The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken Elektroakustik CU-29 Copperhead

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The CU-29 "Copperhead" features a NOS TELEFUNKEN 6AK5W vacuum tube and a Lundahl LL1935 output transformer.

3rd September 2013

Telefunken Elektroakustik CU-29 Copperhead by thelowcrow

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Telefunken describes this mic as "present but not harsh", and as marketing-speak goes, they're right on the money.

The CU-29 is a large diaphragm, cardiod-only, tube mic utilizing a NOS EF-95 tube and a Lundahl output transformer. If you crack open the mic body, you'll see one of the most spartan circuit layouts I've ever seen in a microphone. It comes with a shock-mount, 7-pin cable, power supply and mic box. There is no carrying case, no HPF, no pad, and did I mention it was cardiod-only? For a mic at this price, I would have liked to see at least the carrying case, but I'll trade a pretty box for a solid mic any day.

This is a quiet, well-built microphone that sounds great on a variety of sources, but it has some caveats. This mic is very present. I have used it to great effect on upright bass, acoustic guitar, female BGV, drum overhead and the M of an MS setup on a group of BGVs. Sonically, it wants to make whatever it's on "poke through", which is great for any instrument that you would normally boost upper mids on. I love it for jazzy upright bass, or a relatively dark mahogany-body acoustic guitar. Contrarily and unsurprisingly, it sounded awful on fiddle (over-emphasizing the bow-to-string noise) and banjo, and can hype sibilance on many singers.

This is not an all-around, workhorse mic, but it generally gets used on nearly every session. You have to think your way around this mic a bit, but if you're looking for a "forward" mic that's not brittle like so many of the budget LDCs, then reach for the Copperhead.

1st February 2016

Telefunken Elektroakustik CU-29 Copperhead by TheDawg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Decided to review this mic after spending a LOT of time with mine. This is one of Telefunken's least expensive mic's in their lineup but it should not be dismissed at all. The Copperhead has a very unique look which is cool and is a conversation starter once you put it in front of a vocalist.

More importantly is the sound of the Copperhead which is really well balanced. The lows are full and tight, the highs are smooth and rounded and not as bright or brittle as most other mic's are. Now let's talk about the mids because I like to believe it got its name from the slightly mid forward "bite" that it has. It just captures the mids on vocals very nicely and in the process kind of naturally de-esses sounds too. Not so much that you don't need to use a de-esser plugin after recording but it does have a way of taming sibilance.

I really love the Copperhead on aggressive vocal recordings (rap, rock in particular). Especially because of the top end being smooth and rounded, I don't have to worry about any eq boosts in the 12k+ range becoming too brittle or shrill. Where as with other mics that high end is apart of the vocal sound and it would take more effort to shape the top end with either additive or subtractive eq without messing up the balance.

The Copperhead is a slept on mic that's for sure. If you're working with rappers, loud rock guys, or any VO, for the price point, you cannot go wrong with this microphone! Combining it with the right pre-amp is key to getting the most out of it. I have many pre's and have found the Rupert Neve Designs pre's compliment the mic extremely well because the pre is really well balanced from end to end. Followed by the Shadow Hills Mono Gama and A-Designs P1 which both are solid on the low end but add to the high end by brightening it up a bit. My least favorite pre to use with the Copperhead is any Neve 1073 clone pre's because they're low end combined can get muddy sounding.

16th October 2018

Telefunken Elektroakustik CU-29 Copperhead by Rob Coates

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5

At first, I loved the sort of velvety tone of the Copperhead. The more I used it however, the more I realized it has a sort of a "mushy" tone for lack of a better description. I set it up side by side with a modded MXL V77 tube mic for testing on my own vocals (I'm a baritone). I couldn't believe it myself but the V77 sounded much more balanced (lows, mids, highs), and was more detailed and cleaner than the Copperhead. It's a very cool looking mic but in the end I decided it's use would be much too limited for me to keep.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Telefunken Elektroakustik CU-29 Copperhead
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search