The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha RH5MA

Yamaha RH5MA

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Semi-closed back studio headphones

14th December 2015

Yamaha RH5MA by monitorlove

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Yamaha RH5MA

In the world of monitoring , Yamaha is synonymous with trustworthiness . Yet, for those who have even once in their life been on the hunt for a 'reference headphone' under 500$, there is a good chance that this 50$ GIANT-SLAYER got completely overlooked.
Luckily for me I did stumble upon some very favourable reviews and now that I have them , Ill buy another if this one breaks. Seriously , I will ! Not that these will break. They seem very sturdy unless you want to step on them

I currently own 4 headphones including the Audeze LCD2 and if I have to mix an entire song with a headphone , I would instantly pick the RH5MA. They do not have the refinement or majestic sound of the Audeze. But they are so analytical sounding that it would be a no-brainer to have them as a mix tool.

A few words come to mind when trying to describe the sound of these -*
Colorless, Analytical , Unforgiving , Good Translation

All the analytical details that I seek in a mix are presented to me in a very simple and easy to understand way that in the first few seconds that I put them on , I get a clear picture of what IS WRONG . Things like ' How is the low end punch? Is the Kick seated well? Is there enough mid bloom? Is there harshness? ' and so on..*
Can I fix the problems? Depends on my skill .

So what are they weak at? -*
1 - First of all comfort. Being ON-THE-EAR (supra aural) design , they tend to get uncomfortable after about 30 mins of wearing . They are very light though.
2 - They wont provide enough isolation to use near a condernsor mic .
3 - Since they are very neutral to the source , they can sound harsh depending on the mix. Therefore if I find the mix harsh on these, I just put them aside and mix on my monitors to save my poor ears !
4 - The other weakness comes in their low mids which is I feel is relatively weak in performance in comparison to their high end.*
5 - And the last one - They always maintain a totally anaytical sound and therefore not a good pick for casual listeners.*
For me though , even when Im not mixing , Id love to give my other 'pleasing' headphones a break and get a taste of the tasteless RH5MA!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Yamaha RH5MA
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search