The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PreSonus HD7

PreSonus HD7

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Monitoring Headphones

2nd February 2016

PreSonus HD7 by analog greg

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
PreSonus HD7

I traded some gear with a guy, and he offered this headphones. He said don't you know these, everyone's crazy about them. As I was missing proper monitors, I said ok, why not.
So the package says it's neodymium drivers, extended bass, 32ohms, 10Hz - 30kHz (really?), and 'patented tuned acoustic chamber'.
At the same time they aren't very expensive, so I didn't expect much. Real leather at this price? Construction is typical plastic, with metal wire on most critical parts.
I discovered that HD7 sounds great on most or every sources. I only had hi-fi headphones to compare, and HD7 goes way beyond that. They really deliver beyond 20-20, though my hearing can't really follow that far (but I clearly hear the sound exists at that frequency, compared to farting I hear at 30Hz on hi-fi headphones). The sound is precise, not muffled in any way, and I hear more details than I used to. With synth sounds it's an interesting exploration, with some older recorded projects it's scary…
I wouldn't say the sound is overhyped, except maybe pushed little in bass. I wouldn't say I get fatigue after some listening time, even the 'leather' pads are comfortable enough for longer hours. Not sure what acoustic chamber exactly does, but I guess it has something to do with distance between drivers and your ears, which is zero with cheap headphones.

Uses for HD7? As the design is 'semi open', maybe they might bleed too much for recording singers, I didn't try this scenario.
Video editing? Absolutely. Working with synths, programming and recording critical vintage keyboards? Yes please. Tracking and even mixing? Well why not. Not many people do mixdown with headphones and I think it should be a special ones for that, but HD7 might do the trick on a budget. What I'm not sure however, is how they would translate mixes to other systems, haven't had chance to try that yet, but I guess that would be hard nut even for high end ones. Still, I have impression that with HD7 I get better sound monitoring than with a cheap monitors.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... PreSonus HD7
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search