The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR44

Steinberg UR44

4.4 4.4 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Sternberg UR44 is a great small packaged audio interface that doesn't take up a lot of room, but has a lot to offer.

26th January 2016

Steinberg UR44 by Ptmmtp

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Steinberg UR44

I've had my UR44 for a little over a year and 4 months and I'm very pleased with the quality of the product. The machine itself is built like a tank with a quality metal casing that's sleek but doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. The knobs have full rotation ability to dial in exactly the volume or gain you want, and are easily removable if one cracks, falls off, or you just want a different color.

But enough about the aesthetics, let's talk about the sound quality and functionality. The Class A D-Pre's are a very nice preamp, not to mention you get 4 of them. Very clean sounding for the price of $299 dollars. Also are 2 line in inputs, MIDI in/out, a left and right stereo along with 4 outputs. The 4 D Pre's have gain knobs for each, but channels 1 and 2 have a Phantom Switch and Channels 3 and 4 have a Phantom Switch, so you can't have individual channel Phantom Power. The two rear line inputs also do not have gain control or Phantom Power, but with the included DSP MixFix software, you can choose +4 gain or -10 gain. There are peak and Phantom Power indicators, but I'm not too fond of the peak indicators as it's only a single LED. But, I and most can manage. The option of channel 1 and 2 having Hi Z is great for recording any guitars or basses.

What I'm really happy about is the two headphone channels that through the DSP Mix Fix can have separate monitor levels. Just having the option of using 2 headphones built into the rig is a big plus for me. The output knob control controls the stereo output, but does not control the 4 other outputs. Again, I can manage without that, but just make sure the output source is turned down low and gradually pump up the volume as this rig can give off a loud signal.

I'm very pleased with the MIDI capabilities of MIDI in and out. Works fine and doesn't have any issues from what I can see.

The rig is very low latency, which being a drummer I need and love. Even at higher kHz it's still low latency, speaking of that... It is a 24-bit system which can record up to 192kHz. I never have a need to record at 192, but it's an option I enjoy having if I feel bored one day. it's a nice option and capability to have if you're one to record at the best possible quality.

The main reason why I bought this was for the class-compliance, meaning... I can hook it up to an iPad and record with it. I use this feature all the time and it is not only a life saver, but amazing. I use Auria with the UR44 and they work perfectly together without issues (except for the occasional CPU hit where I need to close out and reopen the app, but that's the fault of an older iPad). it records well and is a great feature to have if you don't own a laptop but need a travel rig.

All in all, it's a fantastic piece of hardware for the price point. It doesn't have the complete best features, but that's to be expected for $300 dollars. It's well built, doesn't take up a lot of room, and has a lot of features compared to other products in the price range.

2 weeks ago

Steinberg UR44 by phunkay

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Steinberg UR44

Extremely well designed, incredibly rugged. Well thought out and built, a great interface for a beginner or hobbyist. I hate the dsp software. High noise floor, not great preamps but decent enough for non demanding uses.

Highly recommended in this price range, but there may be better options if you're willing to spend a bit more!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Steinberg UR44
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search