The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live from Berlin--Digital Concert Hall
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you, David.
Sorry to say that that Kleiber documentary is blocked here in the US.

I have already watched it a few times here on a DVD. A beautiful and informative document.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
That's from thirty years ago! I have to concede Claudio Abbado was a master.
Fair comment.
The LSO didn't think so in the ewarly to mid eighties when i worked with them!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I worked with the LSO and Claudio Abbado in that period, and the consensus among my friends in the orchestra was that they thought the world of him. I guess it depends who you talked to. The relationship between individual players and conductors depends on many things.

The relationship between a conductor and an engineer depends on many things as well. I found Claudio Abbado great to work with, and a very decent man offstage as well. One day I had been at London Heathrow Airport Terminal 3 car park delivering my son for a flight to the USA and as we walked away from the car, out of nowhere someone came over to me and said "Hello Tony". I looked round and it was Claudio Abbado! Not all conductors have that attitude, to be sure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Speaking of the LSO, it seems they're maintaining their Barbican and St Luke's concerts into late March ! Questionable wisdom, is this even permitted ? Why not follow the Berlin Phil & Met Opera and make their LSO Live downloads more accessible for a month or so ?
Our local concert hall is cancelling their weekly events, but live streaming some selected upcoming events...to retain their audience, and keep spirits up.

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 11:36 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I would be surprised if London concert venues will remain open much longer. Even if they do, they will be playing to very small numbers in the audience.
The understanding I hear is that the UK Government does not want to issue legally binding orders to close places of entertainment (including pubs and restaurants as well) because insurers of businesses will be hit hard by claims for compensation for loss of business. Instead the businesses are cornered effectively to take unilateral decisions to close or not, and in that eventuality their insurers may claim there are limited grounds to seek compensation.

It will affect recording sessions almost certainly. Orchestral touring, especially outside the UK will grind to a halt most probably because of travel complications as well as venue closures. Tough times for orchestras and for the players, many of whom in London are not salaried.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tough times for all. Stay well!

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Please, please, please can we have some dynamic range. The scores have ppp, pp, p. mp, mf, f, ff, fff - maybe more. All I hear is a loud mf
Yes !
I posted this years ago (post nr7 in this thread).

I cannot listen to this !
It sounds like someone taking a crap after eating something very unhealthy.

I would have hoped they would have improved their standard over the last few years.

Ridiculous, they offered 5.1 surround sound and HD images, but the sound quality is very LOFI at the very best.

I do seem to remember an article about the Berliner recording straight to disc (vinyl), with just a stereo Blumlein main mic (two MKH800twins in fig8). They were blown away by the quality !

Foolish of them to suppose it was the straight to vinyl cut that made the sound drastically superior.

A month free - great. I still cannot listen to it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
That's the Konzerthaus at the Gendarmenmarkt, not the (much more recently built) Philharmonie.

A wonderful hall, yes!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Dirk, I have family in Berlin Phil and knew it wasn't the Philharmonie. Reason for posting was the superb picture, connection with thread, another live streaming option.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 2 weeks ago at 03:10 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Yes !
I posted this years ago (post nr7 in this thread).

I cannot listen to this !
It sounds like someone taking a crap after eating something very unhealthy.

I would have hoped they would have improved their standard over the last few years.

Ridiculous, they offered 5.1 surround sound and HD images, but the sound quality is very LOFI at the very best.

I do seem to remember an article about the Berliner recording straight to disc (vinyl), with just a stereo Blumlein main mic (two MKH800twins in fig8). They were blown away by the quality !

Foolish of them to suppose it was the straight to vinyl cut that made the sound drastically superior.

A month free - great. I still cannot listen to it.
I did manage to listen to some of it but really only the one player that in my opinion was outstanding. And that was Daniel Hope (Violin). The other performers left me bored, unimpressed, and made me swich off fairly quickly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search