The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FLEA Microphones Flea 47

FLEA Microphones Flea 47

4.95 4.95 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

I bought a Flea 47 with an EF12 tube and an F7 capsule.

23rd August 2015

FLEA Microphones Flea 47 by dreckdirect

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
FLEA Microphones Flea 47

I have used a ton of microphones in my day.
This microphone is so incredibly easy to use, and the warmth of the tube is phenomenal.
I purposely used an inexpensive acoustic guitar just to see what it would sound like.
The results were quite amazing, I didn't have to fuss over perfect placement at all, I immediately got a great sound.
Also with vocals, this microphone has a depth and clarity that I haven't heard before.
The sound has nice bottom, while it delivers a smooth high end.
No matter what i put in front of this beauty, it truly sounded like the source, and for me... That's all I need.
Thank you Flea :-)
Derek Reese

Last edited by dreckdirect; 31st August 2015 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Wanted to leave my real name.

28th January 2016

FLEA Microphones Flea 47 by arnoldorodeo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
FLEA Microphones Flea 47

I bought this marvellous mic during winter 2011. Well packaged in solid elegant wooden box. I spent the next three years to search for the ideal mic pre & I finally decided to go for an AML EZ 1073. This combo is amazing !
About the Flea 47 this is what I could tell: First I let it warm for half an hour. Then it depends on the singer that come to my studio but in general this is my feelings about the sound:
- Big presence
- Nothing harsh, just sweet to my ears.
- A slight bump around 250 hz. I sometimes need some little dip in post prod with eq or multiband to attenuate this.
- A "delicious" coloration due to the tube topology.
As time goes by I have the impression that the sound of this mic is getting better and better. Before buying the 1073 clone from AML I tried the Flea with a Neve VR channel strip & I have to say it worked also perfectly.
You may think that it's an expensive mic & I would be agree with you but you may also consider this as a serious investment and improvement for your studio and your future recording sessions. I have to say that before the Flea I spent so much time with plugins to recreate this presence and this "mojo" that my good old U87 couldn't gave to me!
Last but not least Yvan (from FLEA team) is a wonderful and honest person. He really cares for his business and when you will open the box of your future flea mic you will see how meticulous & talentuous this guy is. Pure 47-ish.

3rd March 2016

FLEA Microphones Flea 47 by Onan

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
FLEA Microphones Flea 47

I've had this mic for a few months now. Mine has the F7 capsule and ef12 tube. When I bought mine I was fortunate to be able to also audition a second 47 with the F7 capsule and ef12 tube, and the two mics were indistinguishable to my ear, which is a testament to the quality control Flea puts into their production. I also got to audition their 47 with their k47 capsule and ef12 tube, which had too much high frequency for my taste, so I picked the F7 capsule.

I have no experience with original 47's or any of the other modern clones, but I have a good locker of other condensers in the $2k-3k range and the Flea 47 is an excellent addition. It's a little brighter than the tlm67 and u87ai. The Flea 47's low end and high end are both a little more pronounced than the m147. The Flea 47 has a little mid-scoop compared to the m147 and tlm67. The Flea 47 sounds a little "bigger" than the u87, tlm67, and m147 because of the deep bottom. When I want more lower-mid thickness, I prefer the tlm67. When I want a little upper-mid emphasis to step forward in the mix, I prefer the m147 (which I find I generally prefer in a dense rock mix). At the risk of over-generalizing, I'd say the Flea 47 sounds best in a sparse or solo-voice recording, and though I don't record country songs, the Flea 47 sounds like the male voices on a lot of commercial country music. When the singer is belting it, the Flea 47 doesn't add anything harsh but saturates ever so sweetly. I also have a Flea 49 Next, which has a little less pronounced high frequency and more mid-richness than the Flea 47. All of these mics have their place in a well-stocked locker, and they all sound so good that I think a good engineer could win a Grammy with any of them.

Reiterating that I don't have personal experience to compare the Flea 47 with the several top-dollar clones on the market, I'm totally satisfied that I have the 47 "flavour" now. Given that the Flea 47 is considerably less expensive than several competing clones, I give it a 5 for "bang for the buck."

The only reason I give it 4 for features is that I would like a mic in this price range to have a low-cut filter. I understand Flea is aiming for authenticity and for a mirror image of the original 47, so I'm not criticizing their design choice. But it makes it a bit less flexible for my purposes.

2 weeks ago

FLEA Microphones Flea 47 by R2Mix2

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
FLEA Microphones Flea 47

Our studio got this and love it! Before we got this mic we used a Neumann U87 on most things that would require high-end large condenser microphone... We still use the U87 a fair amount but the Flea definitely does the lion share of the work now.

The build on this microphone is top notch, the company was really easy to deal with (bought directly from Ivan at Flea as they don't have a dealer in Canada) and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Almost got the Flea 47 next instead and really happy I didn't. I talked with Ivan and he said they sound the same but there are differences... metal tube in 47 compared to glass in 47 next...and of course the option of omni.

I didn't like the different tube fact and that was my deciding factor as I didn't think I would use omni that much... however I find I am - especially on acoustic guitars!

Why Sound Quality 5 stars?: Hooked it up and sang into it... the wife in the control room "Are you freaking kidding me???" ... that sums it up. I get a similar response from clients often. (Neve mic-pre used)

Why Ease of Use 5 stars?: The mic is super high quality even down to the threading on the cable. Easy to hook up, easy to switch between patterns. Put it up and give it a sound source and it will sound good and your mixing will be way easier.

Why Features 5 stars?: It comes with everything you need, but also has a microphone cover to protect it when left on the stand but not in use... also the box it came in is a serious storage box. Everything else I expected, but these little things made me smile.

Why 5 stars on the bang for the buck? It is super expensive yes... but in comparison to the Telefunken U47 it is notably cheaper and in a blind test I choose the Flea every time.

Here is our unboxing of the Flea 47

Cheers,

Daryl

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... FLEA Microphones Flea 47
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search