The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio EQP-WA

Warm Audio EQP-WA

4.95 4.95 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Pultec Style Tube Equalizer.

8th June 2015

Warm Audio EQP-WA by foldback

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Warm Audio EQP-WA

Synopsis: A very good sounding piece of hardware. Surprisingly heavy in physical weight too. Don't let the incredible low price fool you, this is a serious piece of delicious sonic processing. I bought a pair and have been amazed, they make everything sound better. Very consistent from unit to unit to.

I have always felt that $7000+ for a pair of Pultec EQ was silly, how could it be worth it?

There are lots of reviews of the Warm Audio EQP and they are all glowing with positive feedback. Many of them went to extreme lengths, tracking pairs of units, comparing to vintage units in studios and more.

Based off all that and what Warm Audio has on their website I decided to get a pair of EQP from Sweetwater.

Taking them out of the boxes I was impressed by the weight of the units. They don't try to mimic vintage physical attributes, all the cost investment is in the Cinemag transformers/inductors, quality tubes and steel package with internal power supply.

I let them warm up for an hour before patching them into my Neve 8816/8804 and listening to them on the Meyer monitors.

I played CD's I'm very familiar with and I played stereo master audio files that I mixed as sources, through the EQP, using the onboard bypass switch and the effects loop on the Neve, I was very gratified by the results. Everything sounds better through the EQP, no holds barred, you'll crave this sound on your mixes.

Bass sounded more huge, high frequency enhancement has that cool "ring" that only a cap/inductor eq can produce.

More important and MOST important, it sounds fantastic.

Next I patched up an AKG 414 into an API 312 mic pre into an 1176, then that into the EQP, then that into Apogee Ensemble into Logic X and did some recordings with a voice I'm very familiar with. The EQP quickly turned into the most important piece in the signal path. It made the bass sound huge without bloom or blur. The highs have that unmistakable sound of a cap/inductor EQ and the frequency selection is expanded over what the original Pulse Technology equalizers offered.

I just bought a new Martin D35E-retro acoustic guitar. For fun I ran it through an EQP using the onboard Fishman Aura + system and a large Bose PA. Amazing! The bass response on this guitar is incredible and the EQP just made it huge, again, without being too bass-heavy, it's an incredible effect.

I predict Warm Audio is going to sell A LOT of EQP units. I know I want at least four more of them for my OTB mixing style. I'm also looking at the TB12 from Warm with renewed interest.

Immediately, buy a pair. I could not be more serious. If you have any kind of serious recording capability and appreciate tone you will love these. I've had all sorts of magic boxes over the years, BBE and Aphex and others come to mind.

The EQP is not magic, it's real. When you hit bypass you'll want it back in the mix. Very happy with my purchase.

Give these a listen or just buy them, you won't regret it.

Good luck and good music to all!

Last edited by diogo_c; 5th August 2015 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Synopsis edited, link added

5th August 2015

Warm Audio EQP-WA by NateK

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Warm Audio EQP-WA

So i was lucky enough to win one of these EQ's in a recent GearSlutz competition and was really excited to try it as I had recently been considering building up a pair of the Pultec EQP-1A's from kit form so a BIG THANK YOU to Warm Audio and GearSlutz!

When it arrived via FedEx I opened the box to find it was packed nicely in some foam cutouts that slip over the ends of the unit and float it inside the box to protect from the kickball practice UPS and FedEx seem to like to use our boxes for! From the outside it looks nice, it is pretty hefty for how small in depth it is, being a tube based unit the transformers add a good heft! Next thing I did was take the top off it to take a look under the hood, I had seen a photo online of the guts but up close everything looked neat and tidy, obvious signs of being made overseas but not in a bad way just you can tell in the components and wiring style EXCEPT for the Cinemag transformers and Inductor. All in all everything looks great and the circuit is close to the original unit minus the 6X4 tube rectifier for the power supply portion. You can see an inside "guts" shot here in this link to Warm Audios website:

http://www.warmaudio.com/images/uplo...Ready_Snip.JPG

So here is my review so far:

Over the past month or so I have used the EQP-WA a few times recording vocals post mic pre before my compressor and I can say when boosting 20k it really adds a nice sheen to the top end that you can wish was there if you hit the bypass, also the boosting and cutting at the same time has some benefits taking out some midrange if you play around on both frequencies, I was very pleased to use it even sparingly and it really was difficult to make it sound poorly, honestly it never made it sound bad i just twiddled until it sounded great. When adjusting Bass frequencies i found brought a nice heft to them that sounded good without becoming boomy or overly muddy. I really would like to try this on an acoustic guitar recording as the tone and richness along with a top end would fit this EQ! I had only used plugin's of the Pultec in the past and now after using the analog variant MOST of them leave much to be desired.

Overall I am really pleased and will find myself buying a second unit to use for stereo tracking or running things in and out of Pro Tools into hardware and for that good ol' analog goodness some of us crave! Great job Warm, for the cost you can't go wrong if you want a Pultec style EQ that won't cost what a decent used vehicle does in the process the Warm should be on the top of your list. The Warm products are made at a price point to bring the sound of quality vintage gear at a reasonable (very in my opinion) price and i believe they have done so, i would have liked a few things to look more authentic but thats really secondary when it sounds excellent!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search