic itself and I listened very hard. It's very sensitive. It picks up really subtle things. You will want to hunt down tiny room noises or they'll drive you crazy. The mic response is much flatter than other mics I have. It doesn't have that "chirpy" high-end boost that I really hate when micing instruments. Some may find it a tad dark. Personally, I liked the darkness for the instruments I'm recording. I may have to boost the mids a bit to get things perfect, but at least the mids and lows are there and aren't being buried by the highs. I think this would be a great mic for male vocals too. The T-47 sounds great up close, but it also seems good farther away. I look forward to experimenting with it as a room mic. Oh yeah, on top of all this, it's green. What more could I want?

The only negative I could find (hence the 4 on "ease of use") is you have to unscrew the shell to access the switches for the pad and the cardioid/omni settings. However, it does have these controls which a lot of mics don't.

8th January 2018

Microphone-Parts.com T-47 Kit by ilias

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Microphoneparts.com T-47

I have used many ldc microphones.
I have: m149, u87 ai, m147, tlm 103, akg 414. I have high end gear and have experience with many of them.

Sound quality:
In terms of sound quality it's very close to much more expensive mics. You really buy a quality mic here.
You will be blown away the first time you plug it in by the neutrality of the sound.
Its warm without aggressive highs, very colorful mids and big bottom. It has a modern-vintage vibe.
For that money its amazing.

Great thinking from Roswell audio to not make a replica. It really has its sound. Even if you dont use it everyday it will always stay in your locker. You ll find many uses. The only small negative thing I found is that if you push it hard it produces some saturation around 4k. It's something you can avoid easily if you put it in distance but even if you record some of that, you can easily correct it later. It's not a bad thing. Sometimes i got that also with a M149 if i push it hard but a bit less. That's the only reason why i put a 4.5 and not 5.

I found it great for Upright Bass, it the only time i didn't needed to put more mids to hear the bass in small speakers. Guitar Amp for solos also excellent. For singers with a pale voice. Also if you want a vintage tone for a crooner singer it's perfect. Great also for room mic with the Omni pattern.
Even if it doesn't currently fit for your voice, you'll sure find 1000 uses.

Easy of use - features:
Its not easy to make a kit but not that difficult either.
The manual is very well done.
Hopefully the support from the company is more than amazing if you make a mistake or dont understand something. Really got crazy when they responded so fast and so detailed. Big bravo. As for the mic, its not easy that it has the pad on/off and omni/cardio switches internally but its not bad either. I like it. It makes it more robust and beatyful outside.

Bang for buck: 100! Its astonishing how good it is for what you have paid. Roswell audio is far the most honest great sounding company i've seen so far. These guys they don't want to fool

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Microphoneparts.com T-47
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search