The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kudos To One Of Our Own
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Kudos To One Of Our Own

From the December 2012 issue of Stereophile Magazine:

"The series of Half Note albums engineered by Steve Remote at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village may be the best recorded live jazz in existence. Remote not only gets the living night and the moment, he gets the inner detail like the finest studio recordings: Joey Baron's cymbal clicks in free air; Lee Konitz's little preliminary reed squeaks; the shuddering depths of Gary Peacock's bass."

-Thomas Conrad

Outstanding. Congratulations Steve!

Michael

Last edited by justpushplay; 12th November 2012 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Amen to that!
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hats off to Steve! How does he do it, run this board and give so generously of his knowledge?
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Fantastic - as a hobbyist "remoter", THANK YOU for sharing your wealth of knowledge and the recognition is well deserved. Love to cross paths one day....
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I was just getting ready to post that. Great work Steve. Jealous of both your skills and your opportunities

D.
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What kind of surname is Remote?
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
PRH
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman manlord ➡️
Hmm, an eminently suitable one?
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
We don't need no hi-fi men to affirm what we know.

That the Esteemed Steve Remote is kicking azz daily.

Thank you Steve for all that you do.

NIce notice in "Stereophile" magazine.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hear, hear! Especially "hear" his work. Still enjoying the Mingus Big Band CD from the Jazz Standard... which automatically classes me as a dinosaur. Enjoying the CD, that is... not the music, necessarily...

HB
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I thought that was something made up for forum use. Is it the true last name?
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
steve is a kind, humble and knowledgeable gentleman. his "remote possibilities" forum is full of great stories, ideas and tips. you should visit it when you can.
congrats, steve.
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well-done, Steve -- as usual
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nicely done, Steve! Just read that article today myself. Good to see one of the decent guys getting some accolades for a change.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome, congrats!!
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 18th November 2012
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpushplay ➡️
From the December 2012 issue of Stereophile Magazine:

"The series of Half Note albums engineered by Steve Remote at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village may be the best recorded live jazz in existence. Remote not only gets the living night and the moment, he gets the inner detail like the finest studio recordings: Joey Baron's cymbal clicks in free air; Lee Konitz's little preliminary reed squeaks; the shuddering depths of Gary Peacock's bass."

-Thomas Conrad

Outstanding. Congratulations Steve!

Michael
Michael,

I remember reading Stereophile Magazine when I was a kid, thinking cats that get discussed in this magazine must be the best of the best; a position that would have been beyond my reach and an unachievable skill set at the time.

Years later, this far-off, (and what I thought was) impassable and strictly forbidden to folks like myself came my way despite how I may be perceived by others!

In any event, it's truly an awesome shout out and I'm honored by this seriously awesome article, especially when you consider all the fabulous (live performance capture) projects that came out of the Blue Note Jazz Club over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick ➡️

Amen to that!
Thanks so much my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➡️
Oh, yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winedup ➡️
Fantastic - as a hobbyist "remoter", THANK YOU for sharing your wealth of knowledge and the recognition is well deserved. Love to cross paths one day....
As many of you folks know, I hold no secrets when it comes to my craft.
I figured, all the free advice and "close the the vest" secrets I share here doesn't mean anything unless you can apply it with some level of quality.

Perhaps, I'm being a bit selfish about it...

Rather than, holding (my secrets) back, I'd rather give them away, because I believe we need a higher quality mindset when it comes to our craft.

I just hate to listening to all those crappy productions that seem to make it through the cracks;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
I was just getting ready to post that. Great work Steve. Jealous of both your skills and your opportunities

Thank you fellow Remotester!

In this business, we are only as good as our last gig.
It's an honor to be surrounded by such great musicians!
They clearly make the task of getting it captured right super simple and (in the end) make it look and sound like an effortless production venture!

D.
Quote:
Well, Roman -- it's an affectionate and loving kind of surname.

It's also the name of a seriously sympathetic and helpful person that only wants to give back to his community and the location production industry at large.

What say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH ➡️
Hmm, an eminently suitable one?
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
We don't need no hi-fi men to affirm what we know.

That the Esteemed Steve Remote is kicking azz daily.

Thank you Steve for all that you do.

NIce notice in "Stereophile" magazine.
Thank you, sir!

That's very kind of you to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
Hear, hear! Especially "hear" his work. Still enjoying the Mingus Big Band CD from the Jazz Standard... which automatically classes me as a dinosaur. Enjoying the CD, that is... not the music, necessarily...

HB
Awesome!

