The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Polyhymnia at the Berliner Philharmonie
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
The article is rather confusing in this respect.... I can't figure out if its the 5 mic array rebalanced and folded down to stereo, or if its the extra pair of MK2S that they said the radio people had put up for their stereo pickup.

Anyone have any idea for sure?
Obviously there is only one person who can tell you for sure, but a quick listen to the stereo and surround versions will tell right away. The MK3 is possibly the brightest microphone ever made and will have a marked character difference from Polymymnia's modded KM130's.
To be honest, I think the answer to your question is in the question....The radio had their main set and the recording had their own. Double hanging is the norm rather than the exception in these situations.
All the best,
-mark
Old 18th April 2013
The article says "mk3S", which I think might be a typo, and they meant to say mk2s, the more common main mic.... Not sure though.
Old 20th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
The article says "mk3S", which I think might be a typo, and they meant to say mk2s, the more common main mic.... Not sure though.
Hi,

I am quite sure this is not a typo - the Philips Classics team were very early already removing grids from Schoeps microphones, and in the analogue recording time they used grid-free MK3 (=MK3S) to make sure that after all analogue copy stages the production Master would still sound good.

Best,
Dirk
Old 20th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
Hi,

I am quite sure this is not a typo - the Philips Classics team were very early already removing grids from Schoeps microphones, and in the analogue recording time they used grid-free MK3 (=MK3S) to make sure that after all analogue copy stages the production Master would still sound good.

Best,
Dirk
Very cool, thanks for the info!
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Perhaps it's not too surprising to see a dozen or two mics for an orchestral recording. But I routinely see at least half a dozen mics for string quartets. Are string quartets that difficult to record with just a main pair?
Well, that is a very interesting remark. A string trio with just a main pair, fine.
But many string quartets actually want to be seated in a semi-circle. Which means:

a. either the main pair is ridiculously close and equidistant
b. or the main pair is in the center, but high which amounts to different problems (thin strings or tin strings)
c. the second violin and alto are too distant sounding if the main pair is lower and further away.
unless d. the main pair is beyond the critical distance and everything sounds too far off the main pair.

this leaves us with e. the need of some kind of spot to pull the two middle strings closer or
f. re-arrange the seating of the string quartet. Which is fine if they are open to the suggestion.

And then they can still have balance problems, maybe not in Haydn, but surely in contemporary music ?

But, ideally I would try to record a string quartet with the main mic only.
So again, if it is a really important session, why NOT put extra mics up for safety ?

IMO the biggest mistake is basing the entire soundcheck on the spots. Much alike soundchecking SACD productions in surround only. Which can give under par stereo versions which 99% of the public will listen to...
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Well, that is a very interesting remark. A string trio with just a main pair, fine.
But many string quartets actually want to be seated in a semi-circle. Which means:

a. either the main pair is ridiculously close and equidistant
b. or the main pair is in the center, but high which amounts to different problems (thin strings or tin strings)
c. the second violin and alto are too distant sounding if the main pair is lower and further away.
unless d. the main pair is beyond the critical distance and everything sounds too far off the main pair.

this leaves us with e. the need of some kind of spot to pull the two middle strings closer or
f. re-arrange the seating of the string quartet. Which is fine if they are open to the suggestion.

And then they can still have balance problems, maybe not in Haydn, but surely in contemporary music ?

So again, if it is a really important session, why NOT put extra mics up for safety ?

IMO the biggest mistake is basing the entire soundcheck on the spots. Much alike soundchecking SACD productions in surround only. Which can give under par stereo versions which 99% of the public will listen to...
Precisely, also account for the height difference between cello and violin and you often have no option but to spot.

An even bigger problem is a nonette in a full semi circle, very difficult to get the front and back to sound right without spots IMO.
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
True. But the extra mics get in the way of a video recording.

Now, if spots are a must for string quartets, does that mean what people hear in a concert is mostly a compromise?
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

True, but a video recording is entirely different. One could argue NOT using spots is pointless in a video recording, as the image is close, so the sound needs to be close as well ...

IMO a recording is not a live concert is not a recording etc.
A recording is as compromised as a live concert, only in a different way.

I know a lot of contemporary music that does not make sense on a recording.
But I have had more musical epiphanies when listening to recorded music than live.

Anyway, a string quartet will often sound more balanced in the hall than where one would typically put a main mic. Even if the balance in the main mic is great, I still often find the distance to each instrument unequal.
Old 4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know if any responsible for the following recording are contributing to the discussion in this thread.
Beethoven, Symphony 9/4/1 (D minor Op 125) 'Choral' - YouTube

But if you are then my utmost respect for your mad skillz. This is a truly stunning recording. I have bought the blu-ray DVD of it, after seeing it on UTube.

And I'd like to thank Mr Dinu Lipatti for posting it.
Old 5th July 2013
Question

Is the Blu-Ray less mono?
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Is the Blu-Ray less mono?
Yeah, don't worry about that, just check out the Blu-Ray.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
It is unclear if custom mic electronics are running on 48 volt phantom or at higher voltage.
The microphone electronics needed to work on standard 48V phantom, be interference-proof, and be easily modified to work with many different microphone models.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear