The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG K7XX (Massdrop)

AKG K7XX (Massdrop)

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

AKG K7XX (Massdrop) Limited Edition (6000 units). BARGAIN Mixing headphones.

26th January 2016

AKG K7XX (Massdrop) by Mr Funk

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
AKG K7XX (Massdrop)

Ok, every time I see a thread asking about headphones for mixing, I always tout these bad boys.

At only $199, these have to be the best buy in pro headphones, as they are the same as the K702AE, which in turn is pretty much the same as the K712, only with different ear pads I believe.

The Massdrop K7XX's are made in china rather than Austria, but they use the same parts, apart from there is some metal on the K712's and also the K702AE I think, where as the K7XX is all plastic. However, they are still tough besides being light weight and I have pulled them off my desk lots of times and they have not even scratched.

They are super comfy and not as hard to drive as I had read, but I don't like to monitor as loudly as other people do. They are better with an amp of course, but my iPhone and Macbook Pro get enough level out of them.

So, onto the sound. Well, all I can say is they seem very balanced to me. My mixes are much better since using them, with pro's telling me that my mixes are fine. The soundstage is good and there is enough info in the troublesome low end.

If anything, my mixes are "polite" in that they don't have any area of concern, but may be they are a little boring and lacking dynamics and the "wow" factor. This may be the headphones but I think this is more likely my shortcomings.

I would sooner have a polite, well balanced mix though than one that does't translate well. I think that's where these headphones have taken my mixes, to a place where they will sound decent on any system, rather than amazing on some systems and crap on others, which is what I was getting when using my DT770's and KRK Rokit 5's.

I have given these 5 out of 5 even though I'm sure there has to be be better headphones out there if you are willing to spend a lot more, but anyone wanting a great set of neutral headphones for mixing or even for just listening to their music collection, please give these ago. They are great!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... AKG K7XX (Massdrop)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search