The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microtech Gefell M930 Love
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sony C100 is not bright. It has a very natural freq. response and is useable as a universal studio mic.

Gefell has a presence boost and it is a brighter mic than the Sony as we can hear in this demo.

However, in use, the Gefell is not heard as a bright mic but as a mic with cutting power in a mix. It is an M7 capsule which is still very natural sounding.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was going to say after hearing that clip... it sounds to me like they're just a couple of very good-sounding mics. I doubt either of them was EQ'd to match the other, particularly like it seems to be a pretty competently-done shootout, and that would completely defeat the purpose.

Seems like both of those mics sound great. They do sound pretty close in that video, and I like how they both sound.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I love my m930. What other mics compliment the m930 well? Or asked another way: what are the weak points of the m930?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
I love my m930. What other mics compliment the m930 well? Or asked another way: what are the weak points of the m930?
In this post, Earcatcher pointed to one possible weak point in terms of the high-frequency bump: Microtech Gefell M930 Love

I think of the m930 as a versatile mic that will sound great in most situations (which was essentially how Hugh Robjohns described it in his Sound on Sound review), but if you are looking for the absolute optimal solution there could be better choices for any specific situation. The post I linked to above is a good example: the m950 seems like a more optimal choice for guitar and I'm planning to get one for that reason (I record a lot of guitar). I love the way my guitar sounds recorded with the m930, but if the 950 brings out the mid-lows in a different way and is easier to EQ, I may love that even more.

I do think it's important to spend time experimenting with different mic placements, though, because you can jump to the wrong conclusion if you just try a couple of distance and height positions and aren't happy with the results. That applies to any mic, really, but I'm finding it especially true with the m930. As Hugh Robjohns wrote: "Careful positioning is the key, as always, and while the proximity effect is quite pronounced when working close to sources it can be controlled predictably with small changes in distance. Although the polar pattern is impressively consistent with frequency for a large-diaphragm mic, it still shows the inevitable high-frequency narrowing which can be so helpful in taming the HF response through small changes of incident angle."

Last edited by bradh; 29th November 2020 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Added Hugh Robjohns quote at end.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Sony C100 is not bright. It has a very natural freq. response and is useable as a universal studio mic.

Gefell has a presence boost and it is a brighter mic than the Sony as we can hear in this demo.

However, in use, the Gefell is not heard as a bright mic but as a mic with cutting power in a mix. It is an M7 capsule which is still very natural sounding.
Absolutely.

And it might inform the debate that the 930T is an incarnation of this mic that puts it into another class and subsection of mics. I would not necessarily use the 930T as a spot mic unless I was after a definite sound.

However, as a stereo pair for piano, or guitar, as a main pair for ensemble work, it is formidable. Which is one of the reasons why it is an awarded and greatly appreciated microphone.

H

Last edited by Haigbabe; 29th November 2020 at 10:54 PM..
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just had a session yesterday recording classical flute where we put up, in addition to a spaced pair of omni CMC65's, a UMT70S, U-87, M930 and one of my Stephen Sank-modded M160's as relatively close mics. Unfortunately, all the close mics sounded really good, so it's going to be tough to pick one. But in this case, the UMT70S is probably least desirable, not because it sounded bright or harsh at all, but because it doesn't emphasize body in the way the other three did. The M930 was stellar, sounding by far the most natural, full in the low mids and with just a hint of sheen to capture the air. The U-87 was warm and fuzzy, while the M160/77DX, with its hyper pickup pattern, sounded super intimate and warm. If she's okay with it, I'll try to post some excerpts later.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd love to hear those clips, Sean! Please do post if the artist is OK with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
Absolutely.

And it might inform the debate that the 930T is an incarnation of this mic that puts it into another class and subsection of mics. I would not necessarily use the 930T as a spot mic unless I was after a definite sound.

However, as a stereo pair for piano, or guitar, as a main pair for ensemble work, it is formidable. Which is one of the reasons why it is an awarded and greatly appreciated microphone. As has been said, the M7 is at the heart.

H
Just to avoid confusion: the M930(T), M940 and M950 DO NOT have an M7 capsule. It is a newer design (different dimensions) with Mylar membranes, instead of PVC.

The also mentioned in this thread UMT70S does indeed have a genuine M7 capsule.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Just to avoid confusion: the M930(T), M940 and M950 DO NOT have an M7 capsule. It is a newer design (different dimensions) with Mylar membranes, instead of PVC.

The also mentioned in this thread UMT70S does indeed have a genuine M7 capsule.
Thanks for picking that up Earcatcher. (My bad for copying and pasting on an iPad late at night!).

