The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinway D or B for Beethoven Sonatas
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
It is almost as bad as having to convince clients to keep the piano on the full stick, as they don't realize short stick actually makes it louder in the forward plane.
Agreed...it tends to quack like a duck and distort the full-stick frequency spectrum. It's also a lazy, knee-jerk response to a perceived need to reduce volume (such as when accompanied by a singer) and demeans and underestimates the ability of the competent pianist to vary their attack and percussive style to adjust to the needs of the performance...
Old 27th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Agreed...it tends to quack like a duck and distort the full-stick frequency spectrum. It's also a lazy, knee-jerk response to a perceived need to reduce volume (such as when accompanied by a singer) and demeans and underestimates the ability of the competent pianist to vary their attack and percussive style to adjust to the needs of the performance...
Hmm... Speaking as a competent pianist, I feel like there's a lot of over-generalized hate going on in this thread about the half-stick. Is it the ideal tonal choice? Of course not, but the half-stick can be very useful in certain situations such as that I already described. You just have to use it properly.

I am certainly capable of adjusting my articulation to the needs of a performance, but sometimes you're limited by other factors, especially when the piano and/or the acoustic are not ideal, and the half-stick has been a real problem-solver for me more times than I can count.

For example, I will sometimes use half-stick when accompanying singers, not to reduce volume, but when the piano / acoustic needs more forward treble projection to compensate. Full stick, even with a sensitive pianist, can sometimes overbalance a solo vocalist, especially young singers with less-than-operatic projection.

Admittedly, I would probably feel a bit differently if a recording engineer came over and adjusted the lid without speaking to me about it first. In my experience as a performer, I'm always the one who makes those adjustments.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear