The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube Acoustic Feedback

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

This is just a VERY quick note on this product. It's fun! The more you dial in, the more high, squealy sound you get. It can get out of control, but you can turn it back down to fix that on the fly. It added moody character. I liked it.

24th June 2015

Softube Acoustic Feedback by PhilB

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

This is just a VERY quick note on this product.

It's fun! The more you dial in, the more high, squealy sound you get.

It can get out of control, but you can turn it back down to fix that on the fly.

I've only just tried it out passing through on song. it added character and made the sound more interesting.

It seems to be using mono pitch detection to pick notes. Polyphonic phrases are not generally picked up. (On piano, it only picked up single notes, no chords. For guitar, single or the end of some double stops got the treatment. generally, the louder of the two notes).

The plug-in seemed to do a GOOD JOB of only 'feeding back' the last note of a phrase.

It seems to use the pitch detection to play a sample of feedback, faded in at the beginning, and faded out AND pitch sliding down at the end. arrrrrRRRRRRRWWwwww...

Feedback notes are same pitch (octave up?) of the original note.

(Occasionally, it generated a harmony of sorts, maybe because of double stops or something - sometimes a dissonant harmony, but that was fine too. Seems to follow note bends, some.)

Controls:

- "Mix": blend percentage between original track and the feedback sound. not evenly weighted, but that's fine. First half of the range seems to have original signal all at same volume.

- "Feedback": range that goes from subtle to natural to wild. QUICK experimentation seems to indicate that it controls how long (or slowly) after note detection the feedback layers on to your sound, and I think it messes with the sustain of the feedback sample (maybe).

- A nice little orange light that glows when feedback is happening. Helpful for determining whether the effect is starting to happen yet, and, and at the end, helps you determine if you're pulling down the feedback or mix fast enough to kill the sustain as fast as you're intending, whether you've backed off enough to cut it out when needed. It's helpful feedback.

- "Tolerance" - moderate, normal, and rampant. I haven't tried those yet. The default, Normal, seemed fine.

It's an effect. If you use it on every phrase, it may get old (well...to the engineer!; am not sure about the listener.) If it's used some, great.

Since the plug-in seems to use the SAME sample on every note it plays...I think this plug in would get old QUICKLY if used on every song with an electric guitar part. Used occasionally, or more frequently but not always loudly in the mix - tres cool, imo. And, honestly, it's all I'm aware of to quickly and easily ADD feedback when you want it. I think it's best used dynamically - i.e. don't set and forget. Better to swirl those knobs around to get feedback where you want it, and back it off when needed.

It's moody and atmospheric. It's cool. It's fun. I liked it.

Last edited by Diogo C; 27th July 2015 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Added image and URL. Fixed category and URL.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search