The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2

Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

MIDI Guitar by Jam Origin v2 is an amazingly intuitive audio software that does a several powerful things.

15th June 2015

Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 by Tommy Zai

Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2

INTRO
MIDI Guitar by Jam Origin v2 is an amazingly intuitive audio software that does a several powerful things. Firstly, it converts the analog guitar signal into MIDI, which transforms the guitar into a MIDI controller. I have found the recognition of the notes to be spot-on accurate, even when playing the fastest licks — providing the noise gate is turned down a pinch to enable soft note recognition. Otherwise, no tracking setup is needed, which is very sweet. The one concern guitarists have when using guitar controllers, whether hardware or software, is the amount of latency. With MIDI Guitar, the lag-time from when a note is struck to when a MIDI note is triggered is virtually instant. This low latency makes it easy and reliable to use MIDI Guitar for noodling or recording. When I record to DAW, if there is a nominal signal delay, it is simple enough to adjust manually or via an auto quantize — so it’s not an issue whatsoever.

I have found this fine piece of software to respond equally as well with single notes and chords, speaking of which — there is a chord wheel (circle-of-fifths) that gives interactive visual chord feedback. I haven’t notice any adjustments in my playing style to accommodate the software — I just play! It’s extremely responsive and offers guitarists a familiar expressive environment from which the possibilities are only limited by the guitarists chops and imagination. Another feature that has proven to be invaluable to me is MIDI Guitars poly tuning, which allows me to digitally tune up within the same software that I playing through. This eliminates one more piece of gear hanging around for me to accidentally step on. There is also a pitch bend options that is triggered bend bending a string —*very cool! It also comes with a built-in, high quality convolution reverb that allows users to load external impulse responses. Another thing I dig about MIDI Guitar is extremely obvious — it is software! All I need is my MacBook, software, interface, 1/4 inch cable, and a guitar. I don’t need to purchase any special, expensive pickups, converter boxes, or other add-ons, and the price is fantastic considering what it does! The purchase and installation process is painless, and once installed it’s virtually plug-n-play. It comes with a standalone version as well as VST and AU plugins.

Note: I use MIDI Guitar in an educational setting and for recording. I can’t tell you how much fun we’ve had using this in and out of the classroom. Even after several lessons, the students giggle, clap, and stomp their feet when they see and hear my beat-up old guitar playing something other than a guitar sound — or another guitar altogether by triggering a better sounding modeled guitar or sampled guitar.

FAVORITE FEATURES
• Attractive Interface — doesn’t get in the way.
• Plug-n-play.
• Easy to use via the Essentials Page.
• Powerful via the Advanced Page — pitch detection can be refined here.
• Inputs all VST instruments for standalone use.
• Lots of control over audio, input, output, etc.
• Accurate pitch detection.
• Accurate velocity response.
• Very low latency, which can be optimized by buffer and sample rate adjustment.
• Small digital footprint — about 12mb for the standalone version.
• Inspiring and fun.
• Output Visualization is a cool feature.
• Responsive, enthusiastic developer.
• Fantastic price.

SUMMARY
In this age of digital workstations, an app/plugin like this is a must for guitarists. It allows them to express themselves with their instrument, instead of fumbling around robotically on a keyboard. I highly recommend MIDI Guitar to any guitarists who plays, performs, or records in the digital world. Tommy Zai gives MIDI Guitar two strums up. Thank you, Jam Origin, for creating such an amazing and inspiring software!

Note: I’m also a registered user of the MIDI Bass, which also promises to one day be as invaluable as the guitar version.

Cool Software Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GkBI941YY

22nd August 2018

Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 by maggotspawn

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2

Just got this after trying the demo. It's insane. I'm not a keyboard/synth player, but as a guitarist who messes with synths, this software opens a whole new world. It is polyphonic and tracks very well.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search