The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APS Klasik

APS Audio Klasik

4.7 4.7 out of 5, based on 7 Reviews

Excellent sounding, surgical precise nearfield monitors from polish company APS. Check my review below!

30th April 2015

APS Audio Klasik by krypt

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
APS Klasik

[Intro]
Hello there!
I've been producing music for several years (since about 2007). It was always a supplementary activity for me, I needed a hobby during university time, and later on, after regular work. I got hooked on music produciton and so my journey began. Recently I came to a conclusion that such hobby is great, but it is high time to buy better equipment, wich increases the quality of work and also gives more joy from using it. After changing audio interface to SPL Crimson [which is excellent gear by the way!] I decided, it is turn for nice speakers. For the past 6 months I did some market research, did some talking and shopvisiting and that resulted in few candidates for my next pair of speakers:
Eve Audio, APS, Adam and Event. Previously I used Alesis M1 520 Active [Which I thought were decent] but also I was familiar with Yamahas HS80, KRK RP5 and 8 and some Berhingers.
I listened and did some short production sessions also on Dynaudio Monitors BM5A MKIII which I appreciated (but they did not knock me down.

[The choice]
At first, I was interested in Event 20/30. My budget for a pair was about 1000-1200EUR. It turned out, that in my city (in Poland), they were impossible to buy and even to try. Then I turned towards highly acclaimed Eve Audio Sc 205 and Sc 207. I listened to them (IN SHOP) and they were very good, but not mind blowing. Just full spectrum detailed speakers. I also wanted to try Adams, but in the meantime I reminded myself about this polish company APS and their Aeon speakers, which were also appreciated by some friends. So I went to a studio to test their speakers.
Here is a photo from the studio where I tested them:
https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...53483267_o.jpg
I tried APS Klasik, APS Aeon and APS Coax + 12'' APS sub.
Aeon were nice (but not mindblowing - I'd say better than Dynaudios, but the mids were worse than Eve's). Coaxes with sub were mindblowing (but I was afraid of sub, and their price was also too high - 2+1 for 2500EUR). After I listened to Klasiks, I knew, they were speakers for me.Very natural sounding, custom designed and also matching my budget: a pair for 1200EUR.

[The studio]
Compared to the biggest, 8'' AEONS, I did not notice much difference in low freqs. I am basshead, and I like loads of bass (but at the same time I am aware of precision and not overdosing it) and in the studio it seemed like 7'' Klasiks performed as good as bigger speakers. They performed better thant they looked and their size could imply, so it was intriguing. But the biggest difference were mid freqs - which are very important to me. Compared to AEONS, Klasiks were much wider and very clear. Detailed, but at the same time natural. I decided to order them. I needed to wait 2-3 weeks for them to be produced in custom design. I must admit that the sound in studio was strange (or maybe I was not accustomed to studio sound), so I was a little anxious if my decision was right and how will they perform in my studio.

[The sound]
In March (it was about 20th March or later) my speakers arrived. They were home delivered. I installed them in my small room (circa 10m2, 3,5x3, wooden walls - see pictures). After I launched the speakers I could not belive the sound. Even the lowest lows were detailed - I listened to some dubstep podcast just to check, when the subwoofer is needed. It wasn't needed anywhere. The subbassline part was so clear, that I had the impression that I almost can see it as a separate track in DAW (which it obviously is), but first time I heard it not 'melted' with kick and other sounds, and that was mindblowing. Part of the good work is of course my small wooden room, but if speakers would not be so good, I would not write this review. Then again, mids and high's were so much wider than in my old speakers. At last I could hear even small amount of reverb and EQ after aplying it when producing a track. Before, I didn't hear such small changes. Now I hear A LOT. And last thing - my KLASIK mixes sound very good on every gear I am listening to them. Im focusing on ambient textures and deep-driven beat - you can check my latest mix on my soundcloud. Even if you don't like such kind of music I think the production quality is very good (it is of course unmastered, I leave mastering to the labels).
[Hit me a prv msg and I will provide you a link to a mix on Klasiks]

