The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Grado Labs PS1000

Grado Labs PS1000

3 3 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Okeedokee

8th December 2015

Grado Labs PS1000 by Cinemascope

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Grado Labs PS1000

Updated May 2016

The Grado's (non 'e' PS1000s) were great to listen to for fun but not accurate to mix on because of the the massive peaks at 90Hz and 7kHz and the lack of sub information below 50Hz due to a steep rolloff. Now sold.

I recently checked out all of the top contenders via the good folk at highendheadphones.co.uk (thanks Paul & Wendy) in Bedfordshire and my subjective and personal summary is as follows;

Abyss AB-1266 - stupidly overpriced, ugly, relatively flat but oddly small sounding. I expect a LOT more from them

Sennheiser HD800S - impressively (almost forcefully) detailed, bass light but ruthlessly efficient at showing flaws.

HiFiman - HE1000 - probably the best headphones I've ever heard, seriously. Relatively flat freq wise but huge sounding and involving.

Grado PS1000e - probably more aggressive sounding than the non 'e' variant but a fun/hyped listen (just not flat or accurate).

Audeze LCD XCs - lovely bass that goes down to the earth's core, effortless midrange, v slightly rolled off highs which is an Audeze trait but overall a warm big sound that is also kinda flat freq wise overall. V cool. (I listened to the other Audeze's at Headroom @ Metropolis earlier in the year and liked them a lot but hadn't heard the XCs)

Pioneer SE Master 1 - not bad but left behind by the new kids on the block, just a little outclassed in this test

Fostex TH900 - huge bass & spiky highs but small presentation and dimension. Oddly aggressive somehow.

Stax 009 & 007 - the 009s are detailed in the highs but bass light. A bit too genteel for me, more suited to classical and jazz. The 07s are warmer and somehow more contemporary sounding for it but still didn't bowl me over. I personally think the new batch of high end planar & dynamic headphones have now overtaken the Stax stalwarts. The paraphernalia required to run the Stax rigs also look like props from a 1950s sci-fi film .

Anyways that's enough for now
PM me if you have any questions

Last edited by Cinemascope; 16th May 2016 at 01:54 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search