Some of you folks may already know this, but that Mingus Big Band / Jazz Standard CD that originally was a NPR live broadcast also won a Grammy for Best Jazz Large Ensemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy ➡️
I thought that was something made up for forum use. Is it the true last name?
Actually, it's precisely my last name...

It's also who I am, what I do, where I'm coming from and why I do it all packed into one simple surname.

Remotenes is indeed Steve Remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday ➡️
steve is a kind, humble and knowledgeable gentleman. his "remote possibilities" forum is full of great stories, ideas and tips. you should visit it when you can.
congrats, steve.
Thanks, but the "Remote Possibilities..." forum is only as good as the members we keep!

I want to congratulate each and everyone of the Remotesters that frequent this awesome forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1ferrari ➡️
Well-done, Steve -- as usual
Awesome; thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenor39 ➡️
Nicely done, Steve! Just read that article today myself. Good to see one of the decent guys getting some accolades for a change.
Thank you my man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H ➡️
Awesome, congrats!!
Thanks, Mats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Freakin' wild; right?
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
One of the most memorable threads I ever saw on Gearslutz was Steve's detailed picture post of, I believe, a conrad herwig latin band recording at the blue note. It blew my mind, the level of detail that was put into that recording. An image that still sticks in my mind is a royer ribbon mic (maybe on a conga?) with a little pop filter-turned-mini gobo blocking sound from the back of it. Amazing.

That thread led me to seek out Steve in real life, and I worked for him for a year (full-time) and some assorted gigs after that. He challenged my attention to detail more than anyone else I've ever worked for or with. The only other place I've seen cable runs that tight was a little fruit stand run by one of the richest corporations on earth...

Anyway, it doesn't get better than a recording by Steve Remote.
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks, Eric!

That's seriously kind of you to say my friend!

It's all in the details with plenty of preproduction to keep things in order; that's what we're all about.

FYI, what's even more amazing to me was the fact that you gave me an opportunity to show you how it's really done at Aura-Sonic...

Most "kids" today rather question the question than work on a solution to the problem or request.

Eric, the thing you did best at Aura-Sonic was listen!

You had questions or thoughts on how we can improve the project at hand, but you have always waited for the right time to address your concerns.

You came on board with limited knowledge of location recording and ended up becoming one the best guys around. You had no clue how to wire our panels and patchbays to my high quality spec, but became one of the best at Aura-Sonic.

Remember, when I named you the "Elco Kid," because you wired those connections roughly three times faster that the "pros" I used to hire!

Ha! A "little fruit" stand run by one of the richest corporations on earth...
I know the corporation you're referring to and it's an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence!

I'm going to bit into a "Red Delicious" and reflect on your kind words!

Thank you so much!

There are two GS thread discussing this live performance recording Eric mentioned...

The original Thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...les-davis.html

Then I copied it to the "Remote Possibilities..." Forum:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...rs-thread.html

Both threads start off the same, but each have a few different posts between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle tromb ➡️
One of the most memorable threads I ever saw on Gearslutz was Steve's detailed picture post of, I believe, a conrad herwig latin band recording at the blue note. It blew my mind, the level of detail that was put into that recording. An image that still sticks in my mind is a royer ribbon mic (maybe on a conga?) with a little pop filter-turned-mini gobo blocking sound from the back of it. Amazing.

That thread led me to seek out Steve in real life, and I worked for him for a year (full-time) and some assorted gigs after that. He challenged my attention to detail more than anyone else I've ever worked for or with. The only other place I've seen cable runs that tight was a little fruit stand run by one of the richest corporations on earth...

Anyway, it doesn't get better than a recording by Steve Remote.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Haven't read the article, don't have Stereophile Magazine here, but the quote speaks for itself.

But one I can say with full 1st hand experience is that the Remote forum is the forum here on GS...

Congrats from a fellow Milab user

::
Mads
Old 20th November 2012
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks!

Talking about Milab, we use Milab DC96Bs for the audience mics on each and every recording I every did for the Half Note "Live at the Blue Note" series!

I set them up for the first gig and have been using them ever since!
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the December 2012 issue of Stereophile Magazine they would like to sell to me?

It would e greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey Steve. Probably already tried this but did you talk to the folks at Stereophile? They might have a copy in the morgue.

Sorry for the obvious if it was.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I haven't reach out to them. I will give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Hey Steve. Probably already tried this but did you talk to the folks at Stereophile? They might have a copy in the morgue.

Sorry for the obvious if it was.

D.
📝 Reply