The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure MV88

Shure MV88

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Stereo Mid-Side Condenser mic for iPhone/iPad.

30th January 2016

Shure MV88 by Jared Paul

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure MV88

I bought this for the purpose of having a decent stereo field recorder in my pocket at all times. I like to gather ambiences and effects out in the world, both for use in post-production/sound design, and just to collect for my own purposes. There are many times, places and situations where one can't carry a big recorder bag, boom pole etc.

I LOVE this thing. I have been hugely impressed with the sound quality; my recordings come out nicely detailed, clean, and with a large and realistic stereo field. The mid-side design makes it quite versatile; you can adjust the wideness right there in the app for recording different sources, or even set it to mono.

The app is quite functional and well designed, easy to use, and is a free download. It's got an onboard limiter, and some basic compression, EQ etc. Even if you don't have the mic with you, you can still use it with the built-in mic, as an improvement over Apple's voice memos. You can also upload your recordings directly from the app to Dropbox! (Or to your computer via itunes.)

It comes in a sturdy, convenient little zipper pod, along with a basic windscreen. There is an additional windjammer you can buy for $40, which to me seemed a little steep for such a tiny furry; I ordered a $10 generic one and I'm hoping it will fit okay.

My one complaint with the mic, which comes as no surprise: it can be quite difficult to avoid handling noise when you're using it handheld. Again, this is nothing I didn't expect. But it can still be frustrating. Not sure if there's any kind of shock-mount accessory available, but I'm thinking of trying a "selfie stick", even though it would make me look like those idiots on the Brooklyn Bridge who I always make fun of.

I haven't tried recording any concerts or rehearsals yet but I'm sure it would be good for that too. Seems to have ample headroom for louder sources. This is definitely a handy tool for composers, bands etc.

Overall, tremendous value, for $150 it's a no-brainer for anyone who wants to have a good convenient recorder with them at all times!

26th December 2019

Shure MV88 by vizcities

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Shure MV88

After reading a few middling takes on this mic both here and elsewhere, I figured I'd second the previous reviewer: for a small stereo electret condenser powered by a phone, this thing creates totally usable tracks. (Think Zoom's onboard stereo XY, but in a MS config instead.) Though it's not an ideal field recording mic - the its deficits are magnified by distance - the MV88 is still a marvel and offers surprisingly clean mobile capture on the cheap.

While I won't to run through all of its features again, I will reiterate the mic's clarity and, via its robust Motiv app, versatility. I spent large chunks of my holiday this year in acoustically awful hotel rooms and was surprised by how smoothly the app's EQ settled my acoustic guitar's screechy treble and boomy low mids, as well as the room's ugly standing waves and reflections. The mic also offered a myriad of configurations (figure-8, cardioid, variable width stereo, raw M/S), allowing me to play around and see which made the most sense. Hell, it even flattered my oft-finicky voice without sacrificing articulation! I mean, let's not go nuts here: as flatness goes, it's not a KM84 or even a Line Audio CM4, and it has a fairly Zoom-esque skill set and series of use cases. But it's a) capable of recording mix-ready tracks (more on that a second), b) generally free of any Chinese mic-style icepick highs, and c) not a one-trick pony. For the price and type of product, I'm beyond satisfied.

A mild caveat: it's a bright-ish mic and, as I said, it doesn't love distance. That in mind, I'm not sure I would use it to record the foundation of a non-demo song. However, I would happily bring it over to a friend's house to overdub vox, guitar, percussion, etc. Not bad for $150!

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search