The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How long have you been mixing ITB?
Old 2 weeks ago
I started recording 2 track with a SPS422 Soundfield in 2004 which I edited in PT 6.4. Later I bought a Korg MR1000, and dreamed of a sonosax sx-st desk. I had the ocassion to buy one of these for 3000euro, but it was not perfect condition. As I had no condenser mikes to check it out (only a SM 58 and the SF) and I had no clue how to check if the desk was ok or not.... Nowdays I record& mix multitrack dav bg8 recordings in sequoia 13 (with the mouse). I have a tascam 24 ch mixing desk, and when I listen to a mix directly connected to the speakers, I prefer it over a ITB mix because of the easiness to EQ and work with faders, so I get a nicer mix in lesser time. However when I convert the stereo output from the desk to digital, this nice sound seems to be gone when I listen on the same speakers to digital. (even with weiss adc that I borrowed).
Maybe it is the quality of the da of my rme ufx? I don't know.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a Sadie LRX, but everytime I go out to make a recording I find I leave it at home and take the analogue mixer with mic preamps and record straight to stereo. I guess one day I might even possibly record to the Sadie LRX in stereo!!!

Can't seem to shake off the idea of being able to hear the finished balance while I'm recording it. Move, or angle the odd mic etc. If I did a lot of live work, which I don't, I would record on the Sadie and make adjustments later.

Luddite signing off for now!

(I don't know if the word Luddite travels outside of the UK).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can Sadie LRX not make mix on the fly for monitoring while you record?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yes it can.

I'm just so happy with analogue mixing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Yes it can.

I'm just so happy with analogue mixing.
Hi Geoff,

Have you thought of trying a control surface?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hi David,

You mean something like the Audient range of interfaces and mic amps I guess.

I really ought to take the Sadie LRX out on jobs I suppose. With its 16 mic pre inputs and digital inputs too it's well equipped and took me quite some time to assemble the slithers it now has, but I do enjoy working with an analogue mixer.

The Neve 8816 Summing Mixer and faders always look tempting to me.

What do you use Dave as your main set up?

I hope you're not suffering directly with smoke from the bush & forest fires down there. I see that there have also been some arsonists at work helping the problem develop. Don't like to see Australia suffering like it is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Here's a new control surface by Avid, from the combat zone of the steamy jungles of NAMM: https://www.audiotechnology.com/by-b...o-home-studios

Price is not too formidable and looks portable enough ( with tablet display ) for remote use
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi David,

You mean something like the Audient range of interfaces and mic amps I guess.
No, I meant a mixer with faders type control surface that talks to Sadie.
But I see that this might be difficult ...
SADiE Control Surface

Quote:
I really ought to take the Sadie LRX out on jobs I suppose.
Yes, that's a control surface with its little mixer and faders.

Quote:
What do you use Dave as your main set up?
I use Pyramix and a laptop for most recording. I tend not to mix during data acquisition, past making sure the mix will work. I love the mixer in Pyramix, but I use it with the mouse and keyboard.

Quote:
I hope you're not suffering directly with smoke from the bush & forest fires down there. I see that there have also been some arsonists at work helping the problem develop. Don't like to see Australia suffering like it is.
We in Brisbane are the lucky ones, down south, the devastation has been apocalyptic, particularly for our unique flora and fauna. The arson fake news seems to be being spread by bots and social media. If one reads the RFS reports and the data correctly, its a different story.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 1 week ago at 02:47 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
(...) The arson fake news seems to be being spread by bots and social media. If one reads the RFS reports and the data correctly, its a different story.
glad you mentioned this! the more serious newspapers in the old world were sceptical on initial (fake) reports...

a friend of mine in coober pedy wrote in an email: "nothing to burn here, but the sun does...."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
glad you mentioned this! the more serious newspapers in the old world were sceptical on initial (fake) reports...

a friend of mine in coober pedy wrote in an email: "nothing to burn here, but the sun does...."
Fake news re arsonists in Aust lets the media climate change denialists ply their increasingly futile 'business as usual' campaign a little longer....and most Coober Pedy residents live underground in homes blasted out by dynamite ( cheap way to get a new room !) at a constant 22 degrees C all year, while on the surface in summer it's near 50 C

BTW, here's what's in the air I'm breathing now (southern Australia) : https://indaily.com.au/news/analysis...ralian-cities/

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 05:13 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

25 years
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
We in Brisbane are the lucky ones, down south, the devastation has been apocalyptic, particularly for our unique flora and fauna. The arson fake news seems to be being spread by bots and social media. If one reads the RFS reports and the data correctly, its a different story.
Let's not forget that the dinosaur media also played along on that one, but even there the wheels are rotating inexorably towards a new order: https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/01/...climate-facts/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
(...) BTW, here's what's in the air I'm breathing now (southern Australia) : https://indaily.com.au/news/analysis...ralian-cities/
autsch! - hope you (and other folks) got a place to hide/where you can flee (and keep your mics save)...?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
autsch! - hope you (and other folks) got a place to hide/where you can flee (and keep your mics save)...?!
Stay inside, wear a Beijing type face-mask when outdoors.... and only use SM57 and 58 (or Rycote zeppelins) for outdoor gigs, until the fires go out in a few months time I'm also extremely thankful that I don't have asthma and/or an outdoor job...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fake news re arsonists in Aust lets the media climate change denialists ply their increasingly futile 'business as usual' campaign a little longer....and most Coober Pedy residents live underground in homes blasted out by dynamite ( cheap way to get a new room !) at a constant 22 degrees C all year, while on the surface in summer it's near 50 C

BTW, here's what's in the air I'm breathing now (southern Australia) : https://indaily.com.au/news/analysis...ralian-cities/
Ah! I didn't know that you were Australian, in my mind I had you in America.

During WW2 my dad was in Burma (after Tobruk & El Alamein, Yugoslavia and NE India) - all travel paid for by the state!! He was separated from British forces in Burma and joined forces with Australian forces, spending much of his time with them during the Burma campaign. The family might have moved there when I was a baby when the "special offer" was made to Brits for cheap travel and Australian citizenship, but my mother didn't want to leave her family in the UK. I grew up with a great respect for Austrlalians - "learned at your father's knee" so to speak! I might now have been cheering for the other side at cricket!

Thanks for Avid information, I find that I'm always one step behind developments in audio, but I take solace in the quality of some of the recordings made during the late 50s, the 60s, 70s and 80s, to say nothing of the Mercury recordings!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 02:24 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I use Pyramix and a laptop for most recording. I tend not to mix during data acquisition, past making sure the mix will work. I love the mixer in Pyramix, but I use it with the mouse and keyboard.

When I bought the Sadie LRX it had been in use for voice overs by a studio in Soho. They had used it both as a recorder and editing machine instead of computer based Sadie. It didn't have mic/line inputs, and only used digital ins and outs. I was fortunate in finding slithers from a gentleman in the U.S., and then getting everything up and running was a very tricky operation (for me), but I managed it. I'm not sure I can remember how I did it now. One of the main problems was with drivers.

Re the bush fires, we had reports in the UK that there had been 200 arrests of suspects for arson!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
During WW2 my dad was in Burma (after Tobruk & El Alamein, Yugoslavia and Imphal NE India) - all travel paid for by the state!! He was separated from British forces in Burma and joined forces with Australian forces, spending much of his time with them during the Burma campaign.
For historical interest of that period you might enjoy this series of talks: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...-war/episodes/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I bought the Sadie LRX it had been in use for voice overs by a studio in Soho. They had used it both as a recorder and editing machine instead of computer based Sadie. It didn't have mic/line inputs, and only used digital ins and outs. I was fortunate in finding slithers from a gentleman in the U.S., and then getting everything up and running was a very tricky operation (for me), but I managed it. I'm not sure I can remember how I did it now. One of the main problems was with drivers.

Re the bush fires, we had reports in the UK that there had been 200 arrests of suspects for arson!
After my nearly 2 decade experience with Sadie I would not be comfortable trying to use it as a live music recording system with its current software.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
A vast and insidious secret conspiracy involving hundreds of people. Sounds like Murdoch Mews to me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
A vast and insidious secret conspiracy involving hundreds of people. [. . .]
We are still talking about mixing ITB, right?

Oh, wait a minute. . .

'Nevermind' [Emily Litella / Rosanna Rosannadanna, Weekend Update]
Old 1 week ago
You’re right, I’m sorry.

Ive been mixing ITB since the Bush administration was actively denying that climate change was real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
We are still talking about mixing ITB, right?

Oh, wait a minute. . .

'Nevermind' [Rosanna Rosanna Danna, Weekend Update]
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Fake news re arsonists in Aust lets the media climate change denialists ply their increasingly futile 'business as usual' campaign a little longer
Arsonists have been setting huge brush fires here in California since the 1950's when the population exploded here. I remember in the 1960's that every time the news people would announce a Santa Ana wind condition it was a notice to all the arsonists here.

"Gentlemen, please start your fires" was the result.

Lately the major fires here in California have been caused by decrepit utility infrastructure as winds cause power lines to fail and untrimmed growth creates the fuels to burn. The lawsuits and damages have been passed onto the rate payers here as we have some of the highest electricity rates in the nation. Those that don't like this have voted with their feet and have abandoned California.

There are no plans to fix this here. More fires/damage and deaths will be the result. Don't let California happen to Australia.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

There was footage from Greece showing arsonists (who were not Greek) setting fires as they walked along, and laughing as they did it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
A vast and insidious secret conspiracy involving hundreds of people. Sounds like Murdoch Mews to me.

After this brief intermission, normal service is now restored and we return you to the subject of audio recording!!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 12:19 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
After my nearly 2 decade experience with Sadie I would not be comfortable trying to use it as a live music recording system with its current software.
I do agree with you, as wonderful as Sadie editing software is, and I don't think there's much doubt about that, it certainly does some unpredictable things at times.
I don't record many live events, but for those I have done I have use a small mixer, and record to stereo.

If I did record live lots of live events though, I would use something that recorded separate channels, and gave me a chance to readust afterwards if needs be, but recording sessions, particularly if there has been a rehearsal beforehand, down to stereo is perfect.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 07:10 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search