The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording vocals in a car?
Old 11th July 2006
  #1
Question Recording vocals in a car?

Anyone done this? I have done a lot of singing in there over the years and recently I realized the ambience is pretty tight. The space, all the glass, etc. A pretty unique vocal chamber?
Old 11th July 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
I've often wished I could mount a U47 on my dashboard. It *does* sound pretty sweet in there...why is that? The angle of the glass and the plastic of the dash or something?
Old 11th July 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 

i guess a portable battery powered multi-tracker with a 58 would do the trick... i don't know if those portable trackers have phantom power, or if they do... how much battery life you'd get using a condenser, or you could run a cable out to the parking lot.

post back if you actually do this, i'm interested to know how it would work out.
Old 11th July 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Someone posted a car as vocal booth thread here a while back. It was freaking hilarious. I think the car was in a barn. They were some of the best photos ever.


Ah. Here it is:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ar+vocal+booth
Old 12th July 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
I've often wished I could mount a U47 on my dashboard. It *does* sound pretty sweet in there...why is that? The angle of the glass and the plastic of the dash or something?
Most passenger cars are fairly dead. There's all kinds of stuff in there to keep road noise down as much as possible.
Old 16th May 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
wildpark's Avatar
 

thats fine

jes i do this sometimes you never need a u47 here

a gefell um70 or a old original battery powerd u87 is nice too

this direktly in my apogee too macbook.




sometimes the car is the best booth with the best view !

inspiration is sometimes more as a black box how you have sometimes screamt cuz

you was without inspiration!.

patrick
Old 16th May 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
zimv20's Avatar
 

ah, so we're not talking about singing into a PDA while driving with the windows down. because i was given one of those tracks once...
Old 16th May 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
I forget the artists name, but a couple years ago a guy recorded his whole album in his car.
Old 16th May 2007
  #9
13036
Guest
Ween recorded some vocals in a car, possibly as well as in an automated car wash, IIRC.
I'd guess this was on one of their earlier records.
Ben
Old 16th May 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Anyone done this? I have done a lot of singing in there over the years and recently I realized the ambience is pretty tight. The space, all the glass, etc. A pretty unique vocal chamber?


Would you want to play tennis on a ping pong table ?
Old 16th May 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Which car will sound best?

Maybe some vintage Fords?

heh
Old 16th May 2007
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Jeff S's Avatar
Slightly off topic but it does involve a car

Before my studio took over my barn completely, it used to share space with a few of my old cars. On more than one occasion I've used the back seat of my 1955 Olds as a guitar iso-booth. It's like a small couch back there (it's a 4 door hard-top). Clients thought it was the coolest thing ... Go figure - I will say that is did a great job, sounded tight and gave them something to talk about. WARNING: will not work with Marshall stacks
Old 15th July 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 

I just did a search on this cause my car has the most amazing acoustics. I is dead a door nail yet lively and bright. My car is a Honda Accord 2000. Im gonna need some long cables!
Old 15th July 2007
  #14
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
FWIW, Altiverb has some car IRs, i believe.. and a van, too....

might be a more controlled way to achieve the effect... the ease of the full blown studio, with the sound of the car cabin..
Old 15th July 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 

When I was flatting in the early 90's and doing the 4 track thing, I would often drive out into the country and record my vocals in my car (a Mini).

Cars are sealed fairly airtight, and have lots of bass trapping (seats) and non-parallel walls (windows). A DC recording system is immune from AC hum (unless you park under power pylon).

If I wanted to do this today, I would take an iPod with the guide track. A Portico preamp can run off 12 Volts DC, and record to an M-Audio Microtracker or some other 24 bit silent battery powered recorder.

I'm waiting for manufacturs to start building decent silent DC multitrackers (not the Boss toys - I mean Decent silent DC multitrackers). The possibilities for easy recording in strange acoustic spaces would be awewome.
Old 15th July 2007
  #16
Gear Head
 
Scott 1/2 Normal's Avatar
 

As a film and TV location recordist, I've recorded thousands of voices in thousands of cars - literally. They are always fairly easy spaces to work.

The best results I ever got was a film in which every line of dialogue was between to blokes in the front of a truck. At the time I remember thinking how good it would be as a vocal booth.

It was a Toyota Dyna (2 Tonne thing) and I placed a Neumann KM84 (real ones) on each character. I just fixed one to each internal sun visor, pointing down to each character at about 45 degrees. The results were great. The off axis response of the 84's is fantastic, I just mixed them to mono on my Nagra IV, just nudging each one up and down to avoid phase incoherrance. Beautiful results.

Now the ecconomic reality - a Dyna truck costs around $45K and would be pretty hard to fit in most studios. You can get a decent, fully floating voice booth built for around $20K by a leading acoustician / builder!

On the other hand, you can't get a gig doing deliveries in your voice booth during down time.

It's a quandry allright!
Old 15th July 2007
  #17
I hang Sankens off the sun visors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 1/2 Normal View Post
As a film and TV location recordist, I've recorded thousands of voices in thousands of cars - literally. They are always fairly easy spaces to work.

The best results I ever got was a film in which every line of dialogue was between to blokes in the front of a truck. At the time I remember thinking how good it would be as a vocal booth.

It was a Toyota Dyna (2 Tonne thing) and I placed a Neumann KM84 (real ones) on each character. I just fixed one to each internal sun visor, pointing down to each character at about 45 degrees. The results were great. The off axis response of the 84's is fantastic, I just mixed them to mono on my Nagra IV, just nudging each one up and down to avoid phase incoherrance. Beautiful results.

Now the ecconomic reality - a Dyna truck costs around $45K and would be pretty hard to fit in most studios. You can get a decent, fully floating voice booth built for around $20K by a leading acoustician / builder!

On the other hand, you can't get a gig doing deliveries in your voice booth during down time.

It's a quandry allright!
Old 16th July 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Daniel Antix's Avatar
I know some voice overs who record radio commercials in their car with a laptop and a podcast microphone... not for the sound but usually to save time because they are so busy going from gig to gig... also a good way to get work in all the major cities round aus... especially handy when it's 5pm on friday and you have a commercial that was just approved and needs to be on air 1st thing monday morning.
Old 16th July 2007
  #19
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

So in other words the car is a great vocal sound, how can you stand up in a car ?, sitting down is not doing your best vocals, this would be a chorus teachers nightmare to hear such. We was always taught to sing standing up.
Old 16th July 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza2 View Post
So in other words the car is a great vocal sound, how can you stand up in a car ?, sitting down is not doing your best vocals, this would be a chorus teachers nightmare to hear such. We was always taught to sing standing up.
This is true for "proper" singing, howevever we all know that there can be needs for things asides from technically proper singing. I'm sure no choir teacher would approve of Screamo vocalist style singing, but it's a genre anyways.
Old 16th July 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Jeez. Seems like the hardest part would be climate control, and outside noise rejection.

Pretty cool idea for sure though!
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Gene recorded the vocals to the song Candi from Chocolate and Cheese in the the trunk of Dean's car
-M
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear