The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soprano distortion
Old 3 weeks ago
I was just wondering if this problem is really caused by Large Diaphragm Capacitor mics which generally increase the volume of the high frequencies by a few dB?

Would using ribbon mic's cure this problem?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Soprano? TLM 170i.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACOMO-_ View Post
Soprano? TLM 170i.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
I was just wondering if this problem is really caused by Large Diaphragm Capacitor mics which generally increase the volume of the high frequencies by a few dB?

Certainly any mic that has boosted upper-mids will make the problem worse and using a flat frequency response mic is ideal.
( I use 8040/8050’s, Josephson C617’s and
for stage vocals DPA 4018 Linear (dFacto linear)
which limits the problem).

Regardless, if you have an already problematic recording the techniques I mentioned can be very helpful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post

Hi Lurcher, it is real! It is why Neumann developed the M50 back in the 40s. I thought it had been discussed earlier in the thread, it you can read about the physics of it on page 4 & 5 here https://assets.sennheiser.com/global...tePaper_en.pdf
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanderbrook View Post
Hi Lurcher, it is real! It is why Neumann developed the M50 back in the 40s. I thought it had been discussed earlier in the thread, it you can read about the physics of it on page 4 & 5 here https://assets.sennheiser.com/global...tePaper_en.pdf
Thanks for the interesting link which I may have seen briefly before.

I'm not that well versed in the technical details and I tend to judge mic's by the sound they capture, and have felt that capacitor mic's generally (although maybe not all) do have a certain harsh quality in the upper frequencies and I often detect a sort of metallic sound on commercial recordings, but rarely on my recordings as I tend to use ribbon mic's and other dynamic mic's which I feel (rightly or wrongly) do not exaggerate the high frequencies. This may be why I generally do not like Neumann capacitor mics, although I have no experience of many of (in particular) the older very expensive mics such as M50's etc.

I have found that capacitor mic's can produce sibilance on female voices especially on spoken word, but I know this can be reduced by the use of pop screens and angled mic's. However I generally prefer the sound of ribbon mics and I like small diameter capacitor omni mics for instruments such as the pianoforte and strings. But I'm not really a professional engineer although I have produced the odd CD.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search