The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In-ear monitors
Old 20th May 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
In-ear monitors

Hi all,

I do love my HD600, but I'd like to get a good pair of in-ears for Ipod listening and critical listening in noisy environments.
I'd prefer to not get molded in-ears.

Are the ultimate ears UE900 good?

What's your experience?

Thanks!

Huub
Old 21st May 2013
  #2
Huub,
I don't have the UE900's that you're looking at but I have the Shure 425 and the Etymotic HF5.
The Shure have plenty of bass and I have custom molds for them. I use them when editing on the road and when I need to wear them for a long time.
My day to day in-ears are the Etymotics. I use them on the subway everyday and couldn't be happier. Only wish they had removable cables.
I found them on Amazon a half a year ago for $79. They show up periodically around that price. Today they are $99. If I had to to do again i'd probably get the HF2 instead. Same driver but has a mic for the phone.
All the best,
-mark
Old 21st May 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 

UE IEMs are quite good, however when I did my listening tests, I preferred Westone ER-5 instead. Got them and I haven't looked back. I use them when mixing monitors, listening to music and everything on a plane or other noisy environment, mixing/recording when I'm in the acoustic space as performer, etc...

All IEMs take a while to get used to so don't do anything critical with them immediately, but once on them, it's hard to go back for those situations. my monitoring levels and listening levels dropped by half when I got them as I just didn't have to get over the ambient noise around me.

--Ben
Old 21st May 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
Thanks,

Mark, do the Etymotics offer decent isolation?
Old 21st May 2013
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Thanks,

Mark, do the Etymotics offer decent isolation?
It all comes down to fit. I'm lucky to have the stock triple flange inserts fir me pretty well. Others I know can only use the custom molds. I had to go back twice for my molds because I was not happy with the fit of the first ones over long periods.
All the best,
-mark
Old 21st May 2013
  #6
LX3
Lives for gear
 
LX3's Avatar
 

I have the custom mold UE reference monitors. I used to use various generic in-ears, but it became too much of a palaver to get them in and out when people needed to speak to me.

The UE References are also clearly very accurate by comparison... although the best generics I had were a pair of Shure E4s. Which aren't bad at all, but aren't exactly cutting-edge.

I used to get better isolation with the E4s and the triple-flange fittings than I do with the custom molds, but I think the custom molds need a bit of modification.
Old 21st May 2013
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
I used to get better isolation with the E4s and the triple-flange fittings than I do with the custom molds, but I think the custom molds need a bit of modification.
I've had good luck with the triple flange sleeves on my Shure SE535's. They sound excellent and isolate quite well.
I have some friends who swear by Westone's, but I haven't ever been able to directly A/B similar models...
Old 21st May 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
Thanks, great replies!
Old 22nd May 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
JonesH's Avatar
I've listened to a fair share of iem:s and not one pair sounded acceptable from monster, Yamaha, senngeiser, B&W or other readily available offerings in hifi stores. Did not listen to the UE or Shures though.
Just got a pair of etymotics hf3 and they're ok. Decent soundstage, decent spectral representation without the dreadful high bass bump that many seem to have which makes acoustic music unlistenable. Can't say that they're perfect and I'm still wrestling with the fit but they're decent for the money.
Old 23rd May 2013
  #10
Gear Addict
 

I've had Westones UM2s amd loved them, they were my live in-ears and loved them so much I started using them everyday, got also the Shure equivalent of the SE215, the ones that came with the PSM systems, pretty good, less detailed, but very revealing.

Ive heard the new Se series its actually reaaally revealing, meaning that you will actually hear stuff on your music you might have never heard before, specially with the SE415. A couple of months ago i got my UM4x from Westone, the direct competitor from the 415s, and I must say I just looove that sound signature, its just envolving, amazing, I love it! Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler, they are some of the Westone friends.

On the other side, the UE are widely used by famous and pro artists around the world also, haven't had the chamce to try them though.

Hope it helps.
Old 23rd May 2013
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I've been using a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps for about five years. Great isolation, excellent sound. Microphonics are an issue, as is cable durability. I had one cable go bad but they were generous with the replacement.

Recently had them stolen and decided to switch things up a bit, so I ordered a pair of Velodyne vPulses. They've been getting great reviews. I can offer my impression once they get here.
Old 24th May 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
I have had a pair of ER-4B's for around 20 years now. I bought them after AUDIO reviewed them as second only to Stax Lambda Pro-4's. They are good. They have never failed me. And they are rugged and long lasting. As long as they hold up I see no need to switch. My other headphones are SONY V6's and ATH M50's. They ER-4's go under industrial sound-deadening headgear nicely for really sealed listening.
Old 26th May 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
Thanks all,
I did not want to spend a lot of money, so I bought the Shure Se215cl. (100 euro or so)
Pretty good for iPhone listening and certainly useable for monitoring when recording/mixing.
slightly woolly low end, but really pretty good sounding overall.
comfortable, very sturdy and no microphonic cable sounds.
Old 26th May 2013
  #14
Gear Head
 
Notsosane's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I have had a pair of ER-4B's for around 20 years now. I bought them after AUDIO reviewed them as second only to Stax Lambda Pro-4's. They are good. They have never failed me. And they are rugged and long lasting. As long as they hold up I see no need to switch. My other headphones are SONY V6's and ATH M50's. They ER-4's go under industrial sound-deadening headgear nicely for really sealed listening.
Another thumbs -up for 4B's. Not hyped. I use Complyfoam tips. Very good isolation even without additional headgear. For me, they seemed to be the best for the money. With more money I'd probably tried Westone or Shure.
Old 30th May 2013
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Thumbs down



Well, Velodyne vPulses get two thumbs down from me. Extremely boomy bass (should've seen that one coming – Velodyne made their name in subwoofers!) and severely lacking mids and highs. I'd given them some time to settle in if it wasn't for the fact that they also did not isolate anywhere near as well as I hoped. I want the world to disappear, like I'm used to with the Etys!

