The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mesa Boogie Roadster

Mesa Boogie Roadster

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

4 Channels, 12 voicings, 50/100 watts, individual reverb levels, spongy or bold power amp voicing, effects loop with a hard bypass option, and choice of tube or silicon diode rectification... This amp is fantastic!

29th January 2016

Mesa Boogie Roadster by D_T_Music

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Whether you're looking to play clean smooth jazz, bright country, tweedy blues, classic British rock or balls to the wall metal this amp will have you covered.

I have had mine for two years and have played a bunch of shows in a variety of bands and venue types it's always had me covered.

Ch1 has 3 modes Clean, Fat and Tweed. I generally run it on tweed and use it for my light crunch setting. It really does a great job getting me the Stevie Ray Vaughan sound if I want it but it's a great all around crunch too.

Ch2 duplicates the Clean and Fat modes but instead of Tweed, has a Brit mode. This tone falls somewhere between the Vox and Marshall voice but with the right EQ you can cop either fairly well. Great for AC/DC type tones. I usually use this channel for my cleans.

Ch3 has Raw, Vintage and Modern modes (the standard modes for Rectifier channels 2 and 3). I use it on Vintage for my solo tone.

Ch4 provides the same voicing options but is voiced slightly differently to favor the Modern mode. Ch4 has more presence than 3 to give the modern voice a lot more bite. I use this for my heavy rhythms.

Each channel can be independently set at 50 or 100 watts. I have always left everything at 50 except for my clean channel which I set at 100w for the extra head room. Playing outside through a 2x12 cab with a full band and no mics my guitar could be heard clearly 2 blocks away so volume should be NO issue.

I also love that I can set my reverb level independently for each channel, this means that I can have a nice lush reverb on my clean channel and when I switch to my heavy channel even if I don't have time to turn the reverb off, it won't muddy up my distorted guitar tone.

I love the power amp in spongy mode, I feel like it gets me a little more saturation.

The only feature I haven't experimented with much is the recto tracking. I bought mine used and don't trust the rectifier tubes that came with it and I've liked the tone enough with diode rectification that I haven't bothered switching them out.

This amp is about as versatile as it is possible to make with an all tube architecture. There are a lot of knobs and switches though and the tone stack has it's own thing going on, so it's not the most intuitive amp. I highly recommend reading the manual before messing with it too much.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Mesa Boogie Roadster
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search