The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDAS M32

MIDAS M32

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A digital mixer from Midas that has the same software and layout as the Behringer X32 but with better pre's, faders, knobs, and converters.

6th August 2015

MIDAS M32 by Glenn Bucci

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
MIDAS M32

I helped my church shop for a digital mixer based on their budget and quality. We decided on the Midas M32. I have seen the X32 and liked it when it came out. Though I am sure it would work fine, with a higher budget we went for the M32 that has better faders, mic pre's, and feels more solid with high quality knobs. Same effects and software of the X32 which is really good. I would compare the LA2-A, Fairchild, and 1176 compressor it has as up there with some of the software plug ins out there. Probably not as accurate as the UAD II versions but still very useable.

Mic pre's and converters sound very clean, detailed and it has a nice top end in comparison to the Mackie Onyx mixer we have now. The Mackie though it sounds good, is not as clear and open. Reminds me of comparing a mid level converters to a higher end converters. There is just more detail, and cleaner (more neutral). The good news is if you want a little analog color, throw a LA2-A compressor or Fairchild effect from the inserts and you can add some smoothness to the sound as well. Nice reverbs as well.

One thing I really liked with this mixer is the dedicated controls for mic pre, gate, compressor, and EQ. I looked at the newer Yamaha TF series but don't like working so much with a small touch screen. In addition the M32 (and X32) have dedicated faders for Group faders which switch to Bus (Many call them Aux's) for monitor sends. There are also dedicated group mute buttons as well. I took my label maker out and labeled the mute groups buttons.

I like that there are two headphone jacks in the front, a lamp connection that has a bright knob. There are some quick controls on the right for your favorite functions. We just ordered a IPad and will be hooking that up to the system. I was able to upgrade the firmware to the latest and put the M32 Edit software on my computer.

The church uses Cubase to record the services and the M32 drivers showed up in the setup system. Being able to record 32 channels into Cubase is a real treat. There is Talkback A and Talkback B. I made Talkback A to the guys on stage and drummer. I put the drummer only on Talk back B. With the drums in a cage, I can just ask him if he wants any adjustment in his ear monitors.

We will be using the analog connectors in the back of the mixer until we redo our stage and put the Cat 5E in the house. We will probably get the dedicated mix boxes for the band as well at a later date.

All in all a very good live digital mixer. I will provide an update after working on it for a while. Will be training 4 people on this mixer. There are a lot of good tutorial videos on line for the M32 and X32 that makes the training a lot easier. You could use this mixer in your studio as well as there are 8 faders that can be a DAW controller. As a prior Berhringer DDX owner, there is an attraction of using faders, and knobs for mixing compared to a mouse. It really comes down to personal preference on your work flow. I have not compared the converters to my Apogee Rosetta but I would be happy if I had to use these converters.

Studio Use: A lot of people have used a 01V96, DM1000, 02R96 DM 2000, and the older Sony digital mixer with DAW's and we're happy them.

As long as there is no weak chain with the mixer like quality of converters, for some it is a viable option for studio use.

One benefit with a digital mixer in the studio is you don't use the CPU of your computer. They have improved the sound of the effects as well since the Yammy digital mixers came out. Modeling compressors are standard and EQ that is not sterile sounding anymore.

Some prefer working with faders and knobs over a mouse as well. Granted the work flow is not as fast as grabing a mouse but then they have software for the digital mixer for your computer to control the effects as well.

Having group faders, mute groups, built in talk back are other bonus features. Everything from mic pre's , converters, faders, and DAW control are all in one box. Makes things more simple. When I routed all the channels from my DAW to the mixer. It stays in digital so there is no conversion of the sound and stays pure.

Con: I noticed after 2:00 o'clock on the headphone amp, there is some hiss.

29th January 2016

MIDAS M32 by Savedbygrace719

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
MIDAS M32

I purchased two Midas M32 consoles for my independent sound company. One was to be a FOH console I would use along with the 32 channel Midas stage box for small bar and club dates with local bands; the other to be my new tracking/mixing console for my recording studio. With both of these consoles I had plans for them to grow with me and those plans included the “future” 96k update Midas promised. For the live board the plan was to upgrade to a Pro 2 as FOH duties increased and use the M32 as a monitor console both at 96k for reduced plug in latency. The studio console would simply allow me to record at a higher bit rate for better recordings. Unfortunately Midas has made it clear that this 96k update is not going to happen. With that in mind I gave the board a score of 3 for both features and bang for the buck. With that being said let’s get on to the good stuff.

As a live FOH console for small to medium bands this board can’t be beat for the price. The Sound is fantastic, the EFX are spectacular and I find the layout simple to navigate. I spent about a week messing around with M32 Edit (The Offline Editor) and was comfortable enough to immediately start mixing for bands within days of the unit arriving.

I do have to warn you however that routing within the board is done in groups of 8. I haven’t run into any issues with that yet but I can see some circumstances where not being able to freely route any input to any output would be a hindrance.

On the live side of things I kind of wish I would have waited on my purchase as I think the Digico S21 is now a far superior console at only slightly more cost. It can do 96k right out the box and has a vga monitor out (something I would love to have seen on the M32).

On the studio side of things I will say this. The pre amps are wonderful. You have the option of running real clean with these pre amps or engaging the head amp split mode and really saturating the pre amps for some wonderful color (I love the Midas sound). That being said there are far better options for studio use. With no 96K this board is dead for studio use. Even my old Digi 002 console could do 96k so for Midas to not implement this out of the box was ridiculous. To tell us it was coming but then never come through with that promise is a slap in the face.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... MIDAS M32
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search