The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve Designs RNDI

Rupert Neve Designs RNDI

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

I own direct boxes by Radial, Countryman and some custom built units stuffed with premium Jensen 12:1 transformers. The Rupert Neve Designs RNDI sounds better than all of them.

26th January 2016

Rupert Neve Designs RNDI by foldback

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Rupert Neve Designs RNDI

This is an excellent sounding direct box, hands down the best I've ever heard. Try it and you'll hear the difference, it sounds "sweet" in the high frequencies. I detest describing sound with words but this is as close as I could come.

The RNDI makes my Stratocaster sound like it's from another world, almost acoustic in tone, it's so transparent and musical.

I never thought a DI box could be so different but this one is amazing, very much worth the price.

The steel enclosure has a nice feel and provides additional shielding that you don't get from extruded aluminum.

The RNDI is capable of taking anything from musical instrument level input all the way up to the output from a power amplifier. A switch on the unit changes the input level.

My advice, try it! It's the best!

Good music to all!

27th January 2016

Rupert Neve Designs RNDI by COSMAL

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Rupert Neve Designs RNDI

I honestly cannot say enough positive things about this piece of equipment. A high end active DI box utilizing a discreet class a amplifier and only the highest quality components.

Starting with the basics, the unit costs $269 retail, which imho is chump change for anything coming from Rupert Neve. Though it seeems a bit crazy to spend almost $300 on a DI, this thing is life changing. Having the ability to not only work with extremely high impedance sources, but speaker level sources as well, this is an extremely versatile unit.

I have mainly used this unit for direct recording of PRS and Steinberger guitars, and like many other reviewers have said, this thing really makes your instrument "shine" if you are looking used to DIs like radials and whirlwinds (generally considered industry standard and "lossless" in fidelity) then you are in for a very nice surprise. Not only is this DI lossless, but it seems to actually enhance the sound of your instrument as well. It gives the top end a certain shimmer and brilliance, tightening up the bass end, and smoothing the upper mids. When pushed with high level instrumentx, it even adds a bit of classic Neve coloration which can be extremely pleasing in most scenarios. When pushed with lower level volume instruments it gives the cleanest tone ive ever heard from my guitars. Also seems to add a slight boost in perceived volume due to the added power it seems to give the instrument.

All in all i have been extremely impressed by this unit and will likelynever do a recording session again without figuring out some way to implement it.

2 weeks ago

Rupert Neve Designs RNDI by Vasily111

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Rupert Neve Designs RNDI

I needed a DI box for one specific reason: accurate recording of a clean transparent DI of my electric guitars for reamping purposes.

Basically, I was looking for good transparency and a lot of input headroom, which could handle high output from passive pickups on my guitars (I am quite a heavy hitter when it comes to picking too). The idea is that I should play the clean signal through this DI -> clean Mic Pre -> interface, and then play it from interface -> reamper the way, the signal should be exactly like if you plug your guitar into the amp without this whole chain in between. Since the DI is at the very beginning of the chain, it probably affects tone the most.

Having read a lot of reviews, I pulled a trigger on RNDI hoping it can give me what I hoped for.

The results are quite mixed:
From one point of view, it's a super sweet sounding DI box. It just has some magic in it, making clean guitars sounding nice and warm. It handles any level really well, and has ultimately no audible noise. In the blind tests RNDI is easily recognizable.

Unfortunately, I found it to be coloring the tone too much for the reamping purposes, where I needed everything to be flat, cold, transprent and uncolored to give the effects and amp chain to do their work as if you plug your guitar directly.

Even though I returned RNDI, I highly recommend this magic box to those, who don't plan further reamping of DI signal, and would like to enhance the tone of their instruments when tracking.I clearly see this thing to have a good use for recording acoustic guitars, synth/keyboard or bass DI.
For the reamping I decided to give Radial JDV a shot, as it looks promising on a paper. Hope to publish a review once tested.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search