If I remember correctly, the 930 capsule is mid-size, neither small nor large, is that correct?

H
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
According to Recording-Hacks, the M930 capsule is 32 mm, or 1.25", total diameter. The diaphragm itself is reportedly 28mm, or 1.1". If those are accurate, they definitely qualify as full-size large-diaphragm capsules!

Klaus Heyne has written in the past that he regards the M930 capsule as the best thing MG makes at the moment. That's some serious praise, and would imply that the 930 capsule is one of the best capsules being made on earth today... honestly that's a big part of what makes me want to get one. They seem pretty universally-loved, especially for recording instruments, which is the vast majority of what I do.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

IMHO beautiful on voices too. FWIW as I may have mentioned before... I would have sprung for the Transformer model, if I were to have bought the M930.
Olde Skool rulez! Kinda kidding there, but I dig Transformers usually-given a choice.

Like "hands down" a M7 style capsule on my voice, vs. a K47. Unless doing BGV's in an AC/DC Tribute Band!
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
Klaus Heyne has written in the past that he regards the M930 capsule as the best thing MG makes at the moment. That's some serious praise, and would imply that the 930 capsule is one of the best capsules being made on earth today... honestly that's a big part of what makes me want to get one. They seem pretty universally-loved, especially for recording instruments, which is the vast majority of what I do.
They caught my attention with the sound of a string section in a local orchestra when used as the only pair, no spots, recorded to an older Sound Devices unit using the built in mic pres. Luscious. Not my recording, but an amateur's—one of the flutists in the orchestra.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

I thought it was supposed to be like the c800 which is bright but I just heard a shootout between the c100 and c800 and the c800 is much brighter
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
"It's in the trees! It's coming!"

One stereo pair on its way from Germany.

Now, some day, I'll get to record something with them. Sigh!

D.
Just ordered my Umt70s from vintage king. I'll make my own samples
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great (and timely) thread for me. Something to be said for a thread going on this long. I have just about settled on picking up an M930. Application would be for acoustic instruments and some voice duties.

At present my go-to set up for acoustic guitar (producing good results) in M/S configuration is an M300 dead on and a vintage 414EB handling the sides. My immediate application would be to substitute the M930 for the 300 in this scenario.

I too am wondering about the M930/M930TS as I would like some more "substance", especially if the guitar is stand-alone. Would one hear in the TS a noticeable difference? Another option would be to select a mic pre with transformer impact, but I have a feeling the TS would be the perfect compliment right out of the box.

Perhaps said differently, would a standard 930 leave me wanting? Also, Gefell offers a rather pricey optional shock mount. Essential, or could I get away with the standard or 3rd party mount?

Cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 5th December 2020 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: add
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Also, Gefell offers a rather pricey optional shock mount. Essential, or could I get away with the standard or 3rd party mount?
When I bought my UMT70S, I took James Lehmann's advice and got a Rycote InVision USM shockmount kit with the attached pop filter.

Much cheaper than the Gefell shockmount, and still a very fine one. The attached pop filter is incredibly useful, and far less cumbersome than a regular one you attach to your mic stand.

I highly recommend it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The vast majority of the time I find the M930's included (non-shock) mount to be fine, but I also bought a Rycote USM to ward against heavy foot tappers or singers who jump up and down. For my UMT70s's I find the Avantone SSM a perfect fit. Cheap and good—a rare combination.
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Please note: the most comfortable and highly effective universal shock mount for both M930/40/50/60 and UMT70S (and many more microphones) is the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please note: the most comfortable and highly effective universal shock mount for both M930/40/50/60 and UMT70S (and many more microphones) is the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII.
Are you sure? That looks like a shock mount for sdc front-addressed mics. The one I use for the m930 is the Rycote InVision USM-L Studio Kit 045003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Rycote INV 7HG MKIII is a perfect mount for either mic. I use them for my UM70S pair and although I will have two ULM (not ULM-L. Too stiff) for my M930 pair, I think I will end up using Shure donuts or the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII most often for a much lower profile. I am told that the Haken pop filter that is made for the Gefell EH93 suspension will fit on the Shure donut perfectly. I just ordered one from John Willett in the UK.

I don't do much solo vocal but I want to be properly prepared. The Hakan pop screen and the Shure donut should do it.

By the way, I have a Hakan pop filter for one of my UM70S that mounts directly to the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII.

Good combination, sweet sounding mic.

