The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross Martin PCM4222

Ross Martin Audio PCM4222

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Budget friendly 2 Ch. ADC with a stunning sound.

9th June 2015

Ross Martin Audio PCM4222 by Firebirdv2

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Sound Quality:

Very Nice!
Sounds "real". Not airy, not thick, just great. Using a Neumann mic sounded like I was talking in my own ear. An analog synth sounded like it was plugged directly into a speaker, and re-listening to favorite vinyls was a little bit of a new experience for each one.

Also clocking other devices like a Fireface or MOTU made a noticeable improvement. Did a better job than an Apogee Rosetta, not a scientific comparison though.

Ease of Use:

Pretty darn easy. Controls are simple and basic, tactile and flip switches. I didn't give it a 5 because some controls are only listed in the manual. (Master/Slave Mode and Filtering Mode)

Features:

Stereo XLR and 1/4" Inputs. Digital Out is AES and SPDIF over Opto and Coax. Has BNC terminals for external clocking as well.

Inputs have -10 dB pads, meters are very responsive and accurate. I/O Panel isn't anything fancy but is sturdy.

There are little abalone overlays on tact switches that add a nice touch too.

Would prefer a linear power supply option instead of the wall wart, hasn't really made a difference though.

Bang for Buck

Extremely good for the price in my opinion. It's pretty hard to find another converter with a similar spec and price. The reason being it seems is the cost friendly design and the wait time for the units. Typically there are pre built units on the site for sale as well.

Final Thoughts

If your looking for a great converter at a great price, look no further. Don't hold your breath on the delivery time though.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Ross Martin PCM4222
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search