The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha HS7

Yamaha HS7

3.7 3.7 out of 5, based on 8 Reviews

2-way active monitors.

9th November 2015

Yamaha HS7 by Kinh222

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
Yamaha HS7

They sound good at the store but that's not necessarily a good thing. When it comes to mixing they fall short big time.

The stereo image isn't detailed enough and the width of the mix and placement of certain tracks is difficult to gauge. For this reason, you'll probably have problems with track levels. I played my mix on an ipod and the bass was gone, the mids were boosted and it sounded boxy. This was an indication of lack of clarity in all frequencies of the HS7s especially the mids.

The mids just weren't detailed enough (even though the sales guy said otherwise). In fact that was probably the biggest issue I had with them.

It boils down to what you need them for really. If you only do sound design or production or need a good recording reference then great.

Most of the reviews you read on these, even 'professional' reviews are done by people who dont actually mix music, they listen to it instead and base their assessment on how 'great' everything sounds so bear that in mind. Its how it works in a practical situation that matters, not how much Stairway to Heaven's treble sounds crisper than on other monitors.

I traded mine in after a week for the MSP which are superior in every way, especially image yet cost twice as much but only cause I need accurate mixes. If mixing wasn't my thing I probably would've stuck with the HS which tend to make your tracks sound a little better than they are. I played the same track I mixed in the MSP7 and it didn't sound too great anymore, but thats a good thing.

Compared to the HS8: Bass was obviously heavier on 8 but only when speakers were driven hard, at low volumes is was pretty much the same as 7s. The Adam f7: the main difference is the sweetspot of the HS7 was much wider; the superior high end frequencies of the Adam disappeared at the slightest shake of the head. The M-audio BX 6 had a similar stereo field as the HS7, but to me the mids sounded distorted up against the HS.

Bear in mind that everyone hears differently. One person's point of view therefore should not persuade you to not even try them at the store. Try them by all means, if you like the sound and dont wish to mix then get them, they're very affordable for what they are but thats the whole thing, its what they are that matters. And they are a really good sounding, relatively flat monitor, the detail - clarity and image isn't quite where they need to be to be a good mixing monitor, thats all.

Last edited by Kinh222; 9th November 2015 at 02:47 PM..

14th January 2016

Yamaha HS7 by BlackFaceMulder

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Yamaha HS7

They sound the best out of the new HS series.

Might not be ns10s, not charging your for them either.

Good , accurate lows.

Sorry they arent your Focals.

Buy them, like em, sell em, live en im

Ymmers

4th July 2016

Yamaha HS7 by keystation

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Yamaha HS7

These are good, reliable monitors for a home studio. Here is a list of my findings:

1) Their build quality is excellent.
2) They need to be broken in when new. This might explain why they lose to JBL LSRs when "A-B'ing" at Guitar Center or Sam Ash showrooms (JBL breaks theirs in at the factory).
3) Once broken in (give them a month) they have helped greatly improve the quality of my mixes over using JBL LSR 305s.
4) You might want a sub if you are into EDM or hip-hop. The Yamaha HS8S sub is designed to work best, but I don't use one (yet).
5) Check eBay for the best deals on these. I got a brand-new pair, with a full warranty from a NE US dealer for less than $400.
6) Remember that the next step up from here is a big one in price (to Focals, Genelecs, Adams, etc.) and the improvements might be subtle, at best.

All in all, the HS7s are a good value and a step-up from entry level monitors.

18th January 2018

Yamaha HS7 by gasolin

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Yamaha HS7

Yamaha HS7 is not a medium sized bookshelf active studio monitor, they are slightly bigger than medium.

Yamaha HS5 is very midrange heavy,no bass at all, HS8 to much bass,power for most people, Yanmaha HS7 with it's 6.5" subwoofer not 7" is something between the HS5/8 more bass than HS5 and not as big as the HS8

Easy to set up and use since gain on the click,notch at +4db is enough for most audio interface, no audible hiss , room control is for deep tones under 500hz, High Trim 2000hz and up, all + or - 2db.

Bright white logo in the front when the speaker is turned on (without any noise for a second)

top to bottom

Highs can sound a little less soft out of the box, many say the speakers need burn in because it make a difference, it's not ultra soft like the best ribbon tweeters.

Midrange very clear, open with good depth, air, good stereo image.

Bass is not ultra deep (-3db 55hz) and tight like a big 12" or bigger subwoofer, it's deep,round,punchy (mine may be a bit closer to a wall than recommended and have not used the room control since i feel it's a bit high starting at 500hz), much better than the smaller HS5 but not as much as the HS8 which are a bass monster.

Power: Each speaker has 35 and 60watt and it's enough, they are louder than avarage and therefore cleaner sounding than most active studio monitors, before reaching levels not recommedning for near field listening when they distort, loud enough for a party in a medium sized room (HS7) yes, HS8 in a big room.

Equipment used: Focusrite itrack solo with audioquest jitterbug and monster usb cable and real,klotz, control unit is a nad 3020i for pc,cdplayer and turntable (it has main in and pre out) and isoacoustics 155 stands.

So fare within the 1 day that i have had them, i havn't noticed any listening fattigue.

11th February 2018

Yamaha HS7 by Persemone

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Yamaha HS7

In the UK at least, nothing else comes close for the price IMO for the home studio. Cabinets solid, drivers powerful enough that most won't need a sub even for bass-heavy music - much improved over the HS5's in this regard. Sound always subjective but easy on the ear for long sessions.

XLR and TRS input, no optical. Rear ported, might need a sock or foam plug if you can't muster these away from a wall far enough to tame the bass.

Basically, far better than most home studios need. Typical Yamaha - dour, unpretentious, serious, unshowy, quietly classy without bells and whistles. Like the humble Pacifica guitar, they do the job well with no fuss, but in the right hands can be incredible. Ain't the gear, right?..

12th March 2018

Yamaha HS7 by donald trump

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck N/A
  • Overall: 2.75
Yamaha HS7

I could not tell if they are good or bad. Maybe they are a bit confusing-
To listen to normal music, pop, jazz, funk, etc. at a reasonable volume they are expressed in a very clean and transparent way. The lower part is not low, it simply is not part.
When I listen to dance music, it usually gives me fatigue. The middle range is rough and the treble a drill. for the price you have, it is not possible to be hard. But honestly, at least in Spain, they stopped being attention a long time ago.
Now, its function is to sound from time to time. Maybe as a hifi team but to mix music they have already passed their glory days.
Sorry for my bad English.

2 weeks ago

Yamaha HS7 by ilias

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Yamaha HS7

I had it for 2nd monitor for 3 monts.

First of all i find it a very un-musical monitor.
Sound quality is mediocre to bad because the components quality is very bad.
There are phase problems and the stereo image is closed exacly for that reason.
It has nothing to do with NS-10s. Don't buy them. Better buy NS-10s again.

Yamaha just wanted to sell the white cone to make a reminder for NS-10s (which are totally different) and then they put cheap components and they try to balance things with internal DSP. Thank you very much...
I could have bought better components much cheaper make a closed box and put sonarworks over mesurements (which is again not great but helps for these situations) and it will be much much better.

I suggest to not get used to this sound

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Yamaha HS7
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search