The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Music Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

The Sub 37 Tribute Edition is a limited edition (2-note) paraphonic analog synthesizer built on the award winning Sub Phatty sound engine. Its panel features 40 knobs, 74 switches, and has a dedicated LCD display.

20th July 2015

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by dfarness

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

This is my first analog synth and I was concerned that learning it could be overwhelming. In my opinion the controls are perfectly laid out and easy to use. It is a blast to play. I can easily get sucked in for hours tweaking knobs. Every time I play it I discover something new. I would recommend this as a first mono synth.

22nd July 2015

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by jbottrop

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

It definitely is a fantastic synth. I got mine since last November and I had not imagined it could be used on such a variety of musical styles. No matter if it's Jazz Fusion or Dubstep, the Sub 37 gets the job done.

2nd January 2016

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by StarskyCarr

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I love this synth. It does, however, have a few quirks that don't seem to be mentioned anywhere else - a bit of menu diving and non-labelled double key presses for sequencer duties. None of which are a game changer, but does require a bit of practise or keeping a list of key presses handy.

I've recorded a walkthrough .. its not definitive, but does show a hands on user experience. Hope someone finds it useful!

Part 1 Oscillators, Envelopes and Filter : https://youtu.be/0z7kbGZ2sPg
Part 2 Modulation and LFOs : https://youtu.be/NJZ17WhGr5U
Part 3Arpeggiator and Sequencer : https://youtu.be/Tsr_kLvcJXk

Cheers.

4th January 2016

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by Sorb

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The Moog Sub 37 is a pure joy to play.
If you think it´s just a Sub Phatty with an added Duophonic feature, you´re wrong. It has so much more possibilities. Combined with the two Mod Sections which can mod every possible parameter at different LFO speed, it´s almost a modular synth.
The ADSR settings can be synced to speed and loop, which is an incredible tool for making "delayed" sounds without a delay.
The overall sound quality is just killer.
With the latest firmware, the step sequencer is very powerful and fast to program. Just switch to record, play a sequence, press SEQ and you have it.
Use the 16 bank keys to delete or tie certain steps. So fast.
Last not least, the Sub 37 has a knob or button for every function. Perfect.

You will need some time to learn this instrument, but the reward is one of the best mono synths ever!

I made a video showing some of the SUB 37´s features:

26th January 2016

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by shreddoggie

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I suppose I am a bit of a Moog fanboy - love the VCO and VCF - the Moog sound. The Sub-37 is a companion to the Voyager, a bunch of 'foogers and 500 series gear. I am a supporter of employee owned and made in the USA.

Sound: I like the way the Sub-37 compliments the Voyager - the step sequencer, 4 filter slopes, the filter overdrive all make it contrast the bigger creamier majestic sound of the Voyager. There are some 303 and Model D qualities available with the filter overdrive and step sequencer slides.

Ease of Use: A couple complaints - it would be nice if the display was a bit larger. It doesn't need to be huge but teeny is a bit annoying. The whole UI of arrow keying around and then adjusting through menus feels very archaic and it is a shame since there are many great extras available here such as mod sources / destinations and sequencer gate time and swing.

Features: everything I expect and want from a modern analog mono. Duo mode is really nice and really useful for certain styles and makes for great step sequences.

Bang for the buck: It is not a bargain but it is not overpriced either. Worth every penny for sure.

27th April 2017

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition by TheOmegaShadow

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

My review is from the perspective of a owning a Moog Sub Phatty prior to owning the Sub 37 and will make comparisons.

Build quality, 5/5

The Sub 37 is well put together, just as good as the Sub Phatty. The knobs feel very smooth, with no play or wobble. The Cutoff knob on my Sub 37 is the later model with the metal stalk, it's got a different feel and makes a slight friction noise when turned, but I can live with it.

The keyboard is different, not only in the amount of keys, the keys use a softer spring to the Sub Phatty and the keys are not a heavily weighted making it easier to play fast. It's not quite as soft as the Nord Lead 4 keybed which is my favourite keybed to play on due to the softness of the key tension and lightness of the keys.

The aftertouch on the keybed is nice and gradual, meaning there isn't a steep and sudden instantiation of aftertouch, the different amounts of aftertouch are easy to control.

Ease of use 4/5

I really love the amount of controls on the face, the primary reason for me purchasing this keyboard, tweaking a patch to perfection is much more immediate as you don't need a cheat sheet for any functions hidden from the front control panel, instead there is a simple menu to dive through to make more advances modulation assignments etc.

While the menu is not the most intuitive way to do it, it's still preferable over the Sub Phatty's cryptic button combinations by far.

Features 4/5

2 oscillators, 1 sub oscillator locked to oscillator 1, no sine wave.
1 noise oscillator
1 Moog low pass filter with a dedicated control for slope selection of 6, 12, 18, and 24 db slopes.
2 LFOs / modulation sections
4 CV inputs
Paraphonic operation of oscillators.
Overdrive/Feedback circuit in addition to the multidrive circuit (the Sub Phatty only has the multidrive)
a built in sequencer
2 x DAHDSR type envelopes with dedicated controls for looping, multitrig etc.
256 Patch memories

check out Nick Batt's review of the Sub 37 on youtube, he goes through it all.

Features I wish it had:
CV outs for modulation sources ENVs, LFOs, KB pitch Gate etc.
A Highpass filter after the Lowpass filter.

If those where added to this machine it would be THE perfect monosynth, in my opinion .

Bang for buck 5/5

The sum of the parts has a wider range of possible sounds relative to the Sub Phatty and nearly all other analogue monosynths on the market today, with the exception of the Matrixbrute.

Overall 4.5/ 5

I was one of the early adopters of the Sub Phatty, prior the announcement of the Sub 37. After is was shown by Amos in prototype form I had some regret and I wish I waited and got the Sub 37 instead, the Sub 37 is the Sub Phatty with much more going on inside of it and it was hard to justify the upgrade, but some years later now I have both.

I don't feel the need to jettison the Sub Phatty out of my studio because it's superseded by the Sub 37, but it's sound is very good and more of a good thing , is a very good thing, and never hurts if you have the room for it, but if I didn't have the room, the feature overlap is substantial and I would let go of the Sub Phatty for the 37.

To anyone who owns a Sub Phatty contemplating the upgrade, I think it's worth it, primarily the restrictions on modulation are alleviated greatly and the more immediate control are things you will greatly appreciate and make it hard to go back to using the old Sub Phatty, and you don't lose the ability to make the sounds you already have.

I'm getting the most joy from not having to dump/send patches all the time, going from 16 to 256 patch slots really helps reduce workflow interruptions.

The feedback circuit is getting some subtle use and the overall increase in controls makes using the Sub 37 more fun and less frustrating to use than the Sub Phatty.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Moog Music Sub 37 Tribute Edition
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search