[Summary]
I know, there are more expensive speakers. I know, that I am not a pro. But after few years of listening and producing I can say, that Klasiks are the best speakers I listened so far. It is very hard to overvalue them. Maybe it's a little of sentiment that at least I could choose the best product from a company that is local, but if they were not so good, I would have chosen EVEs. My next step is buying APS Trinity. Very expensive for me at the moment (ca. 6000EUR) but the sound of those little fellas has stolen my heart. I belive it will happen again after buying their bigger sisters

P.S.
At the photos you can see Alesis M1 Active. I wanted to keep them for benchmark, but there is no point. Compared to Klasiks, they are no benchmark at all. They are useless.

P.S.2
I could write much more about the speakers - specially about bass precision - hit me with priv msg if you need more info.

Cheers
Krypt

Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik-dscf1438.jpg   APS Klasik-dscf1461.jpg   APS Klasik-dscf1464.jpg   APS Klasik-dscf1466.jpg   APS Klasik-dscf1474.jpg  

11th April 2016

APS Audio Klasik by earwolf

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
APS Klasik

I think I am fairly typical member of the Gearslutz community - a forty-something male that has been synthesising, sampling and recording since the eighties. I’ve read a ton of info over the years about studio monitors, but never really considered a decent upgrade until recently (despite investing heavily on the production tools - synths, samplers, desks and a ton of outboard).

I have relied on Yamaha HS50M for a while (considered adding the sub) and the tiny JBL Control One prior to that (which were surprisingly good and did make me feel that if you knew the limitations intimately you could work around them well). The usual mix of headphones (DT250, 880 Pro, Q701 etc) give me a way to double and triple-check mix aspects.

I’ve often thought the law of “diminishing returns” was likely to apply to monitors—in that once you went over a certain price point, you were seeing much less drastic differences (other than the obvious size-to-bass ratio). I auditioned a few (in less-than-ideal music store conditions) and where I could certainly see the obvious bass extension difference of the HS80M over the smaller 50, I was not compelled to trade up to much larger cabinets.

Many of my purchases has been formed by GS consensus—digging through a ton of threads of varying vintage and piecing together a feeling based on reputation of the poster, and the “consistency” of mentions. With the recent addition of a dedicated garden office (NOT built for recording from the ground-up, but a decent enough space nonetheless) I wanted to see what was being talked about up to the £1000 mark.

My wishlist was:

* Sound that knocked me out—for listening as well as laying my mixes bare
* Showing a very obvious difference next to my (admittedly entry-level HS50M’s)
* Plenty of bass without boomy tricks—I didn’t want to have to add a sub
* Compact but built to last
* Nothing wacky design-wise, just a classic look
* Musical listening and production taste is wide—hip-hop new and old, classic techno and electro, dub, ambient, pop etc blah.

I had checked out Genelecs but didn’t gel with them (and don’t like the look of them—this should probably not be that important but somehow it is). Focal, Eve and Adam were strongly recommended but I also saw a lot of love for the APS Klasik. I cross-checked on SOS and could only see reviews of higher-end APS models, which was reassuring.

I looked at prices and could see some favourable EU pricing for a UK buyer (slightly less so now unfortunately). I could also see that APS were themselves active on GS and were offering home demo pairs—that was a definite plus point. I spoke to Marek at APS via GS messaging—he was completely switched-on, receptive and keen for me to see what I thought. He promptly organised my home demo via Funky Junk in London.

They arrived rapidly and felt solid from the start—a no-nonsense slightly “industrial” design (which is my preference) with a small but weighty footprint. I set them up on Isoacoustics stands with extra sorbothane domes to help decouple on my desk. They are positioned about eight inches from my rear wall—somewhat unscientific but I tend to move my speakers around until they sound best to me (*dons flak jacket*).

