The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom H6 Announced
Old 23rd May 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thats only 8 cables extra for the 4 input channels. And if you consider the Y cables as cables, it's only 4 more. I probably take for granted my inventory or have gotten used to jobs requiring 20-40 XLR cables. 4 channels of splits is like a day off
Old 24th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
The phantom power switch is a deal breaker
When you disarm a channel by pressing the track button, the little red light goes off and the phantom power stops.
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I am not ragging on you, but the drum is way too loud for me....

But it is really good, these things excepted, so keep on doing it!
I agree. Fantastic mix. The snare drum sound throws the whole thing off imho though, it was way out of place & jarring in an otherwise dreamscape of a song.

If I was running this session I would have just had the drummer play lights fills on the cymbals, no snare, given the room & gear... great job though, really awesome!

cool how the camera zooms out to reveal the band too, good effect.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
KEL, dave desain has a great voice … did anyone ask what Lav's you used ? I hear a little Lip Smack but subtle and probably accentuated by the YoutUbe BS .. nice work cheers john
Old 6th June 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Despain has a Huge voice. Those are the out takes from the show. I found the audio on the H6 better than the C300 canon audio. I mixed the whole show then whatever did not make the telecast went to youtube. I have no idea what was done on those after me!

By now I've done over 25 shows. Most are now on a Roland R88 or Sound devices 744. dpa 4061 mics and Hidden Rode Pinmics for backup.
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My new (rebooted) 3-piece band project just had its first gig. I used the Zoom H6 to record it and created a video of one song. The music is original instrumental in a surf/rock style.

The six inputs included:
  • Bass - Radial JDV DI
    Guitar - Shure SM57
    Snare - Shure SM57
    Kick - Sennheiser MD421
    Drum Kit Overhead - Audio-Technica AT825 stereo mic

WAV files were processed in the Presonus Studio One DAW.

Four video cameras were mounted around the band; I edited the feeds with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 and synchronized with the processed WAV file.

"Surfer Roasta" performed by The Stormy Weathermen - YouTube

Band website at: http://TheStormyWeathermen.com
Old 18th June 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
right on! you finally did it Ukiah. looks like a fun gig.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the Zoom H6's LINE OUT mini jack.

I've got an "unplugged" acoustic gig coming up with a twist. We'll be staged outside a restaurant playing to the patio: me on bass (lightly amped), an acoustic guitar and a Cajon. I want to mic everything up and send the signal inside the restaurant into a mini PA so those eaters/drinkers can hear the music in their enclosed, air conditioned room.

I plan to take a DI signal from my bass, the acoustic guitar's signal from a pickup, and a condenser mic on the Cajon all into the Zoom H6 to record the event. I'd like to use the Zoom's LINE OUT to feed that mixed signal into a mini-mixer and then forward that inside the restaurant to the PA. Could that work? Is the Zoom H6's LINE OUT mini jack a nice clean, loud signal? I've never used it and don't want to get my hopes up, but it seems like a simple solution if it could work.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've used the line out to feed the mic input on my Lumix GH3. It worked very well. There's a software pad (adjustable output level) that was added with the firmware update.

Fran
Old 15th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I've used the line out to feed the mic input on my Lumix GH3. It worked very well. There's a software pad (adjustable output level) that was added with the firmware update.

Fran
Ah thanks. I didn't know about that. I just checked and noticed it starts at 0dB, then pads in 5dB increments. Do you have advice on where to set the pad if the signal is going into a mixer? Normally I set the record levels at about -10 to -12dB. Basically I'd be sending the signal while it's recording onward to the mixer and from there into a PA inside the restaurant. Volume inside the restaurant will be independently manipulated from that PA amp.
Old 15th August 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have used that line out before, into a headphone amp. it's stereo. You could go 1/8" into 1/4" TS cable into a direct box, then mic cable to the inside PA
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
I have used that line out before, into a headphone amp. it's stereo. You could go 1/8" into 1/4" TS cable into a direct box, then mic cable to the inside PA
Ha ha, I'm being disingenuous by calling the inside device a "PA." It's actually my backup TecAmp Puma 900 and a Greenboy Fearless 110 cab pole mounted. A "poor man's PA" is what it is! I'll take the audio feed from the Mackie mini-mixer into the Puma's instrument jack. Don't have an extra DI so this will have to do. I will post the results, however. It's our first "unplugged" gig and the restaurant isn't paying much. But it could turn into a regular gig. For now I'm using the gear I already own. We'll discuss spending more money on new gear after that happens!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
Ha ha, I'm being disingenuous by calling the inside device a "PA." It's actually my backup TecAmp Puma 900 and a Greenboy Fearless 110 cab pole mounted. A "poor man's PA" is what it is! I'll take the audio feed from the Mackie mini-mixer into the Puma's instrument jack. Don't have an extra DI so this will have to do. I will post the results, however. It's our first "unplugged" gig and the restaurant isn't paying much. But it could turn into a regular gig. For now I'm using the gear I already own. We'll discuss spending more money on new gear after that happens!
If the PA system inside is just a single speaker in mono, you will have to access the monitor mixer in the H6, and pan all the channels to the centre.

If you're feeding the Mackie mixer via line in, 0 db output should be fine, if your feeding into a mic channel, then you need to drop the line output to -25/30 db.

John.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ah thanks. I didn't know about that. I just checked and noticed it starts at 0dB, then pads in 5dB increments. Do you have advice on where to set the pad if the signal is going into a mixer? Normally I set the record levels at about -10 to -12dB. Basically I'd be sending the signal while it's recording onward to the mixer and from there into a PA inside the restaurant. Volume inside the restaurant will be independently manipulated from that PA amp.
+1 to JohnMack's recipe. But since you have all the gear at hand how about a test before hand?

