The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Sound Lyra 2

Prism Sound Lyra 2

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

High quality interface with 2 in 4 out.

26th January 2016

Prism Sound Lyra 2 by alexvdbroek

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Prism Sound Lyra 2

Prism Sound Lyra 2

A high quality USB interface.

Details:

• 2 A/D Analogue input channels select from:
  • 2 x Microphone XLR inputs with phantom power and 20dB pads
  • 2 x High-impedance front panel instrument inputs
  • 2 x Balanced line inputs on TRS jack
  • 4 D/A Analogue Line Output channels
  • Headphone output with independent mix and volume control
  • S/PDIF Digital in and out on RCA/phono
  • S/PDIF / ADAT Digital in and out on TOSLINK optical
  • AES3 mode on RCA/Phono with supplied XLR adaptor
  • Word-clock sync I/O on BNC connectors
  • Sample rate conversion on digital inputs or outputs
  • Ethernet port for future expansion

The Lyra 2 is an excellent interface. It is of top-notch quality. The pre-amps are excellent and extremely clean. They provide a tonne of gain. The conversion as you would expect from Prism is also great.

I purchased the prism as I used to have a firewire interface and wanted to have something that would work with future computer upgrades. The USB connection ensures this. I often record remotely and the Lyra 2 works well with its size and of course it has an ADAT input so I can plug my External Preamp unit in there, giving me up to 10 inputs.

The trend these days seems to be to have as less knobs as possible on the front of the unit. Its not my favourite thing as I'd prefer to turn a knob than to use the software mixer, but it works well enough. The Lyra also automatically picks up what sort of input I have inserted so that cuts down on clicks. The software mixer is very comprehensive so you do need to put some effort into it, and I enjoy being able to control the routing so thoroughly.

This interface is excellent.

2 weeks ago

Prism Sound Lyra 2 by ilias

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Prism Sound Lyra 2

Intro:
I have worked with multiple products before this one.
Rme ucx, motu ultralite, ua apollo, anteloppe zen tour, metric halo uln 8, metric halo 2882, audient id22.

Prism products are on top of my preference list with metric halo units. These two companies are better and more advanced in that domain than any other. Universal Audio, Rme etc will need many years to understand their programming.

Sound quality:
Lyra is a perfectly clean transparent and musical in any sense. Mostly the convertors are it's most powerful point. They are top notch. Phone amp is very reveailing too. The preamps are very good but I dont find them superb or exceptional. But ofcourse if you want a transportable unit its great to have them.

Easy of use:
Its very easy to use, I have nothing to against say here.

Features:
Except the inline limiter/soft clipper that I never use which I dont find the sound quality that good. I prefer to set good level and never use a limiter. There are no other features. Its a superb sounding unit for pc and mac with all the basic functions you'll need to make music.

Bang for buck:
Its a bit expensive for sure. I think for the moment if you want a great sounding unit for mixing mastering and recording then give the money and take it. Thats why I got it and I forgot the problem of sound. Otherwise go for something less expensive.

Extra info - Comparisons:
the only product that I have heard a better da convertion than lyra is uln 8, its more transparent in the dynamics. The ad in lyra is better. The preamps in uln are better than the lyra, more musical, in lyra its very good but a bit sterile. Also if you want a cheaper nearly 1-1.5k go for metric again, uln2 or 2882. Great units, they sound much better than ua, anteloppe stuff. For even cheaper units under 1k then go to motu for transparency, audient for the preamps., ua twin mk2 ofcourse is usable and can do your work, wont be dissappointed very versatile but not something exceptional. The new motu units are very good for the price again. Except if you want UA plugins. Anteloppe is not good so far imho. The best unit by far for the moment in any price is uln8. Its a mystery of engineering how they put so many stuff inside with so good sounding quality.

Sum:
If you care about sound quality, you want to mix or master projects and do some recordings at home, then grab this unit and start working without thinking anymore if there is anything less expensive that you could buy or could have bought. You won't find anything except Metric Halo. The quality is so good you'll never doubt again if your converts' dynamics lie to you or the stereo field has problems etc. Everything that's there is there. You can have great recordings too. What else do you want?

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Prism Sound Lyra 2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search