I wired up an SPL 2Control specifically for the purpose of A/Bing my HS50’s against the Klasiks. Largely ignoring the advice to burn-in the Klasiks, I started playing ultra-familiar reference material. Sweet Jesus—it was if the Yamahas were two tin cans in comparison. I know that they might be EXPECTED to sound this way given the price bracket they are aimed at, but it made them instantly unlistenable to me next to the Klasiks. I would be very interested to know how many others tried such an A/B against some heavier hitters in a similar price range to the APS, and what the outcome was—I’m sure many others have gone way further with detailed comparison, but I was immediately incredibly happy.

Bass is plentiful, solid and “fast” (sorry bit of a hi-fi term but I can see why they use such words now). There seems to be a clarity and sweetness to everything the Klasiks pump out, without being glossy or gimmicky. Mixes are pulled wide open so you can “see” into them—the best comparison I can make is how my DT880 Pros help reveal what is going on (apart from bass - DT250 have to be wheeled out for that). My goal to be able to get the precision of headphones in a pair of monitors is realised—but given the scant time I seem to have of late to work on my own productions, it is great simply listening to my favourite music on them.

In true SOS fashion, I bought the review pair—there was no way these were leaving my desk. Adam at Funky Junk was a star, and I am happy to help spread the word about these little beauties. Many thanks to Marek and all at APS, the FJ team and to Gearslutz for helping to bring motivated manufacturers and curious customers closer together.

15th April 2016

APS Audio Klasik by arr_official

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
APS Klasik

Hello,
first I want to thank the wonderful guys at APS for creating these fantastic monitors.
The only thing wrong with this company and its products is that they are not well-known enough. Maybe not enough marketing or reluctant audio engineers. Maybe both.
I have owned them for more than half a year now and it was a pleasure to work with them.
What the other guys here said is very true but I want to add how things looked tuned out after a while.
I did listen to Adam A7X, KH120 and LSR308/HS8. There just is no comparison.

The tweeter replicates the finest of details and lets you hear very much about what needs (or needn't) be done to the highs. They can sound very harsh if you totally overdo it, exactly like it should btw, BUT NEVER ever TIRES. I even had this problem on fabric domes (and a fat lol @ A7X in this regard), and this aluminium dome somehow manages to completely lack this ability. Twelve to sixteen hours a day (writing music, listening to other's), no big deal.
The 3d staging is pretty sick, I'd guess you have an accuracy of 1° or even a bit lower.

The mids - smooth, transparent and detailed, just where they should be. Not at all "in the background" or bathtub-style "behind the bass and highs".
A lol @ the A7X here too. Maybe a minor lol. And also a minor one for KH120.

As for the low end; yes, they really do extend down to 35Hz with much punch, short decay times and a fast attack. And it isn't like the quantity would fit the size, there is just a very good and solid amount. Without seeing them you'd think they were bigger, sealed and had some kind of DSP low end magic going on but nope, they just are that well designed. And forget KH120 here. Tubby, sloppy, hectic and they don't even get close to how low the Klasiks go. While the KH120 sound like a "tryhard", the Klasiks just "do what they are told". Also, the KH120 sound coloured where as the Klasiks are not +-0,05dB flat but are shaped in a nice way that takes a bit more focus to the midrange, very subtly so.

So, to summarise, while the bass is great, midrange and the highs definitely are very, very good too.

For longterm development of the monitors: Well, they just keep growing.

I started on the Klasiks with a RME Multiface I. Quite a respectable and fine-sounding interface. And in interfaces below 300$, the sound quality is worse than most onboard audio.
Steinberg and Focusrite should ****ing go die in shame for what they put out in that price range but I digress...(used both)
Anyways, I thought the Multiface sounded very good. Then I bought a RME Fireface 800. I didn't expect any change in sound quality (bought it because of the preamps, the amp and loopback-overdrive which didn't work on the Multiface) but man, the transparency and clarity took a big jump upwards.

