The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DBX 676 Preamp

DBX 676

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Features: Class-A Vacuum Tube Preamp with High Voltage Gain High-Visibility Vintage VU Meter Compressor designed from the dbx162SL 3-Band Semi-Parametric EQ 1/4” and XLR Inputs and Outputs Front Panel Instrument Input Side Chain Insert Optional Digital Output Card

1st July 2015

DBX 676 by HarriloweRTR

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
DBX 676 Preamp

DBX recently were kind enough to send me the new 676 Tube Mic Preamp Channel Strip, and after owning a few of their previous bits of equipment (and Harman in general, AKG, Digitech,etc); I was fully aware that they have a brilliant built quality and in most cases, even the lower end products, were great sounding...

But then the 676 arrived and raised the bar in regards to quality..

Honestly, and I don't say this often, but its possible one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever used.

Ergonomically: its outstanding, the dials are solid and slow moving enabling you to be careful when dialling in a tone, but not stiff so you struggle to move them. The Highly visible VU meter allows you to monitor one of GR, Input or Output and is extremely accurate giving and above and below value for loudness and reduction too. Lastly it being black with white writing and well lit LED buttons with different colours makes much easier for knowing what is on and off at any one point!

Quality: The 676 features a 12AU7 tube at 250v giving it extreme clarity and the availability to drive with 2 separate controls - Gain & Tube Attenuation -

With the gain DOWN and attenuation UP, it is pristine in colour and sound, warm and clear with light harmonics. With the gain UP and the attenuation DOWN, the grit this thing get is astonishing... especially on bass. Harmonics and overtones fly about, the distortion added is extremely musical don't worry!

The 676 features a 3-band, sweepable-mid EQ, the lower shelf at 100HZ and the high at 10KHz and the Mid control at the press of a button is able to form either a tight Q bell or a wider bell to either add or duck frequencies.
It also features a compressor, equipped with the same technology used in the highly credited and acclaimed DBX 162SL which at one point was $3K just for a pair! Complete with threshold, attack, release and DBX Overeasy button along with an Auto Release button which works dependent on the Attack control.
And lastly a limited function using DBX TruePeak technology along with a extremely bright and small red LED to let you know when engaged and being used and when not.

Inputs and outputs include a Line In Hi-Z input with a button next to it allowing you to enable this, however when disenaged it will switch to the Mic input on the back. There is an out put either Line level or Mic level which allows you to simply use the tube and nothing else in the channel, however the insert input next to it will allow you to patch in your favourite EQ or other outboard anyway.
Along with this you can use the main output after the full channel strip, however you can also use the compressor and limiter on its own bypassing the EQ by using the insert and main output function if you fancy a flavour of the 162SL as a DAW insert.

Cons: As with any tube equipment there will always be an element of self noise and this isnt a massive problem in any way however it is something worth noting if youre new to tube equipment.
When changing between the GR, Input and Output buttons for the VU meter, there is a small ping which is picked up within the device so make sure you check your level BEFORE recording rather than during and having Pings all over a printed track! Also the Limiter and Compressor functions share the same VU GR however the way around this would be to dial in one first and then the other to avoid confusion what GR you're looking at (Y)
Other than that, there are literally no other faults to this I can find.

Overall; the build and sound quality, usability and direct use with just about every track you will ever record is outstanding. Next to something like the Avalon VT737SP, or the Manley VoxBox - The DBX 676 easily holds its own. If you're looking for incredible quality, truly warm and pleasing harmonics and all in a unit that is affordable, but the quality of high end then look no further. This unit will deliver high end results of not only warm sound from the 12AU7 tube, but technology that is worth that of something like the Avalon VT737SP all at a fraction of the price with much more added too!

Attached Thumbnails
DBX 676 Preamp-img_0690.jpg   DBX 676 Preamp-dbx_676_rear_lightbox.jpg   DBX 676 Preamp-dbx_676_front_lightbox.jpg  

28th April 2018

DBX 676 by ShadowAMD

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
DBX 676 Preamp

The DBX 676 is an all in one "channel" strip for tracking purposes, it contains a full 250V vacuum tube pre-amp, a 3 band semi-parametric EQ section plus a 162SL based VCA compressor / limiter. I/O includes pre-amp in / out (EQ section included) and a "master" compressor out with a compressor sidechain in..

The pre-amp section includes a 100hz high pass, polarity reverse and Hi-Z. The metering section is selectable between pre-amp gain / output and compression values..

The EQ section contains a Low / High shelf with a sweepable 100hz to 8Khz sweepable mid band, all bypassable. There are auto limiter / compression functions, DBX's "overeasy" switch and a setup for parallel compression outputs..

BUT.! You could just read the manual for all these gubbins, lets get down to the nitty.. What's it like?

Well as soon as you take it out the box it's easy to notice the quality of this unit, it's built like a tank and I've never seen such a fully featured module at this price built so well. Although talking about price, it may sell for a small amount comparative to others but it's a seriously high quality unit..

The 162SL VCA went for around $2K by itself, a full non starve plate tube pre-amp usually goes for $1K and there's no sign of cost cutting, what you've got here is a high end unit with a low end price tag.

It sounds it as well, the tube section adds a very pleasing grit to any FET / ribbon / dynamic etc. although somehow remains crystal clear and never messes with the natural dynamics of the mic, you'll find it's pretty consistant across the board when it comes to this unit..

It's almost as if it adds it's own magic but never detracts from it, a good example is my 201-FET which can be a bit of a dark and muddy sounding.. When I added a smidge of 6K from the EQ band and a bit of distortion it was like I took a veil off the top of it but still retained all the original characterstics I love about the mic..

You have to be careful with the gain and post attenuation settings, I've read articles saying this unit's a bit too clean for a tube pre-amp and all I can say is their unit must be broken because it ain't subtle when you crank it, this thing can pile on the harmonic saturation and it never really does completely clean.

You don't buy a tube pre-amp for the lack of mojo though, right?

When it comes to the VCA compressor, what can I say besides it's fantastic? I'd avoid the automatic functions which doesn't get the best out of it, although when setup it's transparent in a musical way to the point you can add 3 - 5 dB's of comp and still not worry about adding a bit extra in your ITB mix chain.

You don't have to be scared of commiting with this unit, ever since I've got it I mainly only use plugs for touch ups and nothing more.

The 676 isn't like any channel strip you've probably used, it does it's own thing which seems to be coax a mic out to give it as much sonic quality as possible and through every stage it just gets that little bit better.

It's not a low end unit trying to copy something else, again it's a true high end unit in it's own right with a budget price tag. Not a piece you'll "grow out of", just add for a flavour..

It's a shame DBX currently aren't more vested in pro audio as opposed to fighting in Alesis and Behringers bottom end corner, because they are very talented at making top shelf gear for silly prices.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... DBX 676 Preamp
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search