Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks cool.

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They will be making a lot of money with this if it is priced right. I am looking forward to the reviews. How to tell if the soup is good or not without tasting it?
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
They will be making a lot of money with this if it is priced right. I am looking forward to the reviews. How to tell if the soup is good or not without tasting it?
Wonder if I should trade in my TASCAM DR-680 for one of these.
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Why, by checking the price tag, of course.

Why, by checking the label for an established brand, of course.

Why, by checking what sort of store sells it, of course.

Actually, in this case, by seeing the product page and discovering that one of the modular add-ons will be a shotgun mic!!!

But on a positive note, the 20 dB pad switches are a good sign that Zoom has heard its customers.

Fran
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Like I wondered elsewhere, there's no mention of phantom powering. Info on that would be reassuring (or off-putting).
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall. . ."
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think Zoom has strayed outside the bounds of what is considered "handy!"
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
can you record overdubs with the Zoom 6 ?
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apparently (according to a kind person who translated a YouTube presentation from German) phantom power is provided.
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
that would be cool ... thank you ...
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow...nobody slagging Zoom off yet? Come on, guys....where are you?
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

Wonder if it will take +4 line input yet...
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think Plush just did. And I echo his dismissive attitude toward all the cheap "dollar-store" technology and the DIY hobbyists that use them. Not really worth anyone's consideration IMO.

That being said. It does "look" cool.
Old 16th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Wonder if it will take +4 line input yet...
That would be nice.
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I saw a presentation where the sales guy said it does take +4. I was about to get the Olympus LS-100, now this. For me it´s all about the sound quality, especially

s/n ratio. The mics have been improved he says, "full size sdc´s" But what about the preamps?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I saw a presentation where the sales guy said it does take +4. I was about to get the Olympus LS-100, now this. For me it´s all about the sound quality, especially

s/n ratio. The mics have been improved he says, "full size sdc´s" But what about the preamps?
If it takes +4, maybe the on-board preamp is not so important.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
can you record overdubs with the Zoom 6 ?
I hope so
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
And I echo his dismissive attitude toward all the cheap "dollar-store" technology and the DIY hobbyists that use them.
You do so at your peril. My wife's a professional photographer, and they all had the same attitude about cameras and DIY'ers. Many people will buy Uncle Bob a decent Digital SLR instead of paying $4k for a photographer...and end up regretting it; but that's still one gig lost. In an industry with no barrier to entry and no accreditation bodies, you should always be looking over your shoulder.

WE all know that there's much more to recording than gear, but you know who doesn't? Everyone else.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
WE all know that there's much more to recording than gear, but you know who doesn't? Everyone else.
So true. How do we change that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
So true. How do we change that?
Mind you this is for photography, but there are really many parallels to audio recording.

Value-added services; you have to provide what an amateur cannot. Web hosting, post production, additional products.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
Mind you this is for photography, but there are really many parallels to audio recording.

Value-added services; you have to provide what an amateur cannot. Web hosting, post production, additional products.
I think there are a lot more enthusiasts in photography than audio recording. I see quite a few parents at children's concerts walking around with cameras with lenses bigger than my head. But I don't see anyone holding up a zoom or anything other than their phones.

I think the people who primarily use devices like the zooms are musicians themselves. The market is quite small, I think.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
I think there are a lot more enthusiasts in photography than audio recording. I see quite a few parents at children's concerts walking around with cameras with lenses bigger than my head. But I don't see anyone holding up a zoom or anything other than their phones.

I think the people who primarily use devices like the zooms are musicians themselves. The market is quite small, I think.
You know, you're probably right. It's just that whenever I hear people dismiss the democratizing effects of technological innovation, my antenna goes up.

I'm sure typesetters, journalists, daily newspapers' classified section salesmen and television network executives all thought the same thing.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if the market was small, I doubt you'd have everyone and his dog entering it and innovating so quickly.
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Many people will buy Uncle Bob a decent Digital SLR instead of paying $4k for a photographer...and end up regretting it; but that's still one gig lost.
I have lost many jobs to budget engineers and DIYers in the past. Almost all of those people or groups are now repeat clients. Sometimes they just have to learn from their mistakes. One job lost increases your value in their eyes and their willingness to pay without regret.

There is also a difference between dismissing innovation and the de-evolution of quality. I don't think anyone can claim an H4 is a significant advance in sound technology, it is just cheap portability manufactured by pseudo-slave labor.

That being said, I do have a Tascam DR-100 (probably also made by starving 8-year-olds). And it does come in handy for interviews, acoustic and microphone checks, and spur of the moment sound capture. The Zoom is much the same, though it is made by Samson, which is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and reliability.
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by renec View Post
IMO -

The democratization of the tools is not a liability, or at least it shouldn't be if we're providing services beyond just ownership of the tools and our potential clients have an actual need for professionals. If I find myself being replaced by an H4n, then the issue is not with the existence of the H4n.

If my clients have high expectations with regards to output, then it's my job to deliver on those expectations and price my work accordingly. I'm being hired for my expertise and experience, not my gear.

If those expectations and their budgets come into conflict, that's an issue that my client has to deal with. I can certainly offer counsel, but I CAN NOT undercut myself or bid against myself.

If I'm the only game in town that can execute the job on the level my client requires, I'm in a position of strength, not weakness. I can treat both my client's time and my own time as highly valuable in this situation. If I don't have enough business from high end clients to survive, then I have to diversify my range of services.

If I'm in a competitive environment then I have to assess the competition and develop services that distinguish me.

If I have a lot of clients that don't listen to me, then the common thread is not the clients.

--

The bottom line in my opinion is that its absolutely true that clients and the market are changing. But that has always been true, and it will always be true. The relevant skill involves not just how to record something well, but how to evaluate the market and continually develop valuable services around it.
This is actually a much better version of what I was trying to say.
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I echo his dismissive attitude toward all the cheap "dollar-store" technology
If you're going to make an unfounded statement like that, let's hear you back it up. Just what exactly is wrong with what you call "cheap 'dollar-store' technology"? Granted the mics aren't Schoepses, but I'm interested in hearing your detailed technical evaluation of it.
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Specs are out for the H6 at American Musical Supply's website, as well as various images that even the Zoom Japan website is not showing and or sharing:

H6 Images and Specifications
📝 Reply