Second growth point: When I moved into my own apartment (25sqm, I'm a student) my uncle and me built some standing acoustic treatment with rockwool (similar to corning) and wood frames. As we put them up, it became very easy to hear smaller details I didn't even hear on my DT880 600Ohm before. Also, the room was pretty much gone. This was still with the Multiface. Treating the ceiling above my listening position with the same mineral wool panels also did a lot, it was like lifting a screen door veil. A friend ("just" a pianist) once described the sound of my listening position as "headphones" and guess what, I like it rather "dry".
Hell, I'd be in an anechoic chamber all day if I had one (was in one for two days at my dad's work, so cool).
When I employ a reverb, I want to hear it and not it+what ever the **** my room does, also making me not really hear when a small reverb might be necessary.

Third factor: audio file quality. On the Klasiks, even without treatment and if your DAC is good enough, you will be able to instantly tell between 320kbps and 44100-16bit FLAC/WAV.
But it doesn't even ****ing end there! If you learn what to listen for, you will hear how "true", "right" and "tidy" a 88.2/96kHz 24bit file sounds like. Then if you get to 192 there isn't this much of an improvement anymore but the Klassiks still let you hear it a little if you know what to listen for there.

Fourth factor: From what I read the Klasiks were tuned to be kinda the direction of tool that NS-10 were (but with bass). And they did succeed, but here is one more way in which they grow.
Every room, basically no matter how well-treated is going to influence sound in an unwanted way or even have serious problems (especially below 100Hz).
I can call myself lucky to have found a solution about a year ago.
You take a measurement mic (ECM8000 is fine to start with), maybe have it calibrated for frequency response and phase and then plug it into MathAudio RoomEQ (a VST, but also AU I believe) and measure your room. Then you run that measured profile on your master (obv. you turn it off before export). The result: a perfectly flat frequency response at your listening position. The influence of your room, already included. IMHO, a linear frequency response always sounds best on finished music (the closest to what the mastering guy heard) and obviously gives the best results in mixing.
Still, even in mid- and highrange, the Klasiks "grow" in detail and precision and the room modes are counteracted 75%.
The funny thing is, by upgrading to an EMX-7150 (better measurement mic, also calibrated) the Klasiks still somehow manage to pull more detail out of their hat, if the DAC delivers. I bet you, an Earthworks will somehow manage to do the same!

Well, that is pretty much all from me today. I'll somewhen go for an APS SUB10 or something and proper sub 100Hz treatment as I also pretty much need accurate sub 35Hz for my music (but most people really really won't).
We'll see how that affects things. Maybe after that (years in the future) a pair of APS Trinity (haven't heard them yet and I don't want to until I can afford them (and a matching room)) and two SUB15 *drool*

TL;DR-edition: The Klasiks are great themselves. Also, buying them at retail is basically a steal. And they keep growing as your other stuff gets better, you treat your room and such (which you would have to do with other good monitors too).

P.S.: Sorry for the ****ty pic. I only have (and need) a Moto E V2. Rather buy some good mic and stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik-img_20160412_203626.jpg  
20th May 2016

APS Audio Klasik by janiq

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
APS Klasik

Recently due to some studio changes I had to replace my focal cms 50 monitors with sub cms for just two main monitors with extended low end (as I am mixing loads of dance music stuff). I have listened to APS Klasik at few of my clients studios and had always good words about them. So when time came I have decided to take the plunge. I must say that after two months of use I really think there is nothing better in this price range. When I spoke with representative of this company over the phone he told me what they have done is to cut the cost on the case but kept the quality of everything else. With higher grade case they could easily cost twice that much and no one would have complained. Now about the sound quality. I gave only 4 because i have experience with more expensive stuff and I know that there are better options out there but like I said in this price range from my experience nothing compares. Low end - I have made tests here in my studio end what it says on the tin is very close. I was able to easily catch all the subs around 37 hz (they say to go as low as 35 hz so its really close). I couldn't be more happier about that. The midrange speakers are 7 inch but they sound very natural to me and translate very good on other systems. When comparing side by side to my Focal CMS system the only difference I have noticed straight away was that they are not that fast in terms of how they react to transients. Its not bad but comparing to my focal cms 50 they were slower. So in plain english I had to adjust my ear to hear all the details at first glance ie kick transients, snare transients etc. Now after further use I have got used to it so its not a problem for me anymore. I guess it is because aps klasik has a bigger midrange speaker than focal cms 50 hence the difference of how they react. About the high end - APS used an aluminium speaker which is really bright so at first you definitely have to get used to how it sounds. But in the end I found it better option than my old focals especially for modern dance music. The main reason I can recommend those speakers to anyone is that they are very flexible. You can easily mix any kind of music on them and you wont have any problems with getting great results. Good low end, very natural mid range , brighter high end but easily manageable (like I said this is a good extension for modern music). Do yourself a favour and try them before you buy anything else.

10th November 2016

APS Audio Klasik by doom3crazy

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
APS Klasik

While my experience with gear is limited I did have a chance to audition the APS Klasik and also the Yamaha Hs8(Zen Pro mod Edition) Both in that 1000$+ bracket. Ill start by telling you my impressions of the Zen pro yamaha and end with the Klasik.

Wether or not the mod makes a HUGE difference over the original(As I have not heard a stock hs8) The detail and depth to all the sounds were very nice. You could hear the reverb tails very clearly but, with that being said, I did end up sending them back and keeping the Klasik and here's why::

Wether or not it was my small 9x8 room(which is treated with bass traps etc) the low end on the yamaha compared to my APS klasik were more boomy. The 2nd thing was that the highs were just too harsh on my ears. Even with the tweeter set to -2, I would fatigue after an hour or two of listening. I could go 14 hours+ on my Klasik and be fine. Near the end of my testing with about 75 hours or so in, it did seem as if the highs were beginning to mellow out. I have read online at about 100-200 hours of burn in time, the highs start to mellow out but with zen pro's unusually short return policy(only seven days) I was not able to spend enough time with them to fully have an opinion on that matter.

All in all, for their price, the yamaha are a steal of a deal, But when comparing to my Klasik(which has a response of 35-25kz with a +- 2db) my Klasik were more balanced and accurate even if they didn't sound quite as detailed in terms of depth and clarity as the Zen pro(Yamaha's def seemed to have a bit wider stereo image with more depth in sounds than the Klasik. I could hear reverb tails better on the Yamaha)

The Klasik do have an almost Hi Fi-ish vibe to them being on the warmer side, which in turn could turn some people off. Initially, I was not a fan as I have always preferred a more clinical sound. Being able to close my eyes and pick out each instrument with pristine clarity is one of my fav things.

What sold me on the Klasik in the end was the size/weight/and accuracy across the lows/mids and highs. Especially in the low end. (The transients hit fast and hard and leave you with a tight punchy low end) Additionally, these are def fun to mix on and so far in my experience they translate very well. They are tiny guys! Weighing in at just a mere 17lbs each.

I think down the road I may save up and buy a more clinical monitor more suited for just critical mixing/mastering but I will keep the APS Klasik. I believe if you're serious about music you need a more fun/warm speaker to actually make/produce the music on and then a more cold/clinical speaker for critical listening/mixing.

I should make a side note that vocals in particular on the APS Klasik sounded(to my ears) more naturally represented. The yamaha felt wider but almost too in your face if that makes sense.

Hope this helps others out there, enjoy!

Edit::: 12/12/2016

Since writing this review I have really dialed in my Klasik's and they are by far the most accurate speaker I have ever owned/used. Translation to other systems is excellent!!

By dialing in I mean speaker placement. I spent hours finding the best spot in my room for these and it paid off. I also find these to be very good when using in a non treated space. Due to the speakers giving you such a tight punchy sound even at louder volumes it was harder to excite certain room modes(especially in the low end) in return giving you a accurate representation of the sound.