D.
Old 6th December 2020
Gear Head

I just bought an Umt70s and the guy from Vintage King recommended the RYCOTE INVISION INV-7 SUSPENSION MOUNT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
I have just about settled on picking up an M930. Application would be for acoustic instruments and some voice duties. At present my go-to set up for acoustic guitar (producing good results) in M/S configuration is an M300 dead on and a vintage 414EB handling the sides. My immediate application would be to substitute the M930 for the 300 in this scenario.
These are both very good mics so the difference/preference is probably going to come down to a matter of taste and what works best on your instrument with your style of playing, rather than a 'night & day' difference.

After lots of tests including M930, M300, M296, C414 and CM4 – all of which can sound good thru excellent depending on the material/player/instrument – I've come to the conclusion I generally prefer the sound of SDCs on acoustic guitar. (Notwithstanding that I don't generally like generalisations. )

Get the M930 for voice duties for sure, but you may find the M300 SDC is all you want/need as your main acoustic guitar mic(s). I've found in many applications the two mics are surprisingly similar, the most immediate difference being the obviously extended bass response of the M930 which is really very impressive and one reason people like a pair of them for Grand Piano etc. It's a bit more of a 'rounded' sound than the M300 I guess, being an LDC. I tend to feel the M300 works better on percussive sources, acoustic guitar being one of those instruments that sort of sits in between. I think the HF lift in the M300 is a bit more noticeable too, which may be a help or a hinderance depending.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 6th December 2020 at 05:52 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
The Rycote INV 7HG MKIII is a perfect mount for either mic.
D.
Okay, I believe you, it's just that I'm having a hard time figuring out how those mics could be mounted on it: https://mymic.rycote.com/products/in...inv-7hg-mkiii/

I'm probably just being dense about lyres; I didn't think they were designed to bear top-heavy loads across their axes but that was clearly just a bad assumption...if the lyre is stiff enough it can support it!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Are you sure? That looks like a shock mount for sdc front-addressed mics. The one I use for the m930 is the Rycote InVision USM-L Studio Kit 045003
Don't worry, I know what I am talking about as I have all the different lyre shock mounts that Rycote makes and I use them intensively. But let me take a picture for you! You can easily and quickly push the whole mic with cable into the mount with one hand. Utterly practical!
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech Gefell M930 Love-m950_inv7.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
When I bought my UMT70S, I took James Lehmann's advice and got a Rycote InVision USM shockmount kit with the attached pop filter.
Kind of you to call me out there Mike, but someone else deserves the credit for that recommendation as I've never used the Rycote.

I've always used the Gefell donut E-93 mount, but that's because my M930 and my M296 pair shipped with these mounts so I have three in total, which would have been a fearsome price to buy separately.

And I use the Pauly Superscreen pop-shield with my M930.

[EDIT: Forgot Gearslutz can't manage portrait pics - obviously I don't generally do my voice-overs lying down on the floor!]

[EDIT 2: Wait, 'earcatcher'... how did you do that portrait pic - it's witchcraft!]
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech Gefell M930 Love-74909d32-bbcc-4e0e-8212-80829f7245a7.jpg  

Last edited by James Lehmann; 6th December 2020 at 06:28 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't worry, I know what I am talking about as I have all the different lyre shock mounts that Rycote makes and I use them intensively. But let me take a picture for you! You can easily and quickly push the whole mic with cable into the mount with one hand. Utterly practical!
Thanks so much for the photo! It all makes sense now. ;-)

I never doubt your expertise and experience, but wondered in this case if it was a rare slip of the fingers. This looks like a great solution.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
[EDIT 2: Wait, 'earcatcher'... how did you do that portrait pic - it's witchcraft!]
Uhm, like this? I just rotated your picture and saved that position by saving the file.
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech Gefell M930 Love-james_upright.jpg  
Lives for gear

Hey James, I'm just beginning my VO training, just to GET on the Ground Floor!
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks James,
I have had the M300 for years and you know, every time I doubt it, it keeps coming back shining. It easily bested the AT4051, I liked it better than my beloved 414EB (though there is another one I will never part with). I have TEF AR51 for voice, but I am not thrilled about it being the main mic for Acoustic.
You've read my mind in a way, I am indeed looking for a bit more in the low end than I get from the M300, in fact was even looking at the M930TS, for just that reason.
BTW the folks at Gefell are awesome. I bought the mic used I'm going to say 10 years ago. I called the factory and gave them the serial. They came back with all of the historical info on the mic (1994 apparently). An unusual almost old-school company. D'une qualité irreproachable we would say.

Cdlt
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hello everybody.

I bought M930, but it has extraneous noise. I think one of the contacts is broken.
Maybe somebody knows how to open it?

I broke my head. But I can't open it.
I can remove the screw, but it doesn't work.
📝 Reply