The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audeze LCD-2

Audeze LCD-2

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Planar Dynamic headphones for mixing and mastering

17th January 2012

Audeze LCD-2 by Lunatique

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Audeze LCD-2

The LCD-2 is currently the best headphone I own, and I have quite a bit, not to mention have auditioned even more. To give this review a proper context, I'll need to list the other headphones I have so you understand what the LCD-2 is being judged against.

My other headphones are:
Stax 007MK2 (with Stax SRM-717 amp)
Denon AH-D950
Denon AH-D7000
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD555
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Equation RP-21
Pioneer SE-DJ5000
Westone 3
Westone 4
Shure SE-530PTH
Shure SE-535
Shure E4C
and my studio monitors are Klein+Hummel O300D's.

The best thing about the LCD-02 is its authoritative and deeply extended bass. It goes down all the way to 20Hz and remains pretty much ruler-flat from 1KHz to 20Hz--no irregular bumps or dips or roll-offs (many expensive speaker/sub systems can't pull this off). Its bass response is one of the very best in the history of headphones--accurate, tight, neutral, deeply extended, and powerful when required to be. It is also non-fatiguing, with a very full sound that's unlike any other headphone in existence (except the LCD-3, which costs twice as much). These are the most unique qualities of the LCD family sonic signature.

The upper-mids are a bit recessed (but very detailed), and some might want the treble to be a bit more airy (but plenty of people think its treble is perfect). I personally do EQ the LCD-2 so it's as close to ideal neutrality/accuracy as possible. If you want to learn how to properly EQ headphones, read this thread:
My EQ curves for LCD-2, HD650, M50, and 007mk2

The main drawback of the LCD-2 is its weight. Some people think it's too heavy. I think it's fine, although it is certainly heavier than any headphone I've ever worn. Its stiff 1/4" instrument cables also bother some people, although you can buy third-party cables for it.

In conclusion, LCD-2 is one of the best sounding headphones on the market, and it has made a huge splash in the headphone enthusiast community (such as head-fi.org). It is considered a minor miracle because at less than $1,000, it is widely considered superior to many headphones that cost much more. No other headphones on the market does bass like the LCD family of headphones--not even the multi-thousand dollar super-high-end headphones like the Stax, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, Hifiman, Grado...etc flagships.

Pros:
-One of the very best sounding headphones in the world, despite costing less than $1,000.
-LCD family of headphones have the best bass response in the history of headphones.
-Non-fatiguing.
-Very full sounding, in a way that no other headphone in the world can match.

Cons:
-Weight is too heavy for some people.
-Upper-mids is a bit recessed (although you can EQ it to compensate).
-Cable is thick and stiff (although you can buy third-party cables for it).
-Earcups are leather, so if you tend to get sweaty ears, you should by headphone sanitary covers (just google for them).

28th January 2016

Audeze LCD-2 by bbindon

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Audeze LCD-2

I recently picked up these headphones in order to do some work away from the studio (Treated room, Focal SM9s). I haven't had much luck in the past with headphones for mixing and mastering, due to their generally lacking, or overhyped low end. I work on alot of electronic, dance, and pop - so I have to have total control over the 30-40 hz range.

These headphones absolutely dominate all other I have tried for low end. They are as accurate and tight as my SM9s, and best of all, they are that controlled no matter what room you are in!

I will say that they are a little rolled off on the top end, but running them through a powerful amp, or especially balanced totally fixes this problem.

Amazing headphones for professional work, when using studio monitors is not an option.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audeze LCD-2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search