The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonic Farm Silk Road

Sonic Farm Silk Road

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Sonic Farm Silk Road World Class Dual Chan Mic Pre

15th February 2016

Sonic Farm Silk Road by Kevin Williams

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Sonic Farm Silk Road

I’ve been working with an amazing young singer/songwriter from Northern Alberta over the past while and late last year she approached me on recording her debut album. Almost at the same time Boris asked if I would like to try out his new Silk Road Dual Chan mic pre. The timing was perfect as I ended up using it extensively on the whole project. Being that I only at this point had the one unit, I started with it on the drum kit overhead mics. I used a matched pair of Josephson C-42’s set-up in an ORTF position (which I like and have used extensively in years past) However I have never heard the sound of that pair come even close to what I experienced using the Silk Road. Bringing in the kick close mic’s seemed to be all that was needed and adding EQ seemed to be redundant and nearly criminal. Amazing clarity, phase integrity, headroom and definition, undoubtably the best experience I’ve ever had recording drums! After that I used the Silk Road exclusively on electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass, grand piano and vocals for the remainder of the project and as with the drum OH’s very same experience!
In the world of mic-preamps the Silk Road will inevitably be compared to numerous other standards and familiar go-to’s most of which at some point over the years I’ve used. Further, it has variable signal options that can be switched in and selected which can then offer differing sonic characters that will flatter any audio passing through it which I love. I’m confident the Silk Road will be my go to mic-pre for the future and looking forward to purchasing at least 2 more!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sonic Farm Silk Road
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search