23rd April 2017

APS Audio Klasik by robertgeorge

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
APS Klasik

Compared to (2) other well respected and popular brands of near field monitors I have tried in my studio, your Klasiks obviously have a more extended low end but the low end is clear and tight, not boomy. The sweet spot is much wider. The mids and highs are much clearer. The phantom center is much stronger. There is considerably less low mid build up and it seems like I can trust these more. It's interesting that I seem to enjoy listening to these more and they seem less fatiguing than the others as well. Awesome!! Great job!!"

I've been enjoying these more and more everyday. Found the sweet spot for distance in my room (49" equilateral triangle) for my room. They are also VERY quiet. Also, these are designed to work really well horizontally as well as vertically. This is important for me because I need the sound coming from my soffit mount mains to pass above these so having them on their sides works perfect for me. To be honest, I like them horizontally slightly more than vertically.

Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik-img_2613.jpg   APS Klasik-img_2611.jpg   APS Klasik-img_2614.jpg   APS Klasik-img_2612.jpg  
14th June 2017

APS Audio Klasik by Martel80

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
APS Klasik

Ok so that review is a bit complicated.....not because it is a split opinion type of product but because it is really alone ....on its own in a sea of half offering type of product.

I'll try to explain the best I can but you wont believe me unless you try them on your own .

I was looking for an all in one solution for my Studio B.
A nearfield solution that could give it all to me at once. I was not quite sure I could find it ( or at least something decent to work with across the freq range )
I went in all the popular avenues....Neuman, Focal, Adams, Genelec and Event....but of course all of them were colored or only responsive in a very specific freq range. I'm not telling you those solutions arent good.....but the Klasik really had pity for the others A/Bing in the same room as these brands on the sub 2500$ USD brackets.

It is true that the sub freq are pretty tight ( thats with what I like to call the ''Lets bring the party to the studio'' button on the back (Bass switch to extended))
And thats kind of where all the magic happen ( that bass switch ).

if you put that same switch to roll off , you get another great solution to focus on your high mids....put it to Passive and you get very very impressive solution for detailed mids and highs.

If you need me to absoluetly find somethings that is kind of ''lacking'' in this product I'd point out 2 things, the depth of field is not as impressive and detailed as some of its competition ( genelec in the mid high for example) and to me, that lack of definition was kind of problematic first because it got me confused when trying to build rough mixes ....I thought I was so wrong but no....everything was translating perfectly....it was just less present on the klasiks. the second thing would be the mid high definition....I guess its a professional deformation ....so used to listen to over crispy monitors......
I dont know, to be honest , the mid highs do sound amazing but when you worked for so long with uncomplete product that were OVER aiming their product strength on the mid highs and then finaly , you end up getting those awesome and perfect little monsters in a mid sized mix room...it really get you confused.
Klasik....where were you when I needed you the most ....15 years ago !!

Those cans are just perfect...what more can I say...Ive never heard EVER heard something like this on the sub 2K$ Bracket ....NEVER !!

I could keep on bragging about my babies but thats enough, you go ahead and make a fool of yourself and buy anything else in this price bracket , or you try it for yourself ....your call.

Other thing that I need to point out is the TEAM behind the product.

RAY at APS is at the heights of its product if we look at it on the customer satisfaction point of view. He is the Bono of the High end studio gear.

He refered me to chris ( the resaler in canada ) .
Another golden men !!!
Those guys are EPIc with their customers, they are there to make you happy and they will. It was my first time with those 2 guy and Every time I visit a new studio nowadays, well, I end up talking about APS , Ray and chris from Timbre Studio in calgary.

I feel very privileged to had the opportunity to make business with them and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for a high quality product .

I just hope I could convince all good men to go with APS, with my review, but I cant......

Give it a shot, believe me.... even against my jbl 4343 they were still clean and proud.

Wonderfull Job APS and Timbre Studio.

Hat down Gentlemans.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search