The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Impulse 49

Novation Impulse 49

3.65 3.65 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Nice keybed for a decent price. Automap could be better.

31st January 2016

Novation Impulse 49 by stgscottz

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
Novation Impulse 49

I have had the Novaiton Impulse for a little over 2 years now. I'd say for about 1 year it has rested dormant, though has been in regular use for the last 7 months.

The most important part is the keybed. It feels pretty nice. There's a nice balance of resistance for different playing styles. It's responsive to both velocity and aftertouch. The aftertouch can be difficult to use...you're either in the 0% or 100% aftertouch position. It is tough to hit spots inbetween especially if you wanted to work quickly. I have nothing to compare that too.

The rest of the controls feel solid as well besides the encoders. They suck. A mechanical pencil's lead being pushed out is enough to spin the encoders (I just tried). So it's easy to accidentally move them.

Automap I wish was more flexible. Maybe I just don't understand how to use it yet, but there are only certain things you can connect their functions to that are predetermined by Automap it seems. There's a list of parameters you can map a particular control to, and if what you want isn't there, you're out of luck (as far as I can find).

One thing I really like about this keyboard is the built in arpeggiator. It makes it easy to come up with some cool ideas straight from the keyboard and has a variety of arp settings. You can set the tempo by tapping one of the drum pads.

One other thing. I have twice within the past couple months had the controller start spitting out random MIDI messages from particular faders consistently. The first time it happened, I took the controller apart and tried to look for dust or hair but did not find anything. However, when I put it back together, the controller was working fine. Idk. I hope it doesn't happen again.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Novation Impulse 49
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search