Fran
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
+1 to JohnMack's recipe. But since you have all the gear at hand how about a test before hand?

Fran
Definitely! The band will have a practice session in about a week or so where I'll test these ideas first. I just ordered a Shure Beta91a half cardiod condenser mic to be placed inside the Cajon. That will cut out all the ambient street noise and provide an optimal signal for that instrument. Also nice to dispense with dragging a mic stand to the gig - especially since the percussionist likes to move that box around!

Ordinarily I might be shy about using the H6 as the "pivot point" for relaying the signal on to the mixer and pseudo PA. But the comments here about the LINE OUT jack give me confidence. So does the quality of the H6's preamps. Nice that this piece of gear is so versatile! (at least I hope so!)
Old 16th August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry if this has been covered - I did read the last 4 pages: when used as an audio interface does it get power from the USB like my H2, or will it require batteries/AC?
Old 17th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Engel View Post
when used as an audio interface does it get power from the USB like my H2, or will it require batteries/AC?
It gets power from the USB. You can even start recording on batteries, connect to USB, put fresh batteries in and disconnect USB without a glitch in the recording.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Today I tested a bunch of configurations. As it turns out, using the H6's line out jack will not work. What I've ended up doing is using Y splitter cables at the mixer to send direct feeds into the Zoom H6. Using the Zoom's line out into the mixer created too much noise in the Puma/F110 "PA system." Also, I send a single line from the left main out into the Puma's effects in jack - that creates a nice, pure, almost noiseless signal through the 3-way F110 cab that will be inside the restaurant. Going through the Puma's instrument jack/preamp colored the sound too much, and I want the mix of acoustic guitar, Cajon, and acoustic bass to sound uncolored. There is more volume inside than I need so the rig is perfectly sized for the venue. So it's all coming together. Here are the inputs:

Acoustic bass --> micing the Crazy8 cab with an AKG Perception 400 large diaphragm mic. Ordinarily I'd use my Radial JDV Active Direct Box but that will be used by the acoustic guitar because the passive pickup on that instrument doesn't generate enough signal for my passive Radial JDI. Plus I want to mic this cab for a performance mix to show what it can do for bassists who are interested in that cab's technology. My Rob Allen Deep 4 fretless is sounding like an upright bass through that cab -- huge tone ... nice!

Acoustic guitar --> Radial JDV Active Direct Box

Cajon --> placing a Shure Beta91a inside the Cajon. Tomorrow the percussionist and I will run a series of tests to determine the best internal location for the mic.

Edit: here is the result of the Cajon recorded through the H6. I placed the Beta91a on the inside bottom of the Cajon, facing the front and on top of a folded dish towel. Applied compression of 2.2 and low cut of 75Hz.

The H6, of course, will have direct feeds for all three signals to enable granular post processing.

Last edited by Ukiah Bass; 24th August 2014 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Added Cajon mic recording
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
We all hate it when gear fails. After that initial Cajon test on Sunday, wanted to record our practice session but when I went to power the H6 back on, it wouldn't boot up. Saw the spash but it instantly went to black. Hate it when that happens! So Monday morning I wrote to my customer service rep at Sweetwater (Bob Mondok) where I purchased the unit. I'm a bit under the gun here as we have a critical recording session this Saturday and a gig / video session to record next week. I explained the situation and Bob took over. Today a new unit arrived via Fedex overnight. No questions asked. Wow! So now you know where to buy your music gear!

FYI, I bought the original H6 when they first came out in Sept. 2013. It was serial # 1939. The replacement unit is #46,039 so it sounds like Zoom is selling a few of these.
Old 27th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
We all hate it when gear fails. After that initial Cajon test on Sunday, wanted to record our practice session but when I went to power the H6 back on, it wouldn't boot up. Saw the spash but it instantly went to black. Hate it when that happens! So Monday morning I wrote to my customer service rep at Sweetwater (Bob Mondok) where I purchased the unit. I'm a bit under the gun here as we have a critical recording session this Saturday and a gig / video session to record next week. I explained the situation and Bob took over. Today a new unit arrived via Fedex overnight. No questions asked. Wow! So now you know where to buy your music gear!

FYI, I bought the original H6 when they first came out in Sept. 2013. It was serial # 1939. The replacement unit is #46,039 so it sounds like Zoom is selling a few of these.
I am glad you got a swift replacement. And I am sure the H6 is a handy machine. But it failed at a critical juncture which is why I would not trust it for anything I needed to be recorded. Fun stuff, yes. Critical stuff, no. And, if your experience is typical a lot of those serial numbers were for replacement machines. Sooner or later you will have to bite the bullet and get a real recorder. If you are lucky you will not have bought too many flaky recorders before you do. Get a good one and no more nervous rides to the session.
Old 20th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I am glad you got a swift replacement. And I am sure the H6 is a handy machine. But it failed at a critical juncture which is why I would not trust it for anything I needed to be recorded. Fun stuff, yes. Critical stuff, no. And, if your experience is typical a lot of those serial numbers were for replacement machines. Sooner or later you will have to bite the bullet and get a real recorder. If you are lucky you will not have bought too many flaky recorders before you do. Get a good one and no more nervous rides to the session.
I guess it's just right that I quote boojum now... I got my H6 used (almost new, though) and I have used it 3 times since... Now the menu button won't work :-(
Anyone there has had this problem? Any suggestions? When I put the "hold" button on and press menu, it won't tell me "hold is on" like it does with all the other buttons.

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply