The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodhertz Faraday Limiter

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A typical Goodhertz plugin: Clever, clean interface, great take on analog dirt with digital capabilities

22nd September 2015

Goodhertz Faraday Limiter by PB+J

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Goodhertz is a small company making plugins for, at this writing, Mac only, They are very interested in the sound of analog distortion without the slavish GUI-imitation of analog gear. The "Faraday Limiter" is a great example. It uses graphical representations of sliders that don't look three dimensional. And it doesn't emulate any specific piece of analog hardware either. It's a software comp/limiter with variable saturation

So you have a threshold slider, and an output slider, and a ratio slider (from 2:1 to 20:1). There's a small scrolling graph in the right column that gives you a generalized live view of what you are doing, but it's not accurate: this is a "use your ears" plugin. The meter levels--really, this is pretty brilliant--show as a bar that runs "under" the channel slider. So literally as you lower the channel slider you can see it begin to grab the peaks. Brilliant piece of design there.

There's a button on the bottom right that opens a "settings" panel. There you can set it for automatic gain/level compensation, and set it to "high quality" which I assume means oversampling. There's a sidechain hi-pass filter. Very simple, no glowing faux tubes or needles jumping or fake knob wear.

I like the sound-- it sounds like a transformer saturating, not like fizzy tube overdrive that just sits on top of everything. It really seems to "breath" with the source. The "color" control is where most of the action takes place: crank it up and you can hear that transformer saturation thing happening. Back it down and it cleans up and can be used to do very subtle effects. The presets are very well chosen and display the things strengths very well. I use it as a comp on individual tracks.

Oh here's a cool thing: you can save your current state as a preset any time by just clicking the "check" mark.

As they say, it's not a transparent limiter: it's a color tool. It's creative, unique, extremely well designed, and has its root s in analog while being firmly a digital tool. I gave it a couple fours because while it's not expensive, there are good cheap alternatives out there, and a 4 for "features" because it's a pretty simple beast

Attached Thumbnails
Goodhertz Faraday Limiter-faraday.jpeg  
Last edited by PB+J; 1st November 2015 at 03:27 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Goodhertz Faraday Limiter
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search