The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia karacter 500

elysia Karacter 500

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Flexible and powerful

1st March 2016

elysia Karacter 500 by Onan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Elysia karacter 500

I was on a quest for hardware saturation/distortion units right about the time the Karacter was released, and I feel lucky it came out just in time to fill my lunchbox. I can't explain the Karacter nearly as well as Elysia does, so you owe it to yourself to watch their video's demoing the unit.

It's wildly flexible. The M/S function is where mine lives, so I can subtly give stereo sources more breadth and warmth than I ever can with eq. I use the UAD-2 Brainworx Saturator, Fairchild, and Studer A800 plugs to add saturation in Cubase, but the Karacter does it even better. Plug ins are getting really awesome, but to my ear the analogue gear still does saturation even better. I have some other hardware saturators at my disposal, too, and along with the plugs that add good saturation, I find that I get better results by dialing in the right saturation than I ever did by using more eq. The saturators let me boost the harmonics in the frequencies I want, and it sounds better than eq (usually). Real analogue saturation is (IMHO) the missing ingredient in a lot of digital production. The Karacter is a great solution to that problem, and seriously, if you haven't tried its M/S function to saturate stereo tracks, you're missing a world of sonic beauty.

4 weeks ago

elysia Karacter 500 by petterisariola

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Elysia karacter 500

I got the karakter a few months ago and I’ve been very happy with it. It’s easy to use and the sound quality is top notch. You can add thick analog saturation to any signal, and the different overdrive characters combined with the tone control and M/S mode offer a surprisingly colourful palette of sounds.

I’ve really enjoyed the low-end saturation sounds, but I haven’t found much use yet for the more top-end region overdrive. These ”tube screamer” -like tones are more extreme and I guess they’d work well with a cab sim after the karakter.

The wet/dry blend control combined with the input drive and wet output volume is great, you can really fine tune and balance the volume of the saturated signal with the original material. The M/S function can bring intensity to stereo material, or add punch and grit on the mixbuss.

Overall, I’m very glad I got the unit and I’ve been impressed with the sound quality and the variety of subtle and over-the-top overdrive tones it can produce.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Elysia karacter 500
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search