So these are going back, but I found a very good deal on an open-box set of HF5s and I'm going with those for now.
Old 8th December 2014
  #16
Wsup guys

I need headphones that will avoid leaking sound to the mic while im recording.

Any experience with in-ear in the vocal recording domain?

I got an eye on some decent, not so expensive,model

Shure se215 and westone um1.
Old 9th December 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfredoFernando View Post
Wsup guys

I need headphones that will avoid leaking sound to the mic while im recording.

Any experience with in-ear in the vocal recording domain?

I got an eye on some decent, not so expensive,model

Shure se215 and westone um1.
Go with the Shure SE215's. They sound good and isolate sound better than anything else I've ever tried.
Old 9th December 2014
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
Go with the Shure SE215's. They sound good and isolate sound better than anything else I've ever tried.
thank you mate
Old 9th December 2014
  #19
I think i'll go my another one.

Some westone um pro 10. Just got a cool deal for them right now.
They seem to have a balanced sound. I guess they dont bleed to like the shure
Old 9th December 2014
  #20
Gear Addict
 
Marlan's Avatar
 

I like the Etymotics a lot as well. However, I went with the Monster Turbine Pro Copper editions. These blew me away. They're a little pricey (I think I paid $400), but I was really impressed with the quality of sound and build. They also come with every conceivable earpiece one could ever want to create the perfect fit and minimize outside noise (although it's still a little difficult to edit on an airplane with them). A colleague mentioned that even the entry level standard Turbine in-ears which are 1/3 the price of the coppers are fantastic but I have not heard them myself. I think they discontinued the original and have a newer model out now called the advanced:

http://www.monsterproducts.com/Monst...n-Ear_Speakers

Here's an old review of the one's I own.

Comparison test: Three Monster Turbine in-ear headphones - CNET
Old 9th December 2014
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlan View Post
I like the Etymotics a lot as well. However, I went with the Monster Turbine Pro Copper editions. These blew me away. They're a little pricey (I think I paid $400), but I was really impressed with the quality of sound and build. They also come with every conceivable earpiece one could ever want to create the perfect fit and minimize outside noise (although it's still a little difficult to edit on an airplane with them). A colleague mentioned that even the entry level standard Turbine in-ears which are 1/3 the price of the coppers are fantastic but I have not heard them myself. I think they discontinued the original and have a newer model out now called the advanced:

http://www.monsterproducts.com/Monst...n-Ear_Speakers

Here's an old review of the one's I own.

Comparison test: Three Monster Turbine in-ear headphones - CNET
these look awesome, but the price $$$....

What attrac me to the Westone um pro 10 is that they got detachable cables wich I find to be realy cool if it damage. And beside that, I got them at the same price as the shure se215, so it's a yes for me.

At the end of the day, what matter to me, its the ability to avoid sound bleed to the mic while I'm recording and at the same time to get some good mids to listen to my voice.
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Head
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Need advice on best value in ear monitors for Edrums and synth

I recently purchased a pair of Sony MDR-XB50AP earbuds so I can mess with my Uno Synth at the bar/pub when my friends get into endless hours of conversing about fantasy football and professional golf. The low end is completely blown out by the Uno Synth rendering them unusable for this purpose. I'm in a money crunch right now so I can't spend over $100 for something more suitable.

I've got some DECENT headphones but they're a little bit over the top for wearing in public places.

I'm considering getting a pair of Shure SE215. Is there something better than these in this price range ? I've read some comments about the new SE215 being cheaply made and not as good as the originals. Anyone gotten a new pair of these recently who can comment about the build quality / sound fidelity ?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Sony MDR-XB50AP earbuds so I can mess with my Uno Synth at the bar/pub when my friends get into endless hours of conversing about fantasy football and professional golf. The low end is completely blown out by the Uno Synth rendering them unusable for this purpose. I'm in a money crunch right now so I can't spend over $100 for something more suitable.

I've got some DECENT headphones but they're a little bit over the top for wearing in public places.

I'm considering getting a pair of Shure SE215. Is there something better than these in this price range ? I've read some comments about the new SE215 being cheaply made and not as good as the originals. Anyone gotten a new pair of these recently who can comment about the build quality / sound fidelity ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Even though they are made of plastic...the se215 are good bang for the buck.


I jog/workout with them, sweat, lost them in the washing and drying machine, outside on the rain snow..... let them dry and still fonctionnal.


As long as you dont hit them with a hammer...your good

Last edited by WilfredoFernando; 1 week ago at 01:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Gear Head
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfredoFernando View Post
Eceb trough they are made of plastic...the se215 are good bang for the buck.
I don't understand what "Eceb trough" means. Are you recommending the SE-215 or is ECEB some other product possibly misspelled that I can't seem to find any information on. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Eceb trough = even though. Cell phones are the doom of accurate spelling...
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Sorry


These cellphone are not made for my big thumbs
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Gear Head
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Eceb trough = even though. Cell phones are the doom of accurate spelling...
Cool, I picked up a pair of SUPPOSEDLY open box SE-215 on FleaBay for $60 shipped. Thanks for your insight.
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Lives for gear
If your source is an iphone or iPad, consider the Sennheiser AMBEO headset. Sounds good, noise cancelling, and doubles as a binaural mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Hi all,

I do love my HD600, but I'd like to get a good pair of in-ears for Ipod listening and critical listening in noisy environments.
I'd prefer to not get molded in-ears.

Are the ultimate ears UE900 good?

What's your experience?

Thanks!

Huub
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump