The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Time taken to edit classical CD?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I don't know what people tolerate, but I know that I prefer vividness over perfection, and I have many albums that I love listening to that aren't perfect. How about Tchaikovsky's 4th by Mravinsky and his Leningrad forces back from around 1960 with its wild intensity. Or that grand (and popular) full-bodied and emotional shaky version of Mahlers Fifth by Barbirolli and New Philharmonia from 69. In my view they have a musical liveliness that makes them a wonderful listening experience. I'm not aware of how many edits they did in those recordings, but I'm pretty certain they would become much more polished and boring albums if they were produced by today's 'standards'. It's interesting and understandable that old recordings are still so loved by many.
I agree totally. But I am not the conductor or even the producer, I am only the engineer.
--scott
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
.... The only way to control this, and therewith shaping the musical quality of the edit, is by charging a rate that is being increased by the amount of work done.

Dirk
Hi Dirk

Great Idea - one should charge exponentially pr. cut made, the first 10 are free. Maybe not doable in practice (the performer might hire another one for the job) but an interesting thought...

::
Mads
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Old Heifetz recordings were, for practical purpose, non-editing, one shot deal. However, when tape recording came around and editing became possible, his recordings were full of splices everywhere. Due to the infancy of then editing capability and knew how, a lot of his splices are clearly audible by today’s ears. This phenomenon apply to many recording artists who had long recording career span that covered acetate to modern digital recording, such as Horowitz, Rubinstein, Von Karajan, etc. Do you mean to tell me their later recordings were inferior and boring as result? Not at all to my ears.

A boring sounding recording with lots and lots of edits would have sounded boring from get go, even without any edits. It is the fault of the boring musicians. A beautiful movie start will never get in front of the camera without a great makeup artist working the magic before the shoot. By the same token, a pig will always look like a pig, no matter how much makeup you throw on.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
I agree totally. But I am not the conductor or even the producer, I am only the engineer.
--scott
Just debate it with the artist, the conducter, the producer - make yourself heard

